Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF-100 totally worth it

On 8/15/2018 at 8:00 PM, Nevadazielmeister said:

Thank you for posting your helpful tips. I am contemplating buying one but had a question. Does vibration from reloading on the same bench cause flipped primers? I have a gun mat but have the bench mounted to the wall. This bench is SUPER sturdy and barely moves when I reload, so just curious about your comment above. 

Can you make adjustments to its plumbness? I have my bench level, but wasn't sure if I need to be thinking about shims (pieces of paper?). 

I use shims under the feet to plumb it.

Again, I see a lot of complaints here about flipped primers. If it goes into the top of the tube right side up, it will come out the bottom right side up. Adjust the vibration speed so it does not flip them, and you should be golden. Load a tube or two and then unload them carefully one at a time back into the tray. Once you have the adjustment correct, you should not see any flipped primers come out into the tray.

And also, again, the biggest cupret in flipped primers (on a 650) is having the shell plate too loose!!!

jj

I've had one for about 2 years now and would never go back to picking primers up by hand with a tube. Never I say!

My tweaks:

1. The first thing I did was sit the machine on a common mouse pad. This seems to keep the vibrations from resonating into the bench top.

2. I adjusted the clear plastic stabilizer plate that is located in the front of the bowl. This is probably the most critical item needing attention to ensure proper filling of the tube. If too large a  gap is used you will get upside down primers. If too small a gap is used primer movement can abruptly stop (clog up), or too many primers will fall off the ramp and it will take much too long to fill the tube. If your are running past the pre-set time limit on the rheostat switch then you need to adjust this piece.

3. I leave my rheostat set (speed control) for light primers such as Winchesters. CCIs run slower because they are heavier.

4. Sometimes with the lighter primers, such as the Winchesters, they will bounce a little as they move into the entry to the tube drop and bunch up and stop moving. I have solved this problem by simply leaving out the 4 bolts that hold the clear plastic cover in place and remove the cover just before I start the machine. If a primer happens to bind and stop the flow of traffic I flick it out of the way with a toothpick. The cool part is watching the primers go round with the cover off. And, I haven't had an upside down primer in ages. When done I slip the cover back over the head and that's that.

I hope this helps.

Mike

P.S. I just now timed how long it took 100 Winchester primers to go into the tube. With the primers in the bowl I thru the switch and it took 55 seconds with no upside down primers.

Pick up primers by hand? Not bloody likely!  :lol:

Edited by MikieM

• 1 month later...

Great tips....will have to try all when I get my reloading space set up again. Just one tip from me; if you need to shim use blades from an old feeler gauge. Unlike paper they will not compress or fall apart. Insert the feeler gauge shims and test, once you know all is plum and working correctly put a dab of superglue on the shim(s) and permanently affix them. Also, as mentioned before I will never use pick up tubes again!

• 2 weeks later...
On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 12:36 PM, GrumpyOne said:

I've found that with the Remington primers, the anvil is not seated completely in the cup when you take the out of the package. The anvil is then completely seated when you seat the primer in the case. I don't know if this has any effect on using the RF-100 though.

With Winchester or cci primers I may have 1 upside down primer per 800 but with the Remington I get 1 out of 100.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW: Maybe once a year, or so, I will take a Q-Tip soaked in non-acetone nail polish remover and swab the ramp in the head where the primers go round.

I think it does two things. It cleans the ramp surface, obviously, but I think it also etches the surface of the ramp ever so slightly, helping the primers move around a bit more easily.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:04 AM, 858 said:

After reading this thread maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. I just dump primers in my machine and it puts them in the tube. Fiocchi and Winchester just move right along. If I turn the speed up too far it'll put primers in upside down.

Same here, I bought one used a few months ago, it came setup for large primer, I switched it to small(the small conversion was never even used) and tweaked it for 5 min. 

Have loaded ~20k CCI 450s with it since then and haven’t touched a thing and haven’t had one upsidedown primer

Edited by JatCarver