Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk to me about shotguns.

Ron Ankeny

Well I got my 3-gun rifle figured out and now I need to come up with a shotgun. I use a Benelli Super 90 for hunting birds and I checked into the price of a mag extendion and a new barrel. They are kind of expensive, but I don't want to spend over a grand to get a new gun.

What length barrel do you guys recommend? Also, I have a choice between ghost ring and rifle sights. Pros and cons of each...?

Ron I am by no means an expert, but heres what I think:) I shoot a 12 gauge 1100 cut down to 22" with an extension even with the barrel. Sights are double bead on a target rib. Our club is IDPA, so keep that in mind. But if I was going to buy a new scattergun for 3 gun I would get an Remington 1187 in 20 gauge and set it up just like my 1100. My suggestion is for a limited type gun. I will leave the open suggestions to others.

Keith

I have been on this forum since the old board and it amazes me how much stuff I miss. I just wandered over to the rifle/shotgun threads and my questions were answered. My Super 90 has a 28 inch barrel and I recently added a mid-rib bead. I shoot this gun a lot while hunting and I shoot trap on occasion too. Looks like all I need is a mag extension and a way to carry some shells and I am on my way.

Ron,

Shoot what you got.  When challenges present themselves that can only be solved my new equipment, you'll realize it.  I'm betting that doesn't happen unless you guys do a lot of house clearing scenarios with shotguns..... For me the fastest reloads come off the gun, Buchanan Bagworks (www.3gungear.com) makes a nifty 8 round sidesaddle for the Benelli, I think.  California Comp Works makes shot shell holders for the belt, they're fine for stages where you don't have to prone out or really run.  Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Ron,

Do you get Front Sight? There is a article on 5 shotguns based on the speed of split times. The author says the Winchester Super X2 Practical is THE shit. As for under a grand- they are selling for 775.00 thru one dealer and already have the good sights (fiber optic front),the "speed spoon", 8+1 tube extension, and a picatinny rail. I e-mailed you the particulars. I'm trying to scrounge the cash to get one myself.

Merry Christmas,

Chris

(Edited by Chris Jordan at 11:22 am on Dec. 24, 2001)