Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Auto-drum long term updates?

xdr

Would be curious to hear any long term reviews updates on this powder measure. I have one, but really just put it into use yesterday on my loadmaster press for 9mm.

After seeing how easy it was to set up and dial in plus how accurate it throws TG, I am also wondering if anyone has used it on a Dillon 650?

Thanks

xdr 

I got an auto drum as soon as they became available, even signed up on the titan website so I would be one of the first to order one.  Really enjoy it, cant imagine I would use any other measure no matter the press I was using.  Is it the highest quality measure out there, of course not.  But the ease of use, setup, adjustment, and consistent throws no matter the powder I'm using, it will be hard to replace it with anything currently on the market.  I use mine on loadmaster presses but I do know of a few guys running them on 650's and are happy with them.

I did have a one auto drum break on me though.  It came on a used Loadmaster I bought used real cheap from a guy who did not take care of his stuff at all.  The press was pretty jacked up with several broken and misadjusted parts anyway so I'm not totally sure it wasn't damaged before I got it, but the body of it broke where it screws into the die.  Broke while flairing/charging a case and ended up popping the hopper off with a mostly full load of powder in it that spilled all over the loading bench.  

This is great input. Mine seems to be well dialed in now and seems to get more accurate the more I use it. It does spit a little powder over a run of 100 or so and I am not sure from where. It really is minor though. The powder accumulates on the top of my press near where you can see the heavy spring on the autodrum.

This is for 9mm with titegroup. 

The ability to fine tune a load is what I like about it. The autodisk system is great, but not easy to get the exact charge you want unless you modify the disk etc... 

Thanks

xdr

Have 3, 2 running on LnL's and the third on a LCT.

The 9mm LnL has seen at least 50K run through the AutoDrum without the slightest issue. It was a set and forget from the beginning using WSF or WAC.

The others are repeatedly moved to different die sets and have drum changes. Haven't had the same volume but again no issues.

Yes, I would prefer that they were made of higher quality materials and there are a few other changes I would like to see like the hopper more securely attached but it does work as advertised.

Really like the small footprint on the press compared to the other powder measures.

2 hours ago, OzzieDoc said:

Really like the small footprint on the press compared to the other powder measures.

Great point...it really doesnt take up much room. 

• 2 weeks later...

To attach to a 650....

I do not know if a lee riser is required...  I suspect it is

I never tried to set the auto-drum up without it.

a lee powder funnel die, a lee powder riser, and  the auto drum.

fills cases with powder...

miranda

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 1:43 PM, dave33 said:

I did have a one auto drum break on me though.  It came on a used Loadmaster I bought used real cheap from a guy who did not take care of his stuff at all.  The press was pretty jacked up with several broken and misadjusted parts anyway so I'm not totally sure it wasn't damaged before I got it, but the body of it broke where it screws into the die.  Broke while flairing/charging a case and ended up popping the hopper off with a mostly full load of powder in it that spilled all over the loading bench.  

Mine broke in the exact same way.  One of the two arms that holds the metal body onto the die snapped off while flaring.  Powder measure went flying one way, hopper the other, powder everywhere :angry:.  It was luckily just within Lee's 2 year warranty period for free replacement so I got a new powder measure body.  I'm not sure if they would've charged me if it were just a month or two older, but I definitely didn't load enough on it that it should've been past its useful life...

Otherwise it works pretty well.  It does leak a bit when loading with WST.  I found one drum that won't leak, but tried a few others that leak no matter how I try tightening them down.

I bought one when they first came out. 26k this year, 13k last year. 

It meters TG very well. It SUX measuring Clays.  i love clays,  but have gone back to TG for the consistency. 

Cleaned it recently and it still looks good internally.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had problems with 2 of them 1 just stopped full cycling and could never get it to cycle smoothly it would drop a charges for a while then it would stick and not drop the other the gears inside broke into pieces I have gone back to the lee pro disc 

Edited by vaskeet

• 1 month later...

So I've had one for about a year which I LOVED up till now. 

Btw it's running on a 650 with billet feeder. To make it fit you need:

2 x Lee powder measure risers

1x lee powder through die with appropriate caliber funnel. 

Ived used mine with 10 disks with different loads for:

3n38

n350

autocomp

clays

universal

ap100

in 9mm and supercomp. 

Just recently I had a few instances of it throwing very light loads in 3n38 and universal. Like almost squibs. 

I thought maybe the little arm was moving from fully outward position so I put a bit of plastic behind it. No fix. 

Ive now noticed it dropping less consistent drops and occasionally really light drops. This seems to happy more if I'm cycling the press quickly. If I slow right down it seems better but slowing down is not a solution I can live with and it wasn't like this for at least 20,000 loaded rounds. 

Ive also now noticed its leaking some powder onto the top of the toolhead but it only seems to do this with autocomp. 

Its really annoying. I love being able to have one drum for every load. I love how easy it is to move between toolheads and how easy powder changes are. I love not having the clunky Dillon fail safe. 

But none of that helps me if it wont throw reliable charges and at a rate I like to load at (around 1,000/hour). 

Im currently considering buying a new one to try? Or maybe I can clean mine up somehow?

the strange part is watching the measure it cycles fully (at least to my eye) every stroke. 

Im really sad cause I really loved this measure. :(

Small update. Pulled it apart and looked at it carefully. 

1: the arm position being right out is not critical. 

2: the rubber seal on mine looks to maybe have shrunk a little. I centered it up in its slot. 

3: I broke open a new pack of drums and noticed 2 things. The 'large' drums I converted to small have larger larger diameter powder  chambers. The little cap shortens it but it's still larger diameter than the small drums. 

4: the new drums I got (bought about 3mths ago) have a roughish texture around the 'flange' surface. My older ones are smooth. 

The drum I had set for my autocomp load was one of the 'converted' large drums. I replaced it with a new small drum. 

Loaded 300 rounds. Leaking is gone. Drop seems more consistent. I had a few that were .5gn light but the drum might need a little break in. 

Feeling a bit more positive but not 100% there yet. 

• 2 months later...
Small update. Pulled it apart and looked at it carefully. 

1: the arm position being right out is not critical. 

2: the rubber seal on mine looks to maybe have shrunk a little. I centered it up in its slot. 

3: I broke open a new pack of drums and noticed 2 things. The 'large' drums I converted to small have larger larger diameter powder  chambers. The little cap shortens it but it's still larger diameter than the small drums. 

4: the new drums I got (bought about 3mths ago) have a roughish texture around the 'flange' surface. My older ones are smooth. 

The drum I had set for my autocomp load was one of the 'converted' large drums. I replaced it with a new small drum. 

Loaded 300 rounds. Leaking is gone. Drop seems more consistent. I had a few that were .5gn light but the drum might need a little break in. 

Feeling a bit more positive but not 100% there yet. 
Can you post a pic or two of the old vs new drums? Mine are smooth.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have just started using a glass hopper from Dram Worx. This hopper fits over the mouth of the dispenser and is held in place with two set screws. It loses the ability to rotate the hopper to turn it off and it is no longer removable to drain.

The plus side is the new hopper has a powder baffle inside. This should help keep the charges consistent. The hopper is Pyrex glass so it won't stain. Probably the best thing is it will hold about a full pound of powder. Definite improvement when loading 223 or 308.

https://dramworx.com/lee/

Edited by Tokarev

• 2 months later...

Crap! My dispenser body broke as others have reported. Fortunately the hopper fell into my lap and I was able to catch it before it hit the floor.

I emailed Lee about it and sent them this photo. They were quick to respond with instructions to return the measure and will replace it under warranty.

We'll see what the new measure looks like and if Lee has made any tweaks. It looks like they might have to change the material or redesign the dispenser where it joins to the wheel that goes to the powder die. f0f330c862335cb7ddf562df83885d57.jpg

Mine is still working very well,  use it to load .223 with H-335 and have never had any problems with it.  I probably don't load as much anymore as a lot of members here, but it is still working like when I received it.