Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silhouette temperature sensitivity

zzt

In mid-Summer I loaded 3000 rounds with Silhouette to 170PF, because I could not get WAC at the time.  At the last shoot the temps were in the low 40s and I had a lot of stovepipe jams.   The same gun ran perfectly with the same loads in the match the day before (70s).  So I'm guessing there was power loss due to the cold.

Does anyone know how temp sensitive Silhouette is, and to what degree?

your millage may vary,  based on gun or oal or.   But I always found it to be inverse temperature sensitive to enough extent that a load hot enough to trust across a match chrono in the summer  was hotter than i wanted in cool weather.

I think i was bumping up and down like .2-.3 grains.

The other thing i have noticed is that silhouette varries from lot to lot enough to have to pay attention to it.

I took the same gun, mags and ammo to the range today and fired off a quick 40 rounds.  No issues.  The only difference was the temp was 70 instead of low 40s.  So inverse sensitivity does not seem to be the case.

Don, I use SuperLube synthetic oil with PTFE.  I has the same viscosity from freezing to 95 degrees. Actually more than that, but that is the range I shoot in.  It is definitely not the lube.