Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with Rifle Turned on Its Side

I shot a match this weekend (run & gun type 2-gun) that featured the need to roll the rifle 90 degrees to make shots on 2 stages.  (One was under a car, one target each right and left handed, and the other was through a very low horizontal port.)  It gave me a really tough time.

I've done it before, with an EoTech at relatively short (25-50m) ranges.  This time it was with a 1-4x scope, at something like 75-125m or so, and it gave me fits.

Can anyone descripe  What shooting is such a position does to the relationship between POA and POI?

And any tips for practicing such shooting if your local range discourages such unconventional things?

The advice i always got was when you shoot with the gun on its side (eithe side) was hold torward the magazine and high. Thats due to the elevation you have dialed into the scope to cause the trajectory of the bullet to cross the line of sight now becoming windage when the rifle is on its side  and holding high because you now don't effectively have any elevation on the scope. You should go practice it on a large paper target at different distances to understand to effect (say a uspsa target)

Edited by caspian guy

Caspian guy pretty much nails it.

A few other observations, sometimes overlooked.

For ports, walls, and other nearby props don't forget height overbore just became a horizontal offset. Watched a majority of PCC shooters blast a close wall frame rolling the rifle over instead of leaning this past weekend. I've seen Vtac barricades take similar abuse when staying back.

If you get the ejection port near enough a the ground or whatever you can induce malfunctions.

2 hours ago, Beef15 said:

For ports, walls, and other nearby props don't forget height overbore just became a horizontal offset. Watched a majority of PCC shooters blast a close wall frame rolling the rifle over instead of leaning this past weekend. I've seen Vtac barricades take similar abuse when staying back.

Done that with a rifle. Just leaning to get around the wall. Stayed back, instead of using the frame for support.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 4:33 PM, JWil said:

I know you got the answer, but here is a good visual.  I remember based on holding on the mag side and high as well.

59fa2d7c7dd90_RiflecantPOA-POI.jpg.7d7737d932185e289f666dfb337ee3b4.jpg

Basically this. Although I've gone out and tested it at the range, and at 100 yards my rounds don't drop. I actually get a more consistent vertical spread than normal, but it makes my head feel funny so I try not to do it too often. For the top two targets in this image (90 Ejection port up/down) my rounds would impact at the top of the A box perforation.

• 5 months later...

In the frank proctor carbine video he covers this with an easy way to remember - hold in the direction of the magwell.

same advice as the ejection port but may be easier to remember   

Edited by emjbe

• 4 months later...

Already nailed it but bias the side of the magwell (think of your zero distance here for range hold over/under, its just horizontal now instead of vertical, for visualization in shorter distances) Keep in mind that the farther out you go, the more you will hold to the side of the magwell... and now your bullet no longer has a MPBR/50/100/200/whatever yard zero, so you will have to manually compensate for drop depending on range.

In short, high and to the side of the magwell, magnitude dependent on range.

Play around with a vtac barricade at ~150-200 if you can, its fun!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...