Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik 23rd. Mags

OPENB

I picked up 3 18rd. mags when I bought my TP9SFx. They were $6 cheaper than the 20rd. mags, and I knew I would want to get max capacity in a 140mm mag for carry optics. I've had great luck with Taylor Freelance base pads for other platforms, and they were $5 cheaper than TTI, and have fitted the gauge. I tried to trim the stock springs to get to 23, but the follower is just too tall to get it. TF carries Grams spring/follower kits for CZ mags, which is the correct base pad also. So, with CZ bases & Grams spring kits, the 18rd. tube holds 23 with a little room for easy loading on a closed slide. In case anyone is looking for an easy max capacity set up for CO. 

Open B...Could you post a little more info?.... Is your set up similar to the red one shown on the sight (allen screw in bottom) and there appears to be 2 different springs shown> I don't want to get the wrong items. Thanks.

I started with Mec-gar made 18rd. Canik mags from AIM Surplus. They have a polished finish, but are otherwise the same tubes as the stock mags. From TF, I got the Grams spring kits for CZ mags made by Mec-gar, & the black +5 CZ base pads that have the retaining screw in the back. They are also available in red. Swap the spring/follower, slide on the CZ base pad, tighten the screw, done. 

I guess I got the last 2 Grams spring kits until they are restocked. They shipped me 2, I'm waiting on the 3rd one. 

I just got off the phone with TF this minute.... They are working on mag extensions for the Canik's. (I would guess the Walther also, didn't ask), said to check back on their web sight in a month.. It seems the TF's CZ products are about .030 to long for the USPSA gauge test and the spring can move internally a bit (noisy). (For USPSA he said a slight amount of material must be removed from the bottom of the mag extension to insure 140 mm compliance). I was also told the stock spring would be adequate (guessing the 20 round one as it is longer than the 18 rounder when the extension is released..... Say tuned.... had a fellow shooter 170 mm mags questioned.... He had put grip tape on the bottoms and the tape made the mags too long....Luckly, it was a local match and he removed the tape and was "legal"....

First thing I did was gauge them, mine fit. I tried the factory 20rd. spring & could get 22. I wanted 23 because that is what I get in my EAA mags. Is it worth $18 for a Grams kit to get one more round? Maybe. Cool they are paying attention to the platform. 

Edited by OPENB

OpenB, Yep, $18 is good... Never know when that 1 extra round will come in handy...   I put the slide assist screw in, no one bitched yet, helps me racking the slide. Since it came with the gun, I suppose it's "legal"......I gave TF a little verbal praise, I use their +10 in one of my PPC / Glock lowers. It's been 100% with all types of 9mm bullets.

Spent couple hours reading rules for both divisions. It says no modifications not specifically authorized. Until this gun, I'm not aware of any factory gun with an included slide racker, so to add one was to make a non-specified modification. Since it would not be a modification to use this one, it may be legal, I think? I asked someone more rules knowledgeable than me, & he said "ask Troy." I was earlier parroting the "slide rackers only in open & limited" I had heard. 

I just asked Troy. Hope he says yes, it'd be just like my open gun. 

Edited by OPENB

id like to see a picture of what we are talking about, but I see nothing in the rules that support saying it isnt legal.
Does it come with the normal gun ?
Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below.
Nothing in the clarification applies and this isnt a custom shop gun,
Hah,, think I found a picture of it,, yeh thats a pretty big slide racker,, can see why it wouldnt fly, but to be correct probably need to edit the bullet comments on top of the production approved list,, as it specifically only addresses factory mag funnels.

Edited by Joe4d

Oh, I thought you had one.  The Canik TP9SFX comes with several plates to mount various red dots. The plates have holes on either side that accept a knurled slide racker. The racker is included with the gun, & is in a little tool kit in the box. And Troy said it is not legal to use in CO or Production. He said 21.6 & 22 of the Appendix for each division. 

Played with one at a gun store and saw all the accessories but didnt notice the slide racker.
I read those appendix's,,  there is no verbiage in either that prohibits OEM parts on an approved gun. OEM mags, mag funnels have limitations,, but no mention of anything else.
Guess he is using the same logic that is approving one guys after market Sig trigger but not anothers. 

The "slide racker/screw/assist"....It comes with the gun, all factory. I can't see how USPSA can bend the "rules" to fit the situation?????... I have arthritis in my hands, it helps me....NO advantage gained, just a little more comfortable for me. I don't have a "box" but it should fit anyhow????....