Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage 3 2017 OK State

B_RAD

First stage of the day.  Time: 26.43    Hits: 27A, 4C, 1D

I feel like my transitions are slow. Probably the number one thing I want to improve on this off season!

I wonder if I'm setting up to hard.  I remember feeling like I was taking forever on the first shot. Though, I just wanted to start off well!

The miss on the steel (and make up) cost me 2 sec probably. 

The extra 2 shots an the swinger weren't needed I had 2A 2C on it. The extra 1.5 sec wasn't worth the extra A.  Was too scared to have a miss so I waited for the swinger to dwell again and fired two more shots.

Please critique! 

Edited by B_RAD

I think your critiques are on par for what I noticed.

The only thing that really stands out to me that you didn't mention is your left foot position after your 2nd reload engaging that back array. You have all of your weight on your right foot which possibly caused you to miss your 1st shot on steel and,  I'm just guessing here out of the blue, have a D on the far right target in that same array. If you had both feet planted, you would have been a lot more stable to shoot those mid to longer range shots.

Just from personal experience, not saying this is the only answer but, when I have to come into an array like that one I would rather plant my left foot on the fault line ( If i know that I'll put that as a detail in my stage plan) so I have a standard/comfortable shooting position. While that might feel a tad uncomfortable to shoot that far left target, it's a lot closer than the others and I'd rather be in the best/most stable to shoot good shots on the longer range stuff. Plus with your left foot being forward, having to move to the right can start sooner/be easier since your legs aren't crossed up. 

39 minutes ago, Jimboslice said:

I think your critiques are on par for what I noticed.

The only thing that really stands out to me that you didn't mention is your left foot position after your 2nd reload engaging that back array. You have all of your weight on your right foot which possibly caused you to miss your 1st shot on steel and,  I'm just guessing here out of the blue, have a D on the far right target in that same array. If you had both feet planted, you would have been a lot more stable to shoot those mid to longer range shots.

Just from personal experience, not saying this is the only answer but, when I have to come into an array like that one I would rather plant my left foot on the fault line ( If i know that I'll put that as a detail in my stage plan) so I have a standard/comfortable shooting position. While that might feel a tad uncomfortable to shoot that far left target, it's a lot closer than the others and I'd rather be in the best/most stable to shoot good shots on the longer range stuff. Plus with your left foot being forward, having to move to the right can start sooner/be easier since your legs aren't crossed up. 

Great point!  Agree 100%.

I knew I was off balance when seeing it on the video but thought because of the far left target it was acceptable but you make an excellent point.  

Thanks  

I think transition slowness is partially due to the footwork. You could have set up with wider, deeper, Hwansik-style stances and driven the gun more aggressively in nearly every position with your legs. So I’m going to echo the footwork suggestions.

Also the foot speed in general when moving. Watching @Maxamundo‘s videos nowadays, I feel like the rest of us run in slow motion. He moves like a weasel on crack. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

54 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Reload sooner. Both in the timing of it during your exit/change of position and in its rapidity. You gave a second away on this stage just there.

Another thing on my list to work on over this winter!  I was watching Ben Stoeger shoot nats and talk about reloading fast. Really efficient in getting the mag out of the pouch and moving at the same time and supper fast. Then getting it in the gun. 

It's like playing the drums in a way. Your hands and feet are moving at different speeds doing different things. Often we are moving both at the same speed because we haven't trained to do otherwise. And as I'm guilty of this myself it is easy to spot in others.