Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Run & Gun Anyone?

Langenator

I just did my first run & gun event this past weekend - the Waco Tactical Fitness WTF Tactical Biathlon.  The event had a 10km run with 7 shooting stages on Saturday, and a 5km event with 6 shooting stages on Sunday.  I did the 5k.  wtfbiathlon.com

I had a lot of fun, but then, I'm a masochist who likes running and obstacle course races like the Spartan Race. (It showed, too - I placed 18th overall in the 5k, with my raw run time being 12th and my average shooting stage placing around 21st.)

Up to now, my main shooting sports have been USPSA and 3-gun.  And of course, the equipment set for RNG is different than either.  I'm retired Army, and used my surplus gear, my 3-gun rifle, and my full-size carry pistol.  The only thing I had to buy was a retention holster.

Of course, I'l want to improve my equipment.  But an excuse to build another rifle is never a bad thing!

Edited by Langenator

• 4 weeks later...

That's awesome. I've heard about run and guns for the past year or so and just recently got the courage to sign up for my first one - the Lonestar Armory Run and Gun scheduled for the end of February near Cresson, Texas:

https://texasrunandgun.org/2018-lone-star-armory-series-opener-run-and-gun/

I'm a complete novice when it comes to the shooting sports. The only other competitions I've done include an IDPA match over 5 years ago and an NRA service pistol match about 3 years ago. I'm wondering if I may have bitten off more than I can chew by skipping 3-gun altogether and going straight for a 5 to 7 mile, obstacle-course-laden "biathlon" - lol! 

I see that you're from Virginia? Did you travel all the way down to Waco for the WTF Biathlon? What kind of surplus gear did you use? What rifle are you thinking of building for your next run and gun? I don't really have much in the way of gear and am wondering if I can get by with lugging all the necessary mags, ammo and a water bottle or two in a backpack?