Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sh!t Happens, even to experienced shooters

PaulW

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As many have already said, thanks for posting, this is good information to tell to people that THINK they know everything, that even an experienced person under pressure conditions can make a mistake.    I hope that this story reaches out to others and reinforces as it did to me, that practicing always helps.  

So gun was filthy as the range was quite muddy. Spent the morning cleaning it up. Nothing looks amis but a shooting buddy is coming over later and we will do the magazine insertion test that Cha-lee suggested.

Appreciate all the well wishes too.

Well boys and girls, ladies and gentleman....the results are in from the intial test to see if there was a mechanical failure of the pistol.

I did the full mag test on cocked striker...slamming it home silly hard, striker held. Buddy of mine, a master limited shooter did hard as hell surrender draws, striker held. Did draws from all angles, top, side, striker held. Held gun by muzzle and smacked the back as hard as possible, striker held.

Checked holster closely as well and nothing looked wrong or anything that could snag the trigger.

So at this point I can really only blame myself, nothing else adds up. My ego wishes it to be different but I want to be open and honest and I will do so. 

I am thinking about taking it to a gunsmith for another set of eyes just in case. But we really went overboard with the harshness of our tests this afternoon and not on failure.

What do I from here? I have started to plan this out. One....lots of draws and dry fire before I shoot again. Two, repeat step one. Three, I think I am only going to shoot guns with a manual thumb safety.  Yes an AD could and has happened with these types of guns, namely 1911/2011 platforms, but it is what I know best. I have spent 20 years shooting these guns and I believe a thumb safety "could" buy you a little time to get muzzle further away from your body.

So thats where I am at. I am now able to walk, ok hobble on my own. Being laid up has allowed me a lot of time to reflect and make my go forward plan.

Lastly, I plan to put my own first aid kit together and have with me when shooting. We really did lack any first aid/trauma kits close by.

Thanks again for reading and stay safe out there.

DVC,

Paul Whitacre

Edited by PaulW
Spelling

You may want to look at the Invictus hanger. Similar to the DOH hanger but made of metal. I got one to try out the other day and had to bend it a little in the vice so the holster would point straight down. It should work with your existing holster and attachment point (tek-lok?)

ip_hh-s.jpg

I was thinking the same thing Paul. 

Try out the BOSS hanger. It will help keep that holster pointed away from your leg. 

Any incident you can walk away from... Or in your case hobble away from :) is a good one. 

Heal up my friend. 

Paul,

I just learned of your incident and am glad that it was no worse than it was.

I know you have drawn a gun so many times that it is not even a conscious act.  We are accustomed to breaking that first shot off in a specified amount of time,

and our trigger finger sometimes does not accept that the other mechanics may be behind schedule. 

Get well soon!

Leo

19 hours ago, PaulW said:

I can really only blame myself, nothing else adds up.

I'd be willing to bet a considerable sum that the next time I draw on the clock,

it will be at least 1.25  seconds, or slower.   

No more speed draws for me - as a B, another .25 seconds/stage isn't that big a handicap.  

Speed is fine as long as your order of actions are correct. I trained hard that gun comes out and safety flipped off as I presented muzzle up and out towards target and then finger goes on trigger as your finalizing your first target sight picture.

Out off sequence is what will get you in trouble.

Paul,

Remember back in the day, when Matt Burkett wrote an article called "Wicked Fast" (in American Handgunner?) where you draw, shoot 2 rds on a target, reloaded, then fired 2 more shots on the same target?  The target was close, maybe 3 yards away, and you had to do everything perfect to make the time (2.50 seconds?).  That started a game we played, between stages, when there was a back-up on the next stage.  I recall dry-firing that drill at home with the timer set on par-time, you had to have a sub-1 sec draw & reload and fast splits to beat the time.  I already had the rhythm in my head of each shot, the reload, and how fast I needed to get back on the trigger to make the time.  If everything went right, I beat the time.  One match I botched the reload, but my trigger finger was aware of the correct cadence to make the 2.50 time.  The mag was in the gun, but I had not extended my arms when the shot went off.  The 9x25 blast got under the bill of my hat and blew it and my hearing protection off, along with my sunglasses.  I remember it clearly ... that was the last time I played that game.  

There were (thankfully) no animals or people hurt during this drill, but I did have to change my shorts before then next stage.  Lesson learned.

Leo

Hi Leo...long time. Hope all is well with you. I remember you letting me shoot your 9x25...all I can remember saying is "WOW".

Great example you wrote and thanks for sharing.  Some lessons are learned the hard way. Just thankful I will heal and be back out, others have not been so fortunate.

The guy most likely to chop his finger off on a table saw is the Master Woodworker, or a chainsaw wound by the Tree Surgeon.  It can happen to any of us...

I have seen the USPSA magazine with a pic of one of the top shooters in the nation with their finger in the trigger guard while moving.

Speedy recovery...