Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload quesiton

chenault

I'm new to open and my only pistol before this was a CZ so excuse my question if it's basic.  How much pressure should it take to load a full magazine.  I have MBX magazines (CK pistol) and it's taking enough pressure to reload them that I sometimes miss a reload because the mag slides back out.  The do seat and drop free, the last little bit just takes a fair amount of pressure. Do I need to tune them or are my dainty arms just not pushing hard enough?

Edited by chenault

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Down load 1 round

Load10 rounds for speed stages/ classifiers

This, except I always load a full mag for every stage. I like to keep everything the same from stage to stage. If your 170 holds 29 then load them up with 28 for the reload. I use 29 in the mag I start the stage with then all others on my belt will be one short of capacity. The only time that one extra round will matter is if you a running some type of mega 55+ round stage at a match. USPSA matches will cap at 32 rounds which would be a 170 (29) and a 140 (23).

Edited by Mikeski

Any mag I reload to is downloaded by one round. That one round makes all the difference in the world.

i also don’t download my mags way down for classifieds etc. I think it’s beneficial to keep mags close to the same weight for consistent reloads.

2 hours ago, Mikeski said:

This, except I always load a full mag for every stage. I like to keep everything the same from stage to stage. If your 170 holds 29 then load them up with 28 for the reload. I use 29 in the mag I start the stage with then all others on my belt will be one short of capacity. The only time that one extra round will matter is if you a running some type of mega 55+ round stage at a match. USPSA matches will cap at 32 rounds which would be a 170 (29) and a 140 (23).

34 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Any mag I reload to is downloaded by one round. That one round makes all the difference in the world.

i also don’t download my mags way down for classifieds etc. I think it’s beneficial to keep mags close to the same weight for consistent reloads.

I load down to 10 for classifiers because on the clock I'm faster with a mag loaded to ten then one loaded to 19/23

Gotta do what works for you!

Basically what everyone else has said. 

I always have a 170(29rd) and 2 140(24rd).

I load the 170 all the way, load both my 140s all the way, then I take out one round from one of the 140s. 

The one that is still full I use to top off when making ready which then puts it one down as well. 

Another tip for the OP, when you are doing your load and make ready routine, check every mag, every time to make sure they all seat easily. 

Also, I have been practicing reloads with an empty mag and got really fast, then my wife pointed out in a moment of genius that I load full magazines in matches why not practice with dummy rounds.  Almost feel like I'm back at square 1.  Great idea on her part though 

Big difference 

As far as I'm concerned, the maximum capacity of a mag is that which allows you to reload with a closed slide without having to slam the mag home.  For some of my mags that is rated capacity.  For many others it is one less.  For classifiers that require a mandatory mag change, I load 10 in a dry fire mag and load it first.  I don't mind dropping them in the dust.  Dropping an almost full mag leads to problems sometimes.

22 hours ago, Sarge said:

this

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, chenault said:

I'm new to open and my only pistol before this was a CZ so excuse my question if it's basic.  How much pressure should it take to load a full magazine.  I have MBX magazines (CK pistol) and it's taking enough pressure to reload them that I sometimes miss a reload because the mag slides back out.  The do seat and drop free, the last little bit just takes a fair amount of pressure. Do I need to tune them or are my dainty arms just not pushing hard enough?

The MBX mags have a very hard spring, when I first got them I loaded them tapping the bottom every few rounds until they were fully loaded, then left them loaded for a daor so then did it again several times over the course of a few days until the springs worked in.