Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swapping 9 Major Barrel/Comp to Different Gun?

JRM83

I have two CK arms guns, a Thunder Open in 9 major and a Hardcore IDPA (bushing gun).  Our local IDPA MD is allowing carry optics as a specialty division so I am putting an optic on the idpa gun for fun. I have been curious in the difference between how a slide mounted dot tracks in 9 major vs a frame mount. I pulled the barrel,  guide rod,  reverse plug,  and recoil spring from my open gun and dropped them into my IDPA gun.  Everything went together without issue and there is sufficient clearance on the comp.  

It seems like just dropping a barrel/comp  and recoil assembly into a different gun and running 9 major should be a bad idea,  but I can't think of a specific reason why.  Is there a specific reason this is dumb or other things I should check before trying it?  Thanks in advance! 

The parts will wear differently when attached to different parts . It might work but its not ideal. Also dont plan for your gun to function the same when yous swap parts back. Lockup wont be the same, which will most likely effect mechanical accuracy.

This isn't a 9 major specific issue (Although catastrophic issues will be most spectacular with 9 major) but rather the platform itself.