Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
RAP

RAP's Journey to Success

Keep training what you can. Hope you recover soon.

Thanks Brophy J. I appreciate the kind words. I miss shooting matches and having to drop out of the Illinois Sectional was a kick in the gut. It made me even more determined to recovery as quickly as possible.

Today I had Physical Therapy. My Therapist said I am ahead of my progression schedule the Doc had laid out for me. She said I'm an over achiever. I like exceeding goals and those words were especially sweet. I had 132 degrees range of motion in my injured leg. My non injured leg has 130 degrees. I am able to ride a stationary bike and I got on the elliptical for the first time since the injury. Both I could perform pain free. I am feeling very good about the progress I am making and I am looking forward to my Doctor tomorrow morning. I am not sure if I am ready to start doing movement drills yet. I will ask my Doctor what his thoughts are on this.  

Tonight I kept it simple and started with DOT drill. I ran this drill a couple times with a heavy focus on my grip. Next I went to my target array of 3 targets at 10 yards middle target is a zebra. I wanted to work on my draw, transitions, grip and reloads. I did this drill with hands at side. My draw speed stayed a consistent 1.1 - 1.2 range. My transitions were in the .35-.40 range. Pretty consistent from my last practice session. Tonight I added some SHO & WHO practice in the mix. I would start with freestyle and after my reload I would either go SHO or WHO. Wow, I really needed to practice this. I was finding my dot without problems. My trigger work sucked along with my weak hand grip. My practice session my reloads were horrible. I added Burkett drill tonight and this seemed to help. I need to continue this each session. Last practice session I struggled getting my weak hand back in proper position after getting the magazine inserted. Tonight I didn't have this problem. My weak hand grip was getting back in the proper position after the mag insertion. Next I went to my little stage that is similar to classifier 99-42. Being right handed I decided to start on the left side of the barrier to add a challenge of leaning around. Tonight was a good practice. I felt like things are starting to get back to normal. 

Today I saw my Orthopedic Surgeon. He was very happy with my progress. I am considered to have full range of motion and my PT will now focus on building strength back in my leg/knee. The bummer is Doc advised me not to shoot Area 4 Match. Area 4 puts me about 4 1/2 months after surgery. He said at 4 1/2 months my knee will not be strong enough to handle the uneven and less than solid terrain, starting and stopping, etc. So I guess I will need to withdraw. Doc said at 6 months from surgery is when I can start engaging in running, sprinting and more upper tier exercises. UGH 

Dry fire tonight started with DOT drill. I decided I will start every dry fire with this drill until I am comfortable with my performance. I need to live fire this drill my next trip to the range. I then went to the Burkett drill. I dropped my par time from 1.2 seconds to 1 second. It really challenged me. At 1.2 seconds I could get the magazine to the magwell easily. 1 second I was only 50%. I was amazed how much harder it was when I took 2 tenths of a second. 1 second is my time going forward for now. Next I went to my now stand by target array of 3 targets at 10 yards with the middle target a zebra.  Tonight stayed with the freestyle start reload and go to strong hand or weak hand. I would alternate between each hand. I averaged 1 second slower with strong hand and 2 seconds slow with my weak hand when compared to my freestyle time. Tonight I changed up things and practiced table starts unloaded and loaded. I also practiced table starts engaging targets from a seated position and doing a reload as well. Table starts is something I just haven't practiced much. But I will now. This is something I can do that doesn't hurt. 

Today was a live fire day. I went to the range to get some live fire practice in and help a couple very good friends practice for the up coming Illinois Sectional Match next Sunday. 

First we started with group shooting and chronograph our ammo. Then we ran bill drills working on our draw and grip. We then set up a couple stages. First stage purpose was to work on shooting through ports (entering and exiting as well), having to move back up range and shooting while moving. The second stage was set up with lateral movement (left to right), hard leans around corners, shooting as you enter and exiting position and transitions. Both stages were designed to with wall starts giving the opportunity for exploding out of a position at the start.

We first shot each stage a couple times to determine as average time and HF. We would than breakdown each stages elements, weather exploding into position at start, transitions, moving up range, etc. We also implemented targets with no shoots to add challenge and force you to "respect" the difficulty of the shot. As we broke each element down we would also practice them to perfect the techniques. For me I was limited on how much movement and how aggressively I would attempt to move. I am certainly getting better, but need to be carful. I lack a lot of strength and stability in my knee and at times was very obvious. But, that aside it felt really good to get out and practice; especially with very good friends. 

Dry fire tonight started with the usual dot drills at 5 yards. Did this for 6 times moved back to 7 yards for 6 runs. Worked on turn and draw. I am still struggling with this move. I am still nervous twisting around. However it is getting easier to do this. My average time for turn and draw has improved to 1.7-1.8 seconds. Next I worked on draw/transitions. I used my video glasses to see if I am starting to pull off the target after the 2nd trigger pull. I hav 2 targets at 10 yards placed 15 feet apart. I was able to do this drill in 1.8-1.9 seconds with a .35 transition target to target. Watching the video at times I could clearly see the gun moving before the 2nd shot. This made reevaluate and work on calling my shot then drive the gun to the 2nd target. I backed off speed and worked on technique; using my lower body to drive the gun after the trigger is pulled. I spent the majority of the practice session on this drill and it was a big help. I am going to use the video glasses my next practice session as well. They really helped me out a lot to identify an area I have been struggling with.  

Dry fire tonight started with the usual dot drills at 5 yards. Did this for 6 times moved back to 7 yards for 6 runs. Next I worked on 90 degree transitions. I focused on using my lower body and I had some real problems at the start. But after a half a dozen tries I started to loosen up and felt better about doing this drill. Next I put 2 targets at 7 yards placed 12 feet apart. I wanted to work on head shots/transitions. I really pushed myself to not only push my draw speed but to drive the gun target to target. I finished up the night with Burkett drill. I set the par time at 1 second. Tonight I felt like I had a break through. I was consistently at or beating the 1 second par time getting the magazine to the mag well. My next session I do this drill I am dropping the par time to .90 seconds. I need to get out and live fire practice. I am hoping to have some time this weekend.