Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Assymmetrical grips?

xdr

I was able to pick up a used set of the thin metal grips for my SP01 and am starting to think i need either more grip tape on the right side or to put the stock rubber grip back on the right side only. The gun seems to slide around a bit in my hand with just the thin grips and my accuracy is just not good as it is with my P07 or bone stock P01. The reason i went to the thin grips was i can reach the mag release and slide release better. 

Does an assymmetrical grip setup seem practical or should i just work on my grip more?

Thanks!

I've done some experimentation with an assymetric grip when I shot HK P30, as it is very easy to do on that gun with its replaceable side grip panels. I couldn't prove any practical benefit of that arrangement.

vz grips.

everyone i know who has run asymmetric grip set up was trying to compensate for or fix something that in my opinion could have been overcome with more practice.

that said, you should still find grips that fit your gun, hand size and desired grippy level.

you say the gun slips in your hand. grip it more firmly with both hands. get grips that don't rely on skateboard tape.

you also say you switched to the thin grips to reach controls better. are you "just shooting" or are you trying to make GM? in either case you're probably going to come to the realization that for your hand size you will need to break your grip a little to reach the controls. again, with practice this can be done very quickly and securely.

you just need to mentally accept this and work on your end for a bit once you have some different grips.

Thanks...I appreciate all of the input. I know my grip is probably lacking for sure so will spend time on that first. 

Am I trying to make GM? I just want to be in the hunt, competition-wise. I have the bug to try USPSA and so brought the SP01 strictly for competing in that. We have a great local club with 2 matches/month plus some other local fun matches. 

z

I use a lok palm swell grip (same profile has stock rubber grip) on the right and a DAA thick aluminum on the left that's covered in silicon carbide. 

The Lok grip just feels comfortable in my hand and it has a bit of a ledge on the top so I put my thumb there when doing weak hand shooting. 

The left I've changed around as I've changed my grip. As you experiment with what grip works for you (in terms of hand placement and where you put pressure on the gun), you might want to change grips around to make it feel more comfortable and repeatable. 

I have larger hands that fit a tanfoglio large frame better but since we cant really get those in CA, I've messed around a ton with grips to get something I prefer on my CZ.

In the end, it's all preference. Just make sure your gun makes weight and fits the box. 

(Thinking about it more, don't symmetrical grips seem counter intuitive? It would make sense if we held a gun in between hands as if they were mirror images of each other. But we dont. One hand is on top of the other, one slightly in front, and the grip panels on either side are contacting completely different areas of the hand.)

Edited by Fantom919

9 hours ago, Fantom919 said:

Thinking about it more, don't symmetrical grips seem counter intuitive? It would make sense if we held a gun in between hands as if they were mirror images of each other. But we dont. One hand is on top of the other, one slightly in front, and the grip panels on either side are contacting completely different areas of the hand.)

Yeah, ive pondered this as well. I probably just over thinking this grip thing and making things worse.

Is the mag release button reversible?

I am assuming you're right handed/strong handed.

I moved my MRB on my Beretta 92 to the right side.  Instead of having to flip my grip on the gun to reach the MRB with my right thumb, now I just hit  the reversed MRB with my right middle finger.  

The slide lock or slide release I always hit with my left thumb

On 10/23/2017 at 6:37 AM, rowdyb said:

everyone i know who has run asymmetric grip set up was trying to compensate for or fix something that in my opinion could have been overcome with more practice.

Same. Every problem that I've seen people try to fix with mixed grips was quickly fixed by gripping the gun harder. 

On 24/10/2017 at 5:22 PM, Sliv2 said:

Same. Every problem that I've seen people try to fix with mixed grips was quickly fixed by gripping the gun harder. 

Then I guess JJ should train harder.. ? He recently posted a picture on instagram of his Production division stock2 with a palmswell grip on the left side and a flat one on the right side. Personally i also use a slightly thicker grip on the left side on my cz shadow. With my handsize and my grip I get noticeable more traction with my weak hand on the gun than with a thin grip on both sides.  Why I dont have a thick grip on the right side also is a different story...

I run assymetric grips on my vp9. I like the large on the right to fill my strong hand and the medium (slightly flatter)  on the weak side to give a flat spot to plant my support hand.  I ran a similar setup on my CZ with the factory rubber and VZ grips for the same reason. 

Most of the time I shoot a 2011 that just fits my hands perfectly so there is no need to mess around with them.  

I tried out assymetrical grips with LOK palmswell strong hand side, flatter VZ grip weakhand side.  Seemed like it would have been nice for bullseye shooting but for our quick shooting sport i find symetrical grips index in a more intuitive way. 

ericg

On 10/27/2017 at 2:27 PM, Ludde said:

Then I guess JJ should train harder.. ? He recently posted a picture on instagram of his Production division stock2 with a palmswell grip on the left side and a flat one on the right side. Personally i also use a slightly thicker grip on the left side on my cz shadow. With my handsize and my grip I get noticeable more traction with my weak hand on the gun than with a thin grip on both sides.  Why I dont have a thick grip on the right side also is a different story...

I've noticed this as well. I can't seem to find anything to grab onto with my support hand. A bigger grip on that side helped me hook up. 

After playing around with a few different grips (including asymmetrical combinations), I settled on Lok Palmswells with the mag cut out.