Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 vs. 929

Mcfoto

I'd get another 929.  I think a lot of us are already shooting .358 sized lead but with cheap 9mm brass.

Yes I have to sort it but I get 55%-65% Blazer, FC and WIN headstamps from range brass.  The rest goes for my wife's Shadow 9mm loads and I get to intercept Sumbro/Maxtech garbage brass.  The WIN needs to be loaded separate, 1/8" extra turn on the seating die.  A mix of the 3 is snug on the DAA moonclips, too snug for the BMT but the TK loader works great.  A bit slower but I load them while watching TV.

For the 627 Starline SC is where it's at and I'm still waiting for my order to arrive (2 months).  My wife wanted to be able to use her 686 that wasn't getting out of the safe.  Starline seems makes brass whenever they get enough to justify a run (I assume).

I'd get another 929.  I think a lot of us are already shooting .358 sized lead but with cheap 9mm brass.

Yes I have to sort it but I get 55%-65% Blazer, FC and WIN headstamps from range brass.  The rest goes for my wife's Shadow 9mm loads and I get to intercept Sumbro/Maxtech garbage brass.  The WIN needs to be loaded separate, 1/8" extra turn on the seating die.  A mix of the 3 is snug on the DAA moonclips, too snug for the BMT but the TK loader works great.  A bit slower but I load them while watching TV.

For the 627 Starline SC is where it's at and I'm still waiting for my order to arrive (2 months).  My wife wanted to be able to use her 686 that wasn't getting out of the safe.  Starline seems makes brass whenever they get enough to justify a run (I assume).

Are you waiting for 38 special or short colt (or something else)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Colt. The only savings grace is I bought it at 15% off on a Canada Day sale.

I was afraid you were going to say that. I’m starting to but stuff (just got a new DAA holster - with an N frame insert and a 1911 insert that I’ll use for steel challenge this weekend) but don’t have the revolver yet. I haven’t totally committed to 627 over 929 yet, but am wondering if I should order brass just because now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just letting anyone following this thread that I bought a 627 last weekend. For me the deciding factor was that I'm already pretty dialed in on .38 special loading and to my hands, the 627 felt better than the 929. To be honest, also to my eyes a 5 inch 627 was a more handsome gun than the 929. I know, to most of you guys that isn't a factor but it matters to me.

Probably going to eventually go short colt. Since you get all your brass back, going to order new anyway. But first I have to figure out the whole moon clip loading thing (and buy tools etc.) Another instant gratification justification: While waiting for the bits to come on the big brown truck, I was still able to go to the range the day after purchase and start breaking her in. ?

Get the BMT mooner, demooner. To me it is the easiest, best tool out there. I'm running Hearthco moonclips for Starline brass and Starline Short Colt. This combination has worked fine right out of the gate, and for years since. I have 2 627s, one iron sight and one scoped.

I use Starline for about everything and have found the the grooves in all the .38 cal. cases are the same.  So same moonclips work for Short Colt, Long Colt, Special, and Magnum Starline brass. Very convenient, as you can shoot all of those in the same gun with the same moonclips.

Edited by Toolguy

I promote to Captain in December and got the go ahead from my household financier to get a promotion/Christmas gun and have settled on the 627 as well. I haven't shot USPSA in a while due to time constraints and the fact I've shot High Power all year. I like the fact that it will run anything from 38SC to 357. I like the flexibility that gives and moonclips allow faster reloads and I can remove 357s, slip a few 38s in, shoot a grouse and put the 357s back in quickly and without fumbling around. Not what many on this forum would be using this gun for but I would also like to compete with it as well as use it in the woods. 

1 hour ago, Anschutz said:

I promote to Captain in December and got the go ahead from my household financier to get a promotion/Christmas gun and have settled on the 627 as well. I haven't shot USPSA in a while due to time constraints and the fact I've shot High Power all year. I like the fact that it will run anything from 38SC to 357. I like the flexibility that gives and moonclips allow faster reloads and I can remove 357s, slip a few 38s in, shoot a grouse and put the 357s back in quickly and without fumbling around. Not what many on this forum would be using this gun for but I would also like to compete with it as well as use it in the woods. 

Congrats on your promotion and thank you for your service. Yes, part of appeal of the 627 was I wouldn’t *have* to use moon clips. In my case, if I was just having a relaxed day at the range or testing loads, etc. I could just slip in a couple rounds and go. ?‍♂️??‍♀️?

On 10/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, Toolguy said:

Get the BMT mooner, demooner. To me it is the easiest, best tool out there. I'm running Hearthco moonclips for Starline brass and Starline Short Colt. This combination has worked fine right out of the gate, and for years since. I have 2 627s, one iron sight and one scoped.

The BMT for SC/rimmed brass is tits. Almost makes me want to shoot SC just so I can load moons easier.