Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cmore accuracy issues; any tips?

jtrump

So new 6moa CMore on my STI .38super comp.

Previously had a delta point pro/cheely mount.   Same ammo, 115PD's, 9.5g HS6 @ 1.235oal

My smith mounted it,  I took it out today put a target at 25 yards got it to where I thought I had it close to sighted in.    Nothing is loose on the optic/mount etc.

I'm getting about a 2-3" spread at 25 yards with the dot turned down pretty small shooting at a white pasty off of a bag.  It won't even shot a group, its like one bullet is just about perfect, they one higher left, one higher right,  or higher left, and higher higher left.

I'm clueless at this point......

Just now, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Make sure all the screws are tight and none are touching the slide. Thanks, Eric

Hey Eric,  I assume your referring to the screws that mount from the top down and into the mount.  I've checked every screw they are all solid and tight, everything seems tight, module is tight and plenty of room between those screws and the slide.

1 minute ago, HI5-O said:

Make sure your lock screws for the elevation and windage adjustment screws are snug.

Everything is Tighter than Dick's hat band Barry, checked and double checked. :(

If you're referring to the RTS2, there's a set screw on the back of the sight that says "lock" which needs to be loosened for sight adjustments and then tightened before shooting it, otherwise the elevation and drift screws will loosen up with the firing.  Maybe you're not tightening this enough or it's backing out after tightening?

40308d.1.jpg

25 minutes ago, racer-x said:

What mount and optic (slide ride or RTS2) are you using?

Are you using a thumb rest? 

Can you post some pics of your setup?

Standard mount that comes with the STI DVI OPEN,  Slideride not rts2,   Yes I have a go gun thumb rest on there.

Just now, jkrispies said:

LOL.  We all typed the same thing at the same time...

Yea Im using the slide ride, I have the set screw and other screw for left/right pretty snug,  I think any more snug would be overkill.

No cracks in the scope mount? One of my scope mounts had a crack and the gun wouldn't group well.

I would start all over, take everything off, inspect for cracks in the scope mount, cracking in the scope body, debris under the mounting surface (especially where the Cmore mates with the mount) and reinstall with thread locking compound (red for mount to frame and blue for scope to mount). The bottom of the Cmore is sometimes not flat, can sand it against a flat surface.

12 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

No cracks in the scope mount? One of my scope mounts had a crack and the gun wouldn't group well.

I would start all over, take everything off, inspect for cracks in the scope mount, cracking in the scope body, debris under the mounting surface (especially where the Cmore mates with the mount) and reinstall with thread locking compound (red for mount to frame and blue for scope to mount). The bottom of the Cmore is sometimes not flat, can sand it against a flat surface.

Just took it down and checked every mm of the optic/ and mount itself,  No cracks or anything that dosen't look right.   The mount with the red loctite on it I don't feel like torching to take it off, it's on there solid and I looked it over well before it went on.    This is so frustrating,  I gave up the DP pro for some more glass, now I shoot 3" non groups at 25 yards..  sigh

Hello: When adjusting the C-More I always make sure that there is tension on the elevation screw either pushing up or down. So back the screw off and then reset to your adjustment. I usually do a half turn then back to the adjustment. If you have no tension the adjustment can float even with the locking screw locked in place. Some C-Mores I adjust it in an up position and others on the down. You will have to see what works for you. Windage is the same, take the slack out. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

55 minutes ago, racer-x said:

If you don't have 3 short screws dedicated to holding only the optic mount to the gun, your accuracy is very likely to suffer like mine did. Super tight and it didn't matter.

Hey Racer-X,   I mounted this just like it was mounted on my old cheely mount/DP pro,   according to you the way I have mine mounted is not correct.

I've got short screw first hold, 3 long screws and short screw in back,  meaning only the very front and back screws are shorties, the rest are long.   Also my *thumb rest [generic]* is mounted farther to the rear, the front short screw is visible and the back short screw is covered.

12 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: When adjusting the C-More I always make sure that there is tension on the elevation screw either pushing up or down. So back the screw off and then reset to your adjustment. I usually do a half turn then back to the adjustment. If you have no tension the adjustment can float even with the locking screw locked in place. Some C-Mores I adjust it in an up position and others on the down. You will have to see what works for you. Windage is the same, take the slack out. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I don't quite understand what you mean by tension on the elevation screw,  your talking like while turning it, your putting some pressure either  down or up, on the actual elevation adjustment?

Hello: Yes, the adjustment screw puts tension on the plastic so there is no looseness. Unlock the locking screw and turn the adjustment screw one way and then the other. There will be some slack in the adjustment. Take the slack out by either adjusting it up or down putting tension on the plastic. Make sense? Thanks, Eric

20 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Hey Racer-X,   I mounted this just like it was mounted on my old cheely mount/DP pro,   according to you the way I have mine mounted is not correct.

I've got short screw first hold, 3 long screws and short screw in back,  meaning only the very front and back screws are shorties, the rest are long.   Also my *thumb rest [generic]* is mounted farther to the rear, the front short screw is visible and the back short screw is covered.

This isn't my gun, but this is the way mine is mounted now. I moved my rest to the back position as well - much better control over gun.

How to mount B.jpg