Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 USPSA Nationals

JakeMartens

Thank you.  Based on what i am reading, it seems like it would be too late for me to do anything as far as registration Monday night, that is if i can make it there from the airport by sunset... I'll definitely try, but if the place is closed - i'll just get my ass up early  on Tuesday and be there for the 7:30 am shooter's brief and registration. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The range opens at 12:00 on Friday 

It will be open everyday from then on

Registration for Optics opens at the same time, and then again at 6:30am Saturday morning, and will be available till 12:45 for the PM squads.

On Monday the 22nd registration opens for the Factory Gun Match and then on the 23rd  at 6:30am for those that cannot make it and will be available till 12:45 for the PM squads.

Then samething for Limited, 25th at Noon and then 6:30am Friday, till 12:45 for PM squads.

The range will be open everyday from the 19th at noon till the  end of the last match.

Please remember that the folks at registration will be leaving on the 22nd and 25th at 5:30pm to go to the awards ceremonies.

The stages that are not being shot in match 1 are on the ground already.

The only thing will be the stages that change over for match 2 and 3 that will be done after last shots fired, but the range is open the next morning at 6:30.

walking stages is covered on two important pages 20&22

Updated match book with start position and procedures was released earlier today and emailed to all competitors for Optics with important links to the equipment survey and waivers that need to be completed before arriving.

https://uspsa.org/matchbooks/Optics/#page=1

Is there going to be a gunsmith on site?

During final function test and zero verification last night, the front sight on my primary Single Stack gun broke. I don't want to go to Nationals with only my backup gun.

I'm going to try to get a replacement from Dawson overnight (to arrive Friday) but not entirely sure that will happen and/or that I'll be able to get it fit to my pistol before I leave.

Are sights and gunsmith fitting available at the range on Sunday or Monday?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Edited by N3WWN

On 10/17/2018 at 7:43 PM, JakeMartens said:

Updated match book with start position and procedures was released earlier today and emailed to all competitors for Optics with important links to the equipment survey and waivers that need to be completed before arriving

Jake, is the same expected for the Factory gun? Thanks

9 hours ago, nasty618 said:

Jake, is the same expected for the Factory gun? Thanks

On 10/18/2018 at 5:49 AM, N3WWN said:

Is there going to be a gunsmith on site?

During final function test and zero verification last night, the front sight on my primary Single Stack gun broke. I don't want to go to Nationals with only my backup gun.

I'm going to try to get a replacement from Dawson overnight (to arrive Friday) but not entirely sure that will happen and/or that I'll be able to get it fit to my pistol before I leave.

Are sights and gunsmith fitting available at the range on Sunday or Monday?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There is not a gunsmith at the range, at least not one that is set up to provide services 

Yes, each matchbook will get updated, however the stages that stay the same will have the same information 

My opinion of the match, it was quite easy, I think the hardest shot of the optics and factory match was the 20 yard swinger in area 3 during the factory match. I don't think there was a shot that I believed I couldn't make if I did my part.

Things I would've liked to see changed, a few of the classifiers turning into more fun short courses like stage 12 or like the classifier on stage 20. I also would've like to see the preferred Frostproof pattern of back and forth instead of going through each area in a circle. And make it harder. :devil:

Edited by PPGMD

Well if we're making a list of things we'd like changed..... hahaha.

Today was my 7th day. It very much feels like the movie Groundhog Day but set as doing a nice local match, day after day after day. For 9 days in a row. In central Florida.

Well, I shot all 9 days and I would do it again. I really hope USPSA and Jake do a similar format for next year. This match was a fantastic undertaking from a MD's perspective with so many moving parts that really did come together quite well. Every schedule ran on time and the RO's were almost all universally friendly, despite being left in the Florida sun for 9 straight days. Maybe next year USPSA will increase the match fee to offer the RO's more incentive or a nice package to give a bit more back to this ultra-dedicated group in our sport.

As a shooter, I felt all the "repeat" stages other than the classifiers were completely new stages each time. The minor modifications of the large field courses were very, very well done to ensure stage plans couldn't be repeated for each division. I particularly enjoyed the shoot house changes each day. The stages really did play well to the divisions. I enjoyed the "new classifier" stages as they broke up the field courses. I probably would have been happier with short courses and less mandatory reloads. Actually, I think everyone would have been happier with less weak hand shooting and fewer reloads. 

The awards banquets were very nice as well. The food was good and myself and many other folks enjoyed the fact that not only did the venue go out of their way to support USPSA, the whole of Polk county seemed to love the fact that "the shooters" were back. 

There were a couple things I would change.  Stage 8 of optics nationals was an abomination. I heard how that stage was initially designed and how it was implemented. The tight targets on either side of the walls were just downright dangerous for no goddamn reason. Oh well, 1 bad stage out of 64 is still a very good event. Obviously nobody enjoys shooting directly into the rising sun, especially on a strong/weak hand classifier. I suppose everyone got at least some in the eye although I think folks would appreciate it if the berms were higher or there were trees to block some of that bright Florida sun. 

Overall, this really was a once in a lifetime type event that I hope happens again every year. :cheers:

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Well, I shot all 9 days and I would do it again. I really hope USPSA and Jake do a similar format for next year. This match was a fantastic undertaking from a MD's perspective with so many moving parts that really did come together quite well. Every schedule ran on time and the RO's were almost all universally friendly, despite being left in the Florida sun for 9 straight days. Maybe next year USPSA will increase the match fee to offer the RO's more incentive or a nice package to give a bit more back to this ultra-dedicated group in our sport.

As a shooter, I felt all the "repeat" stages other than the classifiers were completely new stages each time. The minor modifications of the large field courses were very, very well done to ensure stage plans couldn't be repeated for each division. I particularly enjoyed the shoot house changes each day. The stages really did play well to the divisions. I enjoyed the "new classifier" stages as they broke up the field courses. I probably would have been happier with short courses and less mandatory reloads. Actually, I think everyone would have been happier with less weak hand shooting and fewer reloads. 

The awards banquets were very nice as well. The food was good and myself and many other folks enjoyed the fact that not only did the venue go out of their way to support USPSA, the whole of Polk county seemed to love the fact that "the shooters" were back. 

There were a couple things I would change.  Stage 8 of optics nationals was an abomination. I heard how that stage was initially designed and how it was implemented. The tight targets on either side of the walls were just downright dangerous for no goddamn reason. Oh well, 1 bad stage out of 64 is still a very good event. Obviously nobody enjoys shooting directly into the rising sun, especially on a strong/weak hand classifier. I suppose everyone got at least some in the eye although I think folks would appreciate it if the berms were higher or there were trees to block some of that bright Florida sun. 

Overall, this really was a once in a lifetime type event that I hope happens again every year. :cheers:

Stage 8 was not shot in the other 2 matches, it was not set up right, it slowed the match way down being doubled with the other stage as well.

I spent a lot of time in Florida earlier this year mapping everything out, Shannon Smith is the real hero for taking what was on paper and making it happen with the

stage change overs and the planned stages that were only shot in Match 2.

The plan was a shooting match, nothing crazy, no silly props or circus acts, or kick in ass memory stages, I may have mentioned that somewhere

2019 Dates and divisions are already set, no we are not doing a back to back to back 9 Days in 2019.

We are doing a HICAP Nationals and a LOCAP Nationals

Sept 22-28 in Utah

22nd-24th

Open/PCC 

26th-28th

CO/Limited

November 3-9 in Frostproof

3-5th

Production/L10

7-9th

Single Stack/Revolver

These will be 3 day formats 

6 stops per day, 20-21 stages

caped at 432 competitors for each match

this  format will allow for an additional 432 slots for a total of 1728 slots 

there will be a break day between the matches that will allow for change over

Registration won't be open for awhile...

We will do something different in 2020..

I wonder how many participants truly realize the amount of work that goes into putting on even small events... but events of this caliber require a huge effort and super focused coordination. I thanked every RO at the each stage and sent an email to Jake saying thank you... should have stopped by and said thanks to Shannon Smith and his team and all the untold heroes of this event - the people that made things happen on the ground... 

This was truly a great event from my perspective - while I am not new to national level competition scene in other sports, this was my first major USPSA match. In my mind, the most telling point was how smooth things went on each stage and overall, considering the size of the event and number and levels of participants. Like a well oiled machine! Plus I marked my first anniversary of shooting USPSA with my first (and hopefuly not last) Nationals!  So i had an awesome time and am already looking forward to the next year.

So if the goal was to attract new shooters to the sport while making it interesting and challenging for the top dogs... 100% agree - mission accomplished! 

Setting up matches on the local level can be enough of a headache. I can not imagine the amount of work that went into this scale of an event. Thank you to everyone who was involved! I shot like dog s#!t but still managed to enjoy myself quite a bit. It seems there are some people that are not fans of universal, I’m not one of them. I’ve enjoyed every match I’ve been able to shoot down there- and I’ve yet to come away thinking it was easy. I only wish I lived a little closer so I could shoot there more regularly. Can’t wait for next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro