Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good rifle

jarozzy

Im going to be getting a precision rifle soon, and i am wanting some suggestions on a good rifle.  I do not have a huge budget, but i can go higher if needed, it will just take me longer to save the money.  right now i am looking at the Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor.  What would you all recommend for a rifle in following price ranges?  under $1000, $1001-$2000, and under $2500.  These price ranges are for the rifle only as i already have a Leupold scope lined up.

HCR is really the one I would choose in all three categories. It typically performs well and is fairly reliable.

Next step up in my opinion would be a Desert Tech or a custom build. I really don’t see anything in between that warrants more than $1K.

Some of the RPR’s have done well...but many of them have had problems. Enough so that I would not risk buying one.

2 hours ago, dddoo7 said:

HCR is really the one I would choose in all three categories. It typically performs well and is fairly reliable.

Next step up in my opinion would be a Desert Tech or a custom build. I really don’t see anything in between that warrants more than $1K.

Some of the RPR’s have done well...but many of them have had problems. Enough so that I would not risk buying one.

Could you translate HCR?  I’m similar to the OP but more inclined to build my own. I looked at Desert Tech as their design really intrigues me but I’m looking at .223 and looks like the smallest case they go (in a bolt) is .308 family.  

Could you translate HCR?  I’m similar to the OP but more inclined to build my own. I looked at Desert Tech as their design really intrigues me but I’m looking at .223 and looks like the smallest case they go (in a bolt) is .308 family.  

Howa Chassis Rifle.

Desert Tech will do .223 with a conversion from short action Customs I think it is.

Sub $1k the bergara offers a lot.  I've only shot a few rounds from one and played with it for a short time but seemed nice enough.  Also look at tikka.

Sub  2k I'd go with an RPR.  At 1200 you can get a barrel from Patriot valley, LRI, or various other smiths and have a great shooting rifle for $1800.  Dowside is that you're stuck with that set up.  If you want a another chassis Or go traditional stock you can't. 

Or you could buy a tikka and go with a new barrel and chassis/stock upgrade, trigger and still be under $2k and get what you want.   PVA does a barrel nut system for 500.  

Then you're really looking at 2500+ for a custom with your builder of choice.  Lots if great smuths out there.   But for 2500 you could do a stiller for 1025, barrel 300-360, trigger 110-200, chassis 600ish, then smithing fees for 300-400.  That gets you right around 2500. Of course if you change options you can add to the price.

If you're thinking about competing I'd skip the desert tech.  

Edited by Tacticalpanda

On 10/18/2017 at 1:52 PM, dapribek said:

I highly recommend the Ruger Precision Rifle. I have one in .223 that is more accurate than my benchrest rifle. It should be around $1300. 

Better yet, find a used RPR and replace the factory barrel with a Proof carbon fiber barrel.  I replaced my barrel and trigger (with a Timney RPR trigger) and feel like I ended up with a near custom rifle on a budget.  The Proof barrel shoots lights out with PRIME factory ammo.  

On 10/21/2017 at 9:57 AM, powercatmd said:

Better yet, find a used RPR and replace the factory barrel with a Proof carbon fiber barrel.  I replaced my barrel and trigger (with a Timney RPR trigger) and feel like I ended up with a near custom rifle on a budget.  The Proof barrel shoots lights out with PRIME factory ammo.  

I've achieved sub-half-moa groups on the factory barrel with PRIME; not everyday, but every now and again. I've found stuff that shoots more consistently according to the chrono though.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:23 PM, jarozzy said:

Im going to be getting a precision rifle soon, and i am wanting some suggestions on a good rifle.  I do not have a huge budget, but i can go higher if needed, it will just take me longer to save the money.  right now i am looking at the Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor.  What would you all recommend for a rifle in following price ranges?  under $1000, $1001-$2000, and under $2500.  These price ranges are for the rifle only as i already have a Leupold scope lined up.

So I'll start by saying I'm very partial to Tikka.

Sub 1k - Tikka CTR in .260 or 6.5 CM

This is a sub MOA rifle out of the box and offers most of the niceties of a custom action (Side bolt release, 70 degree throw, super smooth etc.). Comes with a DBM as well.  And you can always upgrade later.

1k-2k - Tikka Tac A-1

This rifle comes ready to shoot from the factory with a nice chassis, adjustable stock, 20 MOA rail I believe, just need to add a bipod and your ready to rock.  Same benifits in the action as the CTR.  Check this one out.

2k+ - Custom Build Rifle.  Short Action Customs, GAP, the choices are endless.

Custom rifles are pricey, but they are worth the money.  They offer much more in reliability and accuracy than a factory rifle does.  Custom actions are also worth the money as they are much nicer than a trued factory action.  

As far as smiths go, TS Customs does all of my smith work for precision rifles.  He has good turn around and the rifles I have from him shoot in the teens.

On 10/30/2017 at 1:54 PM, Wahoo72 said:

So I'll start by saying I'm very partial to Tikka.

Sub 1k - Tikka CTR in .260 or 6.5 CM

1k-2k - Tikka Tac A-1

They come with an accuracy guarantee, so you never get a lemon in the accuracy department.

Honestly, I would just get the Bergara. There is no point in spending more $$$ on a set up to start IMO. If you really get into precision you will end up with a custom build eventually. I started with a savage BA10 stealth in 6.5 creedmoor that I picked up for $825 new over last winter. I ended up with a really accurate rifle. I found out I don't really like precision that much and only lost $50 when I sold the rifle locally.

I would get the Bergara and get your feet wet. Especially if you are going to start reloading 6.5 creedmoor. That's another very involved and costly process. When you feel the rifle is holding you back, then get a custom build.

***On a side note, the only issues I see with going with the Tikka CTR is that the you are most likely going to be replacing the stock. The actions are fantastic though.***

Edited by MHitchcock

1 hour ago, MHitchcock said:

***On a side note, the only issues I see with going with the Tikka CTR is that the you are most likely going to be replacing the stock. The actions are fantastic though.***

+1

I have a Tikka CTR in .260 that I put a McMillian stock on it and it shoots amazingly.  Accuracy is superb so even though I have the itch to put a custom barrel on it there really is no need until it is shot out.  But when I do I'll have a semi custom rifle with no need at all to chafe the action. 

Im actually planning on picking up a few more Tikka actions to do the same, one to rebarrel in 6x47 Lapua, and 1 in 300 WM.  

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bergara or rpr under a grand.
Moving up I’d look into Tikka with a custom stock on it or Remington 700 with a new stock trigger.
Around 2500 you can get into a really nice rifle mpa a couple custom builds around that price with a 700 donor action. Check out snipers hide. As there for sale section can be a great one to get into a nice used custom rifle for a big discount. Good luck in your search. Dta is going to be a high dollar gun they are very nice but have their limits. Also for the money you can get into a switch barrel bolt gun also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk