Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CORE vs pro 5"

Djp55

I shoot a 5" pro as my competition gun for production USPSA. I'm looking for a backup production gun, but also interested in carry optics setup to try to help speed up my irons shooting.  Was considering getting a core to use for both purposes, slap a dot on it unless something goes sideways with my primary, then can rip off the dot and run it in production. 

Question is: how different are there sights? I know I'd need to flip out the sights to get black rear/fiber front, but is the height difference dramatic? Any other differences I may be overlooking? Is it a dumb idea?

I don’t think that that’s a bad idea, especially if you’re considering CO at some point.  As for the height difference, it’s negligable between the CORE and Pro, in terms of any difference it’ll make in your shooting.  If you’re concerned about it tho, since you’re planning to replace the CORE sights with black/FO, you could get a set that are standard (Pro) height instead.  You’d lose he co-witness, but that’s your choice.  

I also shoot a 5" Pro, and last year, thought the same thing.

I picked up a C.O.R.E., got classified, but, hated that the dot would jump out of the lens at every shot. Having 2 open guns, that the dot stays in the lens, is what made it frustrating, to me.

A friend of mine, just picked up a new, 5", 2.0.

I took it to the range, and ran a variety of loads through it, then, shot some of the same loads, side by side, with my Pro.

S&Ws claims that the 2.0 has less felt recoil, and muzzle flip is NOT b.s. My pro felt like I was shooting major loads, when compared to the 2.0.

Crap, now, I seem to think I need one, maybe I'll also get an adapter, and throw a dot on it, to see how it behaves.:P

The experienced CO  crowd says you don’t want sights anyway so a red dot with the low sights would be just fine.  I am planning to shoot my core for the first time in CO this weekend.   I have tweaked it with springs etc. and don’t find the recoil very much.  Being a light pistol I think it requires a very firm grip though.  Between the rebate and the sales the M&P is very affordable these days.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wesson-m-p9-9mm-pro-series-core-threaded.html#.Wetob-RMGEd

I bought this, sold the threaded barrel on  ebay for $150, and am waiting on the $75 rebate.  So in for $375.  Pretty reasonable.

Edited by dogtired

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, Djp55 said:

I shoot a 5" pro as my competition gun for production USPSA. I'm looking for a backup production gun, but also interested in carry optics setup to try to help speed up my irons shooting.  Was considering getting a core to use for both purposes, slap a dot on it unless something goes sideways with my primary, then can rip off the dot and run it in production. 

Question is: how different are there sights? I know I'd need to flip out the sights to get black rear/fiber front, but is the height difference dramatic? Any other differences I may be overlooking? Is it a dumb idea?

The only real difference that I know of is that the pro core sights sit very high so that you can use them with the red dot as back up, other wise same 

• 2 years later...