Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
obsessiveshooter

Tristar p-120 (cz sp01 clone) review

You would need to get the firing pin turned down in a lathe to fit.

I was able to get a CGW Type 3 disco to fit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tonight I decided to make the P120 safety more like the CZ Custom extended safety I have on my Tactical Sport. The P120 may become my wife's pistol for Limited minor and as such, I want the safety to be easy to flick on and off.

I started with 3/16 steel bar stock and cut a chunk to the width I wanted the safety to stick out. I used a carpentry tool to copy the CZC safety angle, and bent the bar stock strip to match that angle. Then I trimmed it with a grinder to match the length, shape and bevels of the CZC part.

Next, I removed the P120 safety and put it in the vise. The idea was to grind it down to the flat plate. A little bit of grinding revealed a reminder that the safety's spring for the ball bearing detent come through that plate. I measured the depth of the hole, the proceeded to grind it flat. I'll drill the hole to it's old depth once the new paddle is on.

Next step: either silver solder the paddle on, or get a buddy to tig weld it. I have a mig welder that I'm not very experienced with, and my concern is burning through the plate on the safety. Once attached, I'll polish it up to an attractive shape. e04216ade857b4d8832d182834280d7b.jpg1acfe856604103a07ce3752e1153cad4.jpg14c764feb6b7fcf98c73cf1698324c71.jpg51e89a6a2fb63ad32b9e8c19f9bbd163.jpg5435e8a4b459df7dd9f114b45a0f2b48.jpgc831fb80a19828602f5882901f39d6c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had a buddy TIG weld it. The factory safety plate is really thin and was melting off. It was tough to salvage, but It works. I do wish it had been possible to get the safety in the same spot in relation to my hand as on my Tac Sport. On the P120 it feels more like in between my lower TS thumb safety and a higher 1911 thumb safety.

Now ain't that pretty! I have committed the p120 to be my wife's Limited minor pistol. I put in a CZUB SA trigger, all I had to do was drill the trigger pin out from 2mm to 2.5mm. And I fitted a CZ75 magwell. The p120 frame is .02" ish wider than a CZ75 frame, so I hit the frame with a file where the magwell slips over it. The Grips are LOK thin short grips, they required filing the bottoms at the back strap side about 1/16" so that the screw holes lined up & so they weren't hitting the magwell.

My CZC 140mm base pads work fine with the magwell. My Springer +0 pads hit the magwell in the front.

The trigger is very light and nice after putting the factory mainspring back in. I really look forward to shooting it in this configuration. 22faed9fb457f324fc18ea35e71be32f.jpg