Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tristar p-120 (cz sp01 clone) review

obsessiveshooter

• 2 months later...

Tonight I decided to make the P120 safety more like the CZ Custom extended safety I have on my Tactical Sport. The P120 may become my wife's pistol for Limited minor and as such, I want the safety to be easy to flick on and off.

I started with 3/16 steel bar stock and cut a chunk to the width I wanted the safety to stick out. I used a carpentry tool to copy the CZC safety angle, and bent the bar stock strip to match that angle. Then I trimmed it with a grinder to match the length, shape and bevels of the CZC part.

Next, I removed the P120 safety and put it in the vise. The idea was to grind it down to the flat plate. A little bit of grinding revealed a reminder that the safety's spring for the ball bearing detent come through that plate. I measured the depth of the hole, the proceeded to grind it flat. I'll drill the hole to it's old depth once the new paddle is on.

Next step: either silver solder the paddle on, or get a buddy to tig weld it. I have a mig welder that I'm not very experienced with, and my concern is burning through the plate on the safety. Once attached, I'll polish it up to an attractive shape. e04216ade857b4d8832d182834280d7b.jpg1acfe856604103a07ce3752e1153cad4.jpg14c764feb6b7fcf98c73cf1698324c71.jpg51e89a6a2fb63ad32b9e8c19f9bbd163.jpg5435e8a4b459df7dd9f114b45a0f2b48.jpgc831fb80a19828602f5882901f39d6c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had a buddy TIG weld it. The factory safety plate is really thin and was melting off. It was tough to salvage, but It works. I do wish it had been possible to get the safety in the same spot in relation to my hand as on my Tac Sport. On the P120 it feels more like in between my lower TS thumb safety and a higher 1911 thumb safety.

• 2 weeks later...

Now ain't that pretty! I have committed the p120 to be my wife's Limited minor pistol. I put in a CZUB SA trigger, all I had to do was drill the trigger pin out from 2mm to 2.5mm. And I fitted a CZ75 magwell. The p120 frame is .02" ish wider than a CZ75 frame, so I hit the frame with a file where the magwell slips over it. The Grips are LOK thin short grips, they required filing the bottoms at the back strap side about 1/16" so that the screw holes lined up & so they weren't hitting the magwell.

My CZC 140mm base pads work fine with the magwell. My Springer +0 pads hit the magwell in the front.

The trigger is very light and nice after putting the factory mainspring back in. I really look forward to shooting it in this configuration. 22faed9fb457f324fc18ea35e71be32f.jpg

• 11 months later...

Great read here.  I know that I am joining late, but recently went through a T-120 I picked up used a few months ago.  I installed a CGW SAO flat trigger with over-travel and pre-travel adjustments and installed their lighter spring kit as well.  One of things I wanted to change about i from the beginning was he sharp lines the gun had, so I blended all of the lines and rounded them off to a degree just to make the guns smoother in the hands.  I also did a minor undercut on the trigger guard, and rounded it off some as well.  I have only put a couple of mags through it so far, but it is much better feeling now with these changes.  I am trying to decide what to do with the sights on it, as I currently have an optic plate with a Holosun 507C on it.  If I am going to keep it with Optic, I will want to get the slide milled to get it permanently mounted.  Your work showed me I can easily fit a new mag release in if I decide I want to, but honestly it doesn't really give me any trouble, and I doubt I will ever use it for competitions.  It is just a very fun range gun at this point.  I also strpped it down to bare metal and re-finished using Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II in desert tan.

T120 4.png