Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tristar p-120 (cz sp01 clone) review

obsessiveshooter

I bought a Tristar p120 for $400 as a project gun for dabbling in production. Since there isn't much info on these out there, I thought I would start this thread and update it as I tune the pistol.

Since I shoot a CZ TS in limited and hadn't messed with a da/sa pistol in years, I was amazed at how heavy the trigger pull was out of the box. Apparently it's about the same as an SP01 out of the box. Which means it needs springs immediately.

The fit and finish are superb. Machining looks better inside the slide than on my TS. It does not have actual bluing, rather it is a good even cerakote. (You can also get this in a silver cerakote).

It came with 2 mecgar 17 round mags with the +2 extensions. The 3dot sights it came with were good enough for daylight defensive use, but not for USPSA.

To get started, I ran 50 rounds of factory ammo through it, then 200 rounds of 135 PF bbi ammo I loaded. No malfunctions at all. At 9 yards i was able to match the accuracy of my TS. I've run another 500 rounds through it since and it continues to run flawlessly. It also runs defensive ammo with no hiccups.

In the hand, with factory grips, it feels just a touch larger than an SP01 with factory grips. I bought some new takeoff CZ factory rubber grips to make it even bigger, and they were a direct fit.

For sights, I installed dawson precision FO front, black fixed rear for an SP01. Front sight was direct fit, rear sight needed just a touch with a file, about the same as I would expect if it were being installed on an actual CZ. I could tell that the slide was a little bit high behind the dovetail, but I just tapped the sight on in.

Trigger function was improved greatly by swapping out springs and following kneelingatlas's guide to tuning a CZ. The TriStar does not come with a trigger that is adjustable for overtravel. This can be bought from cgw, but as of right now would not be legal for production. There's also some creep in the trigger because the hammer hooks are deeper than what you would find on a competition gun hammer. Again, cgw sells a race hammer for this pistol. I'm betting production rules change soon and this will be allowable. In the meantime, the trigger is nice enough now after polishing and swapping springs that I don't see it holding me back at all. And, all CZ Springs are a direct fit in the TriStar.

Dislikes so far:

*It needs a longer mag release.

*No beveling on the magwell.

*Fit is secure in a bladetech SP01 holster, but doesn't click in quite like I would like.

*Safety is stiff. I'm used to the giant CZC safety on my TS, that works as a thumb rest. The TriStar safety is much more difficult to hit.

*the adjustable trigger, hammer and extended SP01 nag release are not legal for production, yet. (As of 10/17).

921b89b668169c06d093ba4420d59b11.jpgd9c27a63f80232a368603d533462d44c.jpgfb46129f6bdc4d10f6f05f7b7e7c8955.jpg665e32ead23f0cef8e0fc720ffafac1f.jpga8ad6a928603bf86449ea4b3841731e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review; are you planning to install a cajun disco? Isn't the after market hammer legal now in production?
I plan on putting everything Cajun offers into this gun eventually. Extended magazine release will be first. Then adjustable trigger, then hammer.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

I plan on putting everything Cajun offers into this gun eventually. Extended magazine release will be first. Then adjustable trigger, then hammer.

How close is the mag release design compared to a Shadow mag release?

When I had a P-120 I polished up the internals and installed an extended CGW SP01 firing pin turned down to fit, reduced firing pin spring, CGW firing pin retaining pin, and an 8.5 hammer spring. I also had a CZ97 trigger drilled out so that I could install it along with the CGW Canik floating trigger pin. The profile of both triggers were nearly identical. I don't recall the trigger pull weights but it was super smooth and I am sure if I installed the CGW hammer kit, I could probably get it to be as nice as a fully upgraded SP01.

When I had a P-120 I polished up the internals and installed an extended CGW SP01 firing pin turned down to fit, reduced firing pin spring, CGW firing pin retaining pin, and an 8.5 hammer spring. I also had a CZ97 trigger drilled out so that I could install it along with the CGW Canik floating trigger pin. The profile of both triggers were nearly identical. I don't recall the trigger pull weights but it was super smooth and I am sure if I installed the CGW hammer kit, I could probably get it to be as nice as a fully upgraded SP01.

Cgw confirmed that the sp01 mag release is compatible with minor fitting.

1 hour ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Cgw confirmed that the sp01 mag release is compatible with minor fitting.

Hmm, I may have to pickup another P-120 when I move to free America.

• 4 weeks later...

So I fitted a cz sp01 extended mag release. I knew it would require a little work, per CGW's expertise. It wasn't too bad. I chose to file the frame, instead of the release because of ease. I used a small round file to remove a small amount of the smaller radius of the figure-8. Then sanded it smooth with high grit paper wrapped around the file. Works great!
c392ece597bfa2472a2d819dd70f70a2.jpgb0962e3a35042133706e9d9db17ba1d0.jpg

I shot the P-120 in a match today for the first time, my first time ever shooting production division.  The pistol ran great & accurate.  Twice I let my weak hand thumb ride the slide, keeping it from picking up the next round.  That's all on me.  I found the pistol to shoot very flat, and the plate racks were much easier to clean than with my .40 TS.  An M class shooter even mentioned how flat it shot.  In my match videos, I don't really see any muzzle flip when I'm gripping it.  Right now I have the original TRS in ( bent my reduced power TRS) and a 13lb hammer spring, so the trigger pull isn't anywhere near as light as it could be.  Even like this, the pistol was adequate for coming in 2nd production on a longer course of fire.  I'll update again when I put some new parts on it, or put a trigger pull gauge to it.  

• 4 months later...

Yes, since I started this thread I have added an over travel set screw to the factory trigger and installed the adjustable sear and race hammer from Cajun. It totally continues to run flawlessly.

The next thing I'll do is undercut the trigger guard. 8c5df3a91023b5a9d99bedeed00e662f.jpg

I did a build video on the Tristar T120 a few years back, it is still on Youtube. Cajun gunworks wasn't making parts for them yet so I ordered a bunch of parts from CZ custom and made them fit, sights, extended FP and mag release. I did the same massaging to the frame to fit the mag release that you did. I kept the factory hammer and just cut the hooks down on my mill, also I installed a single action factory trigger, removed the FP safety and got the trigger travel and reset down to the same as my old Czechmate, pull weight is about 3lbs. They are just as good as much more expensive guns IMHO. It now doubles as my nightstand gun as well.06183e9a215e161e328d76c48b0018b7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

In keeping with the new production rules, I undercut the trigger guard a bit on the right side. Much more comfortable. I guess it's less of an undercut and more of a rounding of the edges. I did the same thing on my TS and I loved the result.
In the pic you can also see the overtravel set screw I added to the factory trigger. I could have bought a trigger from Cajun like this, but a drill bit, tap and 8mm set screw was only 10 bucks. And if I screwed it up, I could always order the cajun trigger then.

BTW, still no malfunctions yet, well over 1000 rounds. 3a2fa7603a77095075e8df655797b006.jpg

Picked mine up, put about 200 through it, the factory trigger leaves a lot to be desired, so do the sights. Pretty accurate, that heavy gun handling is going to take a lot of getting used to, not sure I'll put the time in this summer. Will probably do some blending on that triggerguard as well.

Edited by Beef15

Nice work on your P-120.  I have been shooting a P-120 in production for the last year and it has been great for an affordable competition gun.  I replaced all the stuff I could with cajun parts, replaced sights, and tuned the trigger. With the production rule changes, I did the same thing with my trigger and added an overtravel stop screw.

• 9 months later...

The P120 will now be a Carry Optics pistol. The CZC universal dovetail mount went on with a little typical fitting. I'm looking forward to trying it out! The p120 has proved 100% reliable over time, and every time I pick it up I'm like, dang, this is a quality piece!b3860f80a705716baecc29b6595cd981.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Update-
I'm taking the dot off the p120. I shot it for the 1st time in a steel challenge match, just to get used to it.
The Burris FF2 was horrible! On a bright sunny day, the dot is about as bright as a spot of red paint, no brighter than the white on the steel targets. I changed the battery halfway though with no improvement. Every freaking string I had 2 seconds of finding the dot.
Also, on a narrow CZ slide, I rack the slide by grabbing the dot. The on/off switch is on the side, and pulling back the slide pulls the switch back into the OFF position EVERY TIME. I can't believe they promote this as a pistol dot. I can't believe they didn't recognize this during R&D.

I'm realizing that to do Carry Optics right, you must get a very bright dot [leupold] and you need to have your slide milled for the dot. The all-steel CZC dovetail plate + the weight and height of the dot really changes the recoil impulse a ton. I loaded some 100 gr ammo at an ultra low PF to try at this match- this ammo made this pistol recoil like it used to before adding the dot. It feels crazy though with the regular minor PF ammo.

So, I'd have to win the lottery before I'd drop $400 on a leupold dot and $200 slide milling, just so I could try a division.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, williamL said:

Where to get barrel? Would SP01 barrel drop in P120?

The SP01 barrel will not fit the P120. It's a larger diameter barrel. That's not to say someone with the correct tools and time couldn't make it work, but it is definitely NOT a drop in part.

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2017 at 3:35 PM, himurax13 said:

Any fitting do you need of using CGW SP01 extended firing pin? 

Any success to get short reset work?