Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you focus on the dot or the target?

AzShooter

Were the sights on target when I squeezed? Do I have proper trigger control? If the answer to either of those is "no", I don't squeeze the shot off. If the answer is "yes" then I already know what I need to without seeing the sights lift. If the answer is "no" and you are squeezing the shot off anyway, then you need to go back and work on your fundamentals and discipline.

If the the sights were properly aligned on the center of the target when I squeezed the trigger, I KNOW where that shot went. WHat is the sight lifting going to tell me that I don't already know?

Calling the shot AFTER the bullet has left the barrel is damn near useless. Know where it is going to go BEFORE you send it. THAT is calling your shots. Everything else is just guessing.
[emoji108][emoji108][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Tape on the front of the optic. The dot will still show up but function as an occluded eye scope. Your weak eye will fill in the missing part of the image for your brain.

Kidd2 so u would be looking over the optic when you dry fire? 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 10/5/2018 at 3:51 AM, Dranoel said:

Were the sights on target when I squeezed? Do I have proper trigger control? If the answer to either of those is "no", I don't squeeze the shot off. If the answer is "yes" then I already know what I need to without seeing the sights lift. If the answer is "no" and you are squeezing the shot off anyway, then you need to go back and work on your fundamentals and discipline.

If the the sights were properly aligned on the center of the target when I squeezed the trigger, I KNOW where that shot went. WHat is the sight lifting going to tell me that I don't already know?

Calling the shot AFTER the bullet has left the barrel is damn near useless. Know where it is going to go BEFORE you send it. THAT is calling your shots. Everything else is just guessing.

This is very interesting, this is also a lot closer to what I do although pretty much unconsciously. I've always read people talking about seeing sights lift but I haven't gotten a proper hang of it. Thanks for explaining!

On 10/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, Dranoel said:

The first part to me reads more like aiming the shot calling. It also seems slower to wait until you can confirm proper sight picture to fire the shot.

Calling the shot after, or as the sight lift means I can pull the trigger faster than i can recognize exactly where it's going then fire make up shots as needed as needed after the fact based on what I saw.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:51 PM, Dranoel said:

You’ll get faster and more accurate when you actually learn to call your shots, as opposed to aiming really hard.

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

The first part to me reads more like aiming the shot calling. It also seems slower to wait until you can confirm proper sight picture to fire the shot.

Calling the shot after, or as the sight lift means I can pull the trigger faster than i can recognize exactly where it's going then fire make up shots as needed as needed after the fact based on what I saw.

50 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You’ll get faster and more accurate when you actually learn to call your shots, as opposed to aiming really hard.

If you are calling your shots after the bullet has left the barrel, all you are doing is watching for misses. If you have your fundamentals down and you are indexing properly, sight confirmation takes 1/1000 sec. If the shot isn't good and I adjust, it takes 1/10th of a sec. How much time does your miss cost?

It's not about "aiming hard". It's about the sights being on target when the gun stops on it. KNOWING the shot was good when you SQUEEZED it, not when it's TOO LATE to do anything about it.

From Steel and Bowling pin experience: (and yes, I know you're talking USPSA but it's the same principal)

If I draw on the first pin and fire before I see a good sight picture and miss, it will take me at least 3/10 sec to shoot it again and now I'm hurrying the shot and more likely to miss the second shot on it. If I take the 1/10 sec to adjust if needed, I don't need to make a second or third shot. I've seen even the Pros fall into that trap. Miss one target and then fire 3 shots at the last pin or stop plate. I'd be willing to bet you, if you take the time to call your shot AS you fire it instead of AFTER, you'll find yourself scoring better.

You don’t call the shot before the shot is fired. It doesn’t happen after the bullet is downrange, either.

Where the sight(s) were located as you built the final 10% worth of pressure on the trigger doesn’t matter. It’s where your gun was aimed as the bullet passed down the barrel that matters.

Shot calling takes place during the gun’s firing cycle.

We’re human. The gun will always have the potential to shift as your muscles fire it. Whether the gun stayed on target when it lifted in recoil, or shifted two inches high left? If you don’t know that information before the bullet has landed, you’re not calling your shot.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 11/2/2018 at 6:05 PM, Dranoel said:

If you are calling your shots after the bullet has left the barrel, all you are doing is watching for misses. If you have your fundamentals down and you are indexing properly, sight confirmation takes 1/1000 sec. If the shot isn't good and I adjust, it takes 1/10th of a sec. How much time does your miss cost?

It's not about "aiming hard". It's about the sights being on target when the gun stops on it. KNOWING the shot was good when you SQUEEZED it, not when it's TOO LATE to do anything about it.

From Steel and Bowling pin experience: (and yes, I know you're talking USPSA but it's the same principal)

If I draw on the first pin and fire before I see a good sight picture and miss, it will take me at least 3/10 sec to shoot it again and now I'm hurrying the shot and more likely to miss the second shot on it. If I take the 1/10 sec to adjust if needed, I don't need to make a second or third shot. I've seen even the Pros fall into that trap. Miss one target and then fire 3 shots at the last pin or stop plate. I'd be willing to bet you, if you take the time to call your shot AS you fire it instead of AFTER, you'll find yourself scoring better.

Basically that. I'm trying to see where every shot goes and make up the ones that didn't go where I wanted.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:08 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Basically that. I'm trying to see where every shot goes and make up the ones that didn't go where I wanted.

Making up misses will NEVER be faster than making sure you don't miss.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, Dranoel said:

I think those that talk about the sight lifting are doing the same thing you are.  What they say sight lift tells you is the actual instant that sight alignment was important.  It wasn't important before you fired the shot, it wasn't important after you fired the shot, it was important at the instant the shot fired.  Seeing the sight lift tells you that instant.  This really applies to shooting quickly when the sights are never truly steady and stable or the dot is not completely stationary. 

• 1 month later...

Only look at the target!  The dot will be there.  You've got to move your eyes to the next target as soon as you break the shot on the current target.  Suggestion:  Buy a copy of Ken Verderame's (Nimitz on this forum) book from Amazon, "Do You Feel the Need for Speed". He went from never having never shot a pistol to a GM in Steel Challenge in less than 3 years.  Lots of good drills on vision, transitions, etc., as well as suggestions on how to shoot each stage at the fastest speed.  He also sells some dry fire banners that let you practice all eight steel challenge stages.  I used them exclusively for 6 months with a laser pistol (no actual shooting) and between his book and the banners, the first match I shot I picked up over 4 seconds in my total time!  No connection, just a believer!  

• 2 weeks later...

like others have said, with a dot theoretically, it is on the same focal plane as what ever you are looking at past it.  

So always target focus.  

This might not be a popular opinion, but when I used to shoot irons, I got considerably better when I stopped focusing on the irons plane.  I just practiced a lot doing only target focus and it was much similar to shooting a blurry red dot lol

I got much better at shooting in general when I switched to a red dot.  It taught me what I need to see in general and I carried that over to irons.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2018 at 6:43 AM, stick said:

You need to learn to call your shots.  Waiting for the ding on steel will slow you down.  You also need to know what is an acceptable sight picture on the steel with your dot.  For example, here's what I did.  In the picture below, I tested what hit the plate and what didn't.  I now know what's an acceptable sight picture that will hit the plate.

steel hits.png

steel hits1.png

Stick for US that love pictures vs words 

Great diagram  thanks