Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brakes for Open Shotguns, Which one is most effective?

VforVandetta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qufs6-IngdE

I've been working on this bad boy for months. The footage was filmed in an afternoon. The editing.....was pretty painstaking. 

7 brakes reviewed, with a stock vepr 12 rigged in a sled, with 2 different kinds of ammo, and every shot slo-mo'd and annotated.

Authentic Molot Illyn GK 01, 02, and Custom Guns GK 03
Dissident Arms Phoenix
Sutaev
Bad Boy Gunz V6
Carolina Shooters Supply American GK-01 clone

and of course the baseline was set by testing the gun first with a naked muzzle. 

Enjoy!

-V

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

V, thanks for going to all the trouble of conducting this research, and sharing it with us.

I don't have 28 minutes to view, right now - so, could you pls summarize it for me?

I've heard that NO muzzle brake is effective for 12 gauge ...   ???    :)

Key points -

The muzzle devices I chose, which are true brakes, and not just flash hiders/tactical Timmy door breaches are all EXTREMELY effective.

Eliminate more recoil and rise than Anything I've seen used on ANY other shotgun, including other mag Feds.

Even with budget value brick federal target ammo.

All 7 I chose shine in their own way, and the data tables I made at the end of the video leave it to the end user as to which brake best fit their needs. It's worth every bit of 28 minutes to watch it and I won't be offended if you watch it while you're on the crapper. 

Currently, on my gun, I'm using the Dissident Phoenix.

-V 

Edited by VforVandetta

Got around to watching the video ...   (and I was NOT on the crapper)    <_<

Excellent.    :bow:

V6 is the lightest, shortest and MOST EFFECTIVE at muzzle climb (spoiler alert)   ....

Thank you Very Much for sharing that.

What are the comparative prices on those comps (Not that it matters since the V6 is so much better)?

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/2/2017 at 10:47 PM, BoyGlock said:

Newbie question. How do you attach those to an M2 or 1301? How will the chokes work with them?

The external threads on most AK shotgun platforms Including the Vepr 12 is M22x.75

Dissident Arms has partnered with Briley Manufacturing to internally thread the AK shotgun barrels for briley thin wall chokes. A long choke wrench is used to change the chokes without having to remove the compensator. 

I am not sure how extensive the work would be but I do believe it's possible. And if anyone can make it happen it's us and Briley.

Contact me at Vadim@dissidentArms if you are interested.

-V