Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 spp Have you actually had problems?

rustybayonet

I try to cull them out but sometimes one gets by. I started smashing/identifying them after one got to the priming station on my S1050 and it blew the whole tube of primers. They are evil!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, DsWright said:

I see lots of comments all over the net about a 30-50 fps loss with SPP brass over large.  My chrono disagrees with this.  I also worked up my load and found the sweet spot with OAL and powder charge that gives a very consistent 750 FPS.  

I don't see a measurable difference with small over large, shooting cast and powdercoated 230 Gr Truncated cone.  The only difference i see is that when using mixed brass, the spp have a lower SD.  That i think comes from the fact that only a few headstamps have SPP and are newer.  When loading LPP who knows how old the case is, and many many more headstamps.

I need to amend my previous post.  With 230 grain rounds this is true, however today i tried 200 gr RNFP which leave much more case volume than 230 grain or even 200 gr SWC.  I had a massive FPS loss with the 200gr and CFE.  Haven't tested this particular bullet with large and TG yet.

.45 Data.jpg

On 4/14/2018 at 12:06 AM, DsWright said:

I need to amend my previous post.  With 230 grain rounds this is true, however today i tried 200 gr RNFP which leave much more case volume than 230 grain or even 200 gr SWC.  I had a massive FPS loss with the 200gr and CFE.  Haven't tested this particular bullet with large and TG yet.

.45 Data.jpg

Wow, that is surprising, wish I would have read this yesterday before loading 200 rounds of .45 ACP 200 grain Hornady XTPs.  Glad I went on the heavier side of Longshot.

• 1 month later...

I started using .45 SPP brass when I realized I really didn't need top-loaded .460 Rowland and wanted to create lesser loads using ACP brass.  I opted for small primer because it stands out and acts the same as a "headstamp" to alert me they are loaded well above standard .45 auto levels.  I have one load of .460 Rowland using 15 gr. of AA-7 and another of ".45 Super" using the same charge in the SPP brass, both pushing Berry's 185 grain RNHB bullets.  The .460R loads are seated to 1.260" and the .45 super to 1.250", but even the super load recorded a very consistent 1,340 fps versus the .460R registering 1,423 fps.  This was shot from the exact same pistol.

Again with SPP brass, with 12.5 of 800-X under the Berry's 185 gr. RNHB, I got an unexpected 1,442 fps, compared to 13.5 grain of 800-X in the .460 Rowland brass recording 1,461 fps.  In this case the .460R was seated to 1.275" versus the .45 super seated to 1.250".