Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 spp Have you actually had problems?

rustybayonet

Just wondering? Everyone seems worried about prefomance of spp in .45acp. I'm a poor shooter, so I have been loading spp45 for a while now. I only use them for my plinking and never had a problem with ignition or accuracy. 

Again just curious to find out what problems you have had?

I kinda prefer ssp brass.  They let met make a run of 45 without changing over my primer assembly on my press.  I know I add an extra 0.1 of powder because they were slightly slower.  I can't say for sure but I believe it was 30 feet per second slower.  I have also used magnum primers with them.  It was still slightly slower but not by much.

I use spp brass when I don't want to collect my brass. I use lpp mainly because it's plentiful at the range I use and they let me pick it up. As far as performance goes they feel the same to me. I load the same load in both and can't tell the difference.

Never a problem and as stated do your due diligence at your chrono and use them.

With some powders I find not enough difference to have to change load.

other powders have to go up a couple tenths

Using Australian Clays for powder, my velocity did not change when going from LPP .45 to SPP .45.  I use SRMP with the SPP brass.  The primers aren't available at this time (Tula) and neither is the powder but I'd imagine that any fast powder like that version of Clays would have about the same results.

• 1 month later...

I don't load both, so I can't comment on problems.   My only experience with SPP .45 brass is when I accidentally pick up a piece or three on the range, toss it into my mixed brass plinking bucket, then eventually try to cram a LPP into it.   This leads to breaking my loading rhythm, and lots of bad language while the offending piece of brass is stomped flat on my basement floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never intentionally loaded 45 ACP brass with Small Pistol Primers but I have found a very positive method of identifying them little %^#@$DS when I find them

mixed up in my real 45 ACP Brass.

SPP 45 ACP.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I see lots of comments all over the net about a 30-50 fps loss with SPP brass over large.  My chrono disagrees with this.  I also worked up my load and found the sweet spot with OAL and powder charge that gives a very consistent 750 FPS.  

I don't see a measurable difference with small over large, shooting cast and powdercoated 230 Gr Truncated cone.  The only difference i see is that when using mixed brass, the spp have a lower SD.  That i think comes from the fact that only a few headstamps have SPP and are newer.  When loading LPP who knows how old the case is, and many many more headstamps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 12:05 PM, tires2burn said:

I use spp brass when I don't want to collect my brass. I use lpp mainly because it's plentiful at the range I use and they let me pick it up. As far as performance goes they feel the same to me. I load the same load in both and can't tell the difference.

Have you chronoed them?

On 12/17/2017 at 3:06 PM, hgr2 said:

I have never intentionally loaded 45 ACP brass with Small Pistol Primers but I have found a very positive method of identifying them little %^#@$DS when I find them

SPP 45 ACP.jpg

:roflol:

On 1/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, DsWright said:

I see lots of comments all over the net about a 30-50 fps loss with SPP brass over large.  My chrono disagrees with this.  I also worked up my load and found the sweet spot with OAL and powder charge that gives a very consistent 750 FPS.  

What powder did you find these results with?

• 4 weeks later...

I load .45 for a friend's 625 and oddly enough we noticed a significant increase in light strikes using small vs large primers. This was the case using both factory Federal, as well as me hand loading with Federal primers seating them deeply.

I'd of never thought that would be a problem, but it's consistently going from 1 or 2% light strikes with LPP, to I'd guess around 15% with small.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On 2/24/2018 at 9:34 PM, gtaylor07 said:

I load .45 for a friend's 625 and oddly enough we noticed a significant increase in light strikes using small vs large primers. This was the case using both factory Federal, as well as me hand loading with Federal primers seating them deeply.

I'd of never thought that would be a problem, but it's consistently going from 1 or 2% light strikes with LPP, to I'd guess around 15% with small.

anytime you have light strikes with Fed primers, that you know are seated correctly, you have to think its the firearm.  Can't get any softer than fed primers.  2lb trigger means nothing if it doesn't run reliably. 

Correct he needs to get the Apex pin for Federals, but what was noteworthy was the difference between large and small varieties. Not anything I had heard of, but very real.

6 hours ago, gtaylor07 said:

Correct he needs to get the Apex pin for Federals, but what was noteworthy was the difference between large and small varieties. Not anything I had heard of, but very real.

Makes sense, the small might be a bit harder, the smaller diameter would mean the folded edges might give it a bit more rigidity maybe?  but when you are riding that fine line of reliability, the risk vs reward is way off balance to the risk side.

I only load 45 acp  and 9mm so not having to swap press back and forth is a plus, only have to stock spp is nice. When you get a LPP mixed in and attempt to prime it just won't seat ( pockets to large) not a big deal. I mainly use federal case which seem to run very consistent length. Using coated bullets various powders and chromo to confirm results. Small pistol primers have been a good experience for me,  many people avoid them making them easy to attain. If your just starting to reload this may be a good way to go.

• 3 weeks later...
On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM, hgr2 said:

SPP 45 ACP.jpg

LOL

On 12/17/2017 at 2:06 PM, hgr2 said:

SPP 45 ACP.jpg

That's classic!

I find them by having my 650 stop when it shouldn't.  I just grab it off the press and substitute a sized and deprimed LPP brass.  I've been taking them to the range and leaving them on the bench for some other brass scavenger.