Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Georgia State Championship

I shot sat night. The stages were good.... started late then waited  damn near two hours to shoot my second stage, shot my last stage in the dark. Reset all day... 5 man squad, tough as hell. Expected more staff to reset but they didn’t make it. Loved  the shoot house, Peter-ish, and the memory stage. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

I shot sat night. The stages were good.... started late then waited  damn near two hours to shoot my second stage, shot my last stage in the dark. Reset all day... 5 man squad, tough as hell. Expected more staff to reset but they didn’t make it. Loved  the shoot house, Peter-ish, and the memory stage. 

You aren't kidding about Saturday night. Fired my last shot at 6:45p in near dark conditions. 

Also had a 5 man squad after some no shows. 

Starting late stinks... but even more inexcusable was the traffic jam we encountered in the middle of the day. There were 3 squads at Stage 6 at one point. Crazy. 

Stages were great, but I expect a bit more smoothness out of a $140 match fee. 

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

You aren't kidding about Saturday night. Fired my last shot at 6:45p in near dark conditions. 

Also had a 5 man squad after some no shows. 

Starting late stinks... but even more inexcusable was the traffic jam we encountered in the middle of the day. There were 3 squads at Stage 6 at one point. Crazy. 

Stages were great, but I expect a bit more smoothness out of a $140 match fee. 

That stinks...we had a 6 person squad and everything went pretty smooth.  The only roadblock was on a smaller stage, one of the ROs did not show up so we ended up helping out with scoring to keep things moving.  

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Why didn’t you guys combine these 5-6 man squads? Shooters shouldn’t be assholes and elbows all day, especially at a major.

Why didn't we? Don't you mean why didn't the organizer?

We didn't know our squad sizes were so limited until we got to our stage and began shooting. 

1 hour ago, thatllHappen said:

That stinks...we had a 6 person squad and everything went pretty smooth.  The only roadblock was on a smaller stage, one of the ROs did not show up so we ended up helping out with scoring to keep things moving.  

How did the competitors "help out" with scoring? 

How did the competitors "help out" with scoring? 

I heard on Friday they actually ran clocks and ipads to score. The match was advertised as staff reset and the price point reflected that- but that’s not what was delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ArrDave said:

I heard on Friday they actually ran clocks and ipads to score. The match was advertised as staff reset and the price point reflected that- but that’s not what was delivered

There was no self scoring on Saturday, but we definitely had to reset all the stages on ourselves

There was no self scoring on Saturday, but we definitely had to reset all the stages on ourselves

Same- shot In the dark on my last stage by the light from the flood light of the shelter at the back of the bay

2 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Why didn't we? Don't you mean why didn't the organizer?

We didn't know our squad sizes were so limited until we got to our stage and began shooting. 

That sucks. I would have gone to the MD and gotten it fixed before shooting. That stuff is too easy for MD/stats to fix 

1 hour ago, ArrDave said:

That is correct, on Sunday they did the same.  There was only 1 RO in the bay so we helped out by using the ipad and then helped him with getting things copied over to the paper.  The same thing the 2nd RO would have done in the cases of the other bays.  Why the bay was down one RO I am not sure nor did I ask.

We also did self reset all day sunday.

13 minutes ago, thatllHappen said:

That is correct, on Sunday they did the same.  There was only 1 RO in the bay so we helped out by using the ipad and then helped him with getting things copied over to the paper.  The same thing the 2nd RO would have done in the cases of the other bays.  Why the bay was down one RO I am not sure nor did I ask.

We also did self reset all day sunday.

Egads this sounds like a Charlie Foxtrot. Resetting is acceptable but paid competitors should never be on any official duty let alone score and run shooters.

This match was not a championship-caliber event. 

There were not enough ROs for the half-day format.  I felt bad for them because they were visibly run ragged, exacerbated by running behind and dealing with squad bottlenecks.  The morning relay ran long and thus the afternoon relay was 1+ hour late in starting.  On one particular stage they were three squads deep backed up.  There was 1+ hour delay between shooting.  The PM relay was still shooting at dusk, in low-light.  

Frankly, if you shot the Saturday PM relay, you got screwed from a competitive equity perspective.    

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

That sucks. I would have gone to the MD and gotten it fixed before shooting. That stuff is too easy for MD/stats to fix 

Bullshit sarge.... you acted like a 3 year old having a tantrum when I gave my slot at the buckeye blast to @Chris Keen. BUT you’d a joined entire squads at the drop of a hat because it’s easy? Get the f*~k outa here.

GA will need to step up their game if they want this match to continue. 

57 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Bullshit sarge.... you acted like a 3 year old having a tantrum when I gave my slot at the buckeye blast to @Chris Keen. BUT you’d a joined entire squads at the drop of a hat because it’s easy? Get the f*~k outa here.

GA will need to step up their game if they want this match to continue. 

Ha! I’ve been waiting for this and I’m happy you brought it up.

I made a commitment to stats that I would not allow registration changes within x amount of days before shooting started. That’s when one of you guys went into practiscore and manipulated info after I rejected your request. So yeah, I acted like a pissed off MD when people tried to do an end around and got caught.

Coming to me and saying”hey man, we can’t shoot this with five guys on our squad”, would have been handled on the spot. Then again me and my stats guy would have seen the problem way before you showed up on the first stage.

Apples and oranges.....

Edited by Sarge

Yeah it didn't live up to expectations established last year.  Last year was a different range and different club hosting.  NC section was managed about as well as it could be for a half day format - kind of gives the GA match a black eye IMO.  If I sign up next year it will be a last minute kind of thing.  If.

I don't expect things to be any better next year, in fact I'd guess they will be worse. The same club has the match again next year. They ran ROs ragged this year so I bet they will have even more trouble getting staff next year. 

Stages were good, better than they looked on paper. Management was a disaster that was easily predictable if the MD had been paying more attention ahead of time.

2 minutes ago, bthoefer said:

I don't expect things to be any better next year, in fact I'd guess they will be worse. The same club has the match again next year. They ran ROs ragged this year so I bet they will have even more trouble getting staff next year. 

Stages were good, better than they looked on paper. Management was a disaster that was easily predictable if the MD had been paying more attention ahead of time.

Agree completely with all points. 

Even the monthly match at this club is a bit underwhelming. 

I shot my first USPSA here... and as a newbie... we were basically running ourselves... as they didn't distribute their ROs/experienced staff around the squads. 

The last monthly match I shot, they took nearly 30 days to pay/upload the classifier results. 

Just a bummer all around. 

The stages were a pleasant treat... and they shot them again the following week for their 3 gun match (with a few modifications). 

I think I'll be waiting on Riverbend to get the State match before I return. 

On 11/15/2017 at 6:08 PM, Dirty_J said:

Agree completely with all points. 

Even the monthly match at this club is a bit underwhelming. 

I shot my first USPSA here... and as a newbie... we were basically running ourselves... as they didn't distribute their ROs/experienced staff around the squads. 

The last monthly match I shot, they took nearly 30 days to pay/upload the classifier results. 

Just a bummer all around. 

The stages were a pleasant treat... and they shot them again the following week for their 3 gun match (with a few modifications). 

I think I'll be waiting on Riverbend to get the State match before I return. 

That match has gone down hill since APS took over from the previous USPSA match. They have run off most of the good shooters in the area who simply shoot the other matches. They always set up the same stages for the 3 gun match and use them for USPSA. 

I've got nothing against matches / clubs being for profit, but that club illustrates all of the potential downsides of caring more about making money than putting on a good match. 

Eric the stage designer is the only good one there and I don't know how long before he burns out. 

Edited by bthoefer

59 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

I didn't stick around for the prize table ( I didn't even realize it was going to be prize table, whoops). 

Does anyone know what was on it?  What did division winners pick up? 

Range bags and 500 round count boxes of Bullets. Funny thing though, the limited table only had 9 and 45 on it. There was also a Guga Ribas holster and magnet bracket. I really didn't see anything else on the limited table though. 

16 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

Range bags and 500 round count boxes of Bullets. Funny thing though, the limited table only had 9 and 45 on it. There was also a Guga Ribas holster and magnet bracket. I really didn't see anything else on the limited table though. 

Meh. Not worried about it then.

jusy wanted to make sure div winners didn't grab something good.