Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Georgia State Championship

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my prediction - there will be one arbitrary standards stage then a bunch of 32 round field courses and a carnival stage.  Here are my predictions

Stage 1 will be a shoot house - there will probably be a hidden target - meaning you engage it in only one location and the sight lines will be.  It will likely be start in a box outside the shooting area, advance into a shooting area where there will be an array on the left of the house and a right of the house.  There will be 4-5 targets in the house and a target on each side you have to shoot from within the house out of the windows.  The last position will be shooting out the back door for a few targets.  It will be really straightforward.

Stage 2 will be a large free form stage where there will be a huge shooting area and because of vision barriers a lot of options - you'll see several different viable plans here and the divisions will tackle them appreciably differently

Stage 3-8 will be straight forward long courses with one stage with a very tricky gimmick - like a memory stage, or reloads from barrels or something like that. 

Stage 9 will be a carnival stage with some kind of arbitrary WSB rule thrown in like SHO or WHO after mandatory reload.

Stage 10 will be the standards stage which is over the top on marksmanship. 

There will be a decent amount of steel - probably using a plate rack on one stage. 

On 10/13/2017 at 7:16 AM, ArrDave said:

Here's my prediction - there will be one arbitrary standards stage then a bunch of 32 round field courses and a carnival stage.  Here are my predictions

Stage 1 will be a shoot house - there will probably be a hidden target - meaning you engage it in only one location and the sight lines will be.  It will likely be start in a box outside the shooting area, advance into a shooting area where there will be an array on the left of the house and a right of the house.  There will be 4-5 targets in the house and a target on each side you have to shoot from within the house out of the windows.  The last position will be shooting out the back door for a few targets.  It will be really straightforward.

Stage 2 will be a large free form stage where there will be a huge shooting area and because of vision barriers a lot of options - you'll see several different viable plans here and the divisions will tackle them appreciably differently

Stage 3-8 will be straight forward long courses with one stage with a very tricky gimmick - like a memory stage, or reloads from barrels or something like that. 

Stage 9 will be a carnival stage with some kind of arbitrary WSB rule thrown in like SHO or WHO after mandatory reload.

Stage 10 will be the standards stage which is over the top on marksmanship. 

There will be a decent amount of steel - probably using a plate rack on one stage. 

I think this is awesome. Sounds kinda like the 3Gun match from a few weeks back or A6 from a few months ago...

On 10/14/2017 at 11:31 AM, wgj3 said:

I think this is awesome. Sounds kinda like the 3Gun match from a few weeks back or A6 from a few months ago...

It will be much like a 3 gun match or recycled club stages.

I hope desperately I'm proven wrong. 

1 hour ago, ArrDave said:

MD had his computer crash so they ended up having to recreate all the stages.  That's what I'm told, anyways.

If they were approved by uspsa then there would be a email chain that they could send him with the stages on it. ?

Half day format would have been great if we had started on time.  We were slotted Sat PM starting at 12:45 and didn't get started until almost 2:00.  We had two squads ahead of us before we could shoot that hadn't finished up in the am and ended up pasting our asses off just to get them out of there quicker. We finished up on the last stage at the speed shoot at dusk.   I was real close to just going home cause it seems like every time I come up to Conyers to shoot, something gets screwed up..

Edited by xd1977

Earlier in this thread, I made a comment about not expecting a great deal out of this match. I shot it on Friday and I must say that that I was quite pleasantly surprised by the final product. I thought the stages were a solid mix of tests and offered plenty of options on how the shooter wanted to attack them; it was not just a run-n-gun hosefest at all. Some of the steel arrays were quite interesting and I saw them shot at least a half a dozen different ways just in our squad of 8-9 shooters.  I didn't consider the complete lack of "movers/activators" while I was shooting, but it did click later after I had finished shooting. I think that the longer targets and creative application of hard cover and no-shoots and vision barriers kept things plenty challenging.

We were a bit late starting on Friday as well due to some issues with getting folk to the range related to a wreck. Even starting an hour or so late and missing some RO's, we managed to get through all 9 stages before 3PM. all the stages were fairly simple to reset and RO. Rob and crew had everything pretty well proofed even before the Friday shoot, so there were not any stage-design related delays that I heard of. Ken did a great job as RM when I had to interact with him. Eric and Paul and the local match team did a solid job in my opinion. Seemed like everyone was finished up at a decent time on Sunday evening.

The big thing that I noted in the final standings was that some of these CO shooters are smokin' fast! Those 140mm mags seem to be keeping them solidly in the mix at the top o' the heap. I didn't expect it to be as strong as it is in the Overall standings...which of course mean absolutely nothing... 

Edited by wgj3