Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handguard and Adjustable Gas Block Recommendations

JohnnyD

I am working on slowly putting together a new upper for 3gun next year.  This will be my first upper build, have already built a lower.  I mainly shoot smaller bay matches with only a handful of shots out to 200.  I might try Rockcastle or another big match in 2019 but we'll see.  Still going back and forth between a 16" Mid or 17.7"/18" Rifle Length.  Primarily looking at Ballistic Advantage barrels.

Anyways I am trying to find a clamp on style adjustable gas block (for easier installation and to make it more rugged) and need a 13"/15" handguard suggestion that will pair up well.  I know a lot of the lower profile handguards have clearance issues.  I am not looking to spend a fortune but am looking for quality parts at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Edited by JohnnyD

I am looking for a slim handguard that is 15" long (would settle for a 13" if it was a great deal).

I don't really need any mounting devices as I will be running it bare.

Right now my rifle has one of the PSA Free Float rails you get on the barreled uppers on it, I like the size of it but wouldn't be opposed to something slightly larger.  I can measure if needed.

Those do look pretty nice.  The V1 looks to be the ticket.

I like the price of the VO-E but I'm guessing it wouldn't allow the barrel to cool as fast as the other model.  Might keep that in mind for a hunting build though.

I was also looking at the Nordic 15" tube sytle rail but noticed it's about 5oz heavier.

4 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Those do look pretty nice.  The V1 looks to be the ticket.

I like the price of the VO-E but I'm guessing it wouldn't allow the barrel to cool as fast as the other model.  Might keep that in mind for a hunting build though.

I was also looking at the Nordic 15" tube sytle rail but noticed it's about 5oz heavier.

It would help if you have a budget. Otherwise SLR rails will be the lightest but also priciest.

I am looking around $150 for the rail $100 on the gas block.

I am willing to be a lil bit flexible but a $250 rail is out of the question.

Obviously if I can cut from other spots I could free up funds.  I haven't set a budget per say for the entire build but I have some ball parks in areas I am looking to spend.

I think you're pretty much left with the ALG with that budget. $100 gas block gets you pretty much any gas block though they all cost approximately the same. SLR and Superlative Arms were the two I was looking at, and I went with SLR because I got an SLR handguard + 15% discount. I haven't shot it yet, but I'd be surprised if I have any problems.

You could take a look at the Midwest Industries Lightweight Handguard which will fit your budget when it goes on sale! The only thing I didn't like about it is how it uses an adhesive as a secondary factor in securing the handguard to the receiver.

Here is my build:

x2s8rog.png

Edited by SlvrDragon50

Look @ the Odin works adj. Glass blocks. For just a sorta lightweight inexpensive vanguard the 15" UTG is pretty bargain priced. Midwest

Industries make a decent rail although not as inexpensive. Stay away from anything gun show unless you know what you are looking at. I repaire 4-5 gun show builds a week mostly due to bad gas blocks.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:53 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

I think you're pretty much left with the ALG with that budget. $100 gas block gets you pretty much any gas block though they all cost approximately the same. SLR and Superlative Arms were the two I was looking at, and I went with SLR because I got an SLR handguard + 15% discount. I haven't shot it yet, but I'd be surprised if I have any problems.

You could take a look at the Midwest Industries Lightweight Handguard which will fit your budget when it goes on sale! The only thing I didn't like about it is how it uses an adhesive as a secondary factor in securing the handguard to the receiver.

Here is my build:

x2s8rog.png

I like that spreadsheet, much nicer than a typical workbook that is simply the costs.  I’m also jealous at your $15 FFL, I’m happy I know a $25 shop, most around here are $50, if they’re even willing to do it!

Haha. My friend was sick of my spreadsheet so he made that for me. My spreadsheet only had item, vendor, cost, and purchase status.

Yea, the FFL is awesome. He's holding two FFL items for me for several months without additional charges. I would say the average FFL is $20-25 but some do go up to $40-50.

Aero precision makes a nice hand guard well within your budget. You can get good deals at granite ridge outfitters on them as well as upper/ hand guard combos and also on ballistic advantage barrels. The aero hand guards work well with superlative gas blocks.

Haha. My friend was sick of my spreadsheet so he made that for me. My spreadsheet only had item, vendor, cost, and purchase status.

Yea, the FFL is awesome. He's holding two FFL items for me for several months without additional charges. I would say the average FFL is $20-25 but some do go up to $40-50.

I also really like that spreadsheet. Would you be opposed to sharing ?

• 1 month later...

Just a thought if this is going to be a set and forget gas block setup, is it even worth buying an expensive gas block that will just freeze up over time. You could get something like the Odin Works or Seekins for $50 and spend the extra $50 towards a better hand guard. In the $150 range you can get a really nice hand guard on sale. Primary Arms always has Midwest Industries Gen 3 and Odin Works 02 Lites for around that price. These gas blocks are even cheaper and have great reviews. I personally haven’t tried one but will be soon, once I figure out which barrel I’m going to buy. http://www.wojtekweaponry.com/ar-parts/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a drop or two of kroil on the adjustment screw of my adjustable gas blocks, any time I put a significant number of rounds down range, before I put it back in the safe.

Then I do it again on a rainy day, let it sit for an hour or two, and run the set screw in and then back out into position.

I have the JP Syrac which have click detents so I can always go back to the same setting.  Unfortunately they are no longer available.

One is on a 3-gun build and the other is a suppressor host, so adjustable gas was important to me.  

IMHO adjustable gas is a nice feature especially if you plan to go with a lightweight carrier.

I am a big fan of the Armalite handguards that they introduced a few years ago.  I doubt they are the lightest but they are rock solid and I am a big fan of how they attach to the barrel nut, and of how beefy and overbuilt the anti-rotation tabs are.  I have seen anti-rotation tabs broken off of some other brands.

The clamping force on the barrel nut is more than sufficient to prevent movement, but I like redundancy.  

I also like how the cross bolts thread into a steel nut that is recessed in the aluminum handguards.  Very difficult to strip, but if you manage to do so, you go to the hardware store and pick up a replacement nut for $.05.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/armalite-m-15-3-gun-handguard-kit-15-inch-black-153gnhgd15.html

JP makes great stuff, if I am in the market for a new adustable gas block it will probably be this one:

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-9D

Both of those are within your stated budget.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp
fixing link

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have read Seekins and Odin Works gas blocks are great for the money. I’m almost done buying everything needed for a new upper and will report back on the cheap gas block I bought above in previous post. If it doesn’t work out will be buying a Seekins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 12:56 PM, Vespid_Wasp said:

I have the JP Syrac which have click detents so I can always go back to the same setting.  Unfortunately they are no longer available.

JP makes great stuff, if I am in the market for a new adustable gas block it will probably be this one:

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-9D

The Syrac gas blocks are not available from JP by name, but the one you cited seems to have the same detent adjustable feature.

• 2 months later...