Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading, suggestions for bullets?

vnboileau

Coated bullets. Definitely the way to go. I prefer Blue Bullets, Bayou, or Black Bullets International.

Load them up over WST or Titegroup (pinch smoky but works) or a similar powder, and you’re good to go.

Order bullets in 3,000ish unit cases and powder by the 8lb jug (I buy 2-3 at a time actually) and primers by the sleeve of 5,000 (or two) and you have plenty of components onhand!

For coated bullets you have a wide variable of options. I prefer ACME personally, but nothing wrong with the others. There is Blue Bullets, Bayou, Black Bullets International, SNS Casting, Eggleston Munitions, ACME, and a couple others. Blue Bullets, SNS Casting, and Black Bullets International seem the most popular. Coated are the cheapest besides lead.

For jacketed bullets, Montana Gold and Zero seem to be the most popular. I think Precision Delta and Xtreme Bullets have this type as well. I like Montana Gold bullets.

For plated bullets, Berrys and Xtreme bullets seem to be the most popular. I haven't tried any of these.

• 1 month later...

I've settled on Xtreme bullets for my 9 mm loads.   I use the 147's for GSSF.  They run a lot of sales; get on their mailing list, and wait for the bullet you want to come up at a discount.    5% off happens a lot, 10% off a few times a year.  They sell 3000 bullet bulk packs, too, which drops cost a bit more.

I have standardized on the Rocky Mountain Reloading 124gr. MPR JHPs (MPR = "Multi-Purpose Rounds", they are really just jacketed hollow points). I like them because they are jacketed rather than plated and because RMR is so great to deal with. They always have free shipping, and I usually get my bullets within 2 days after ordering. If you sign up to their mailing list, they usually send out 5 -10% specials all the time. Best customer service from any of the companies I have dealt with.

I also use Xtreme plated for a few choices, and I love the Bayou plated SWC's that I have been working with for my .45. Good stuff!

I have also used Berry's in the past without issues, but have not ordered from them in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

I think most of the bullets around have some dedicated followers. I am certain that there are folks here that will support almost all of the bullets at one time or another.  My personal preference is for ACME bullets. Good quality bullets. They support the disciplines. They support THIS forum. AND, they offer a discount for forum members. (There is a code for the discount... It gets you an additional 10% off if you are a forum member..).

My second choice is probably Blue Bullets. They are close in price to ACME and their bullets look good and shoot good too.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been using 124gr 9mm Bayou Bullets over N320 (recommended to me by a stranger lol) and Im digging it. Havent experimented outside of this yet as Im fairly new to reloading. Will probably try 147 in the near future and maybe some other powders like Titegroup!

12 hours ago, koteris said:

I'm another 124gr 9mm Bayou Bullets person.  I can load them pretty long and the people at Bayou have always been great.  I use WSF with them.

I liked the 135 gr myself when I used Bayou.  they are also great and have fast shipping