Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building My Own Open Gun

Honkeymcgee

I chambered it using a piece of starline brass, that was one of my initial thoughts but took it to a friend who is a smith for reassurance and he agreed headspace was fine. 

I am hoping the firing pin fixes the problem, I put my CK extended pin in and it did not. Will see soon. 

Load is 8.0grs of N350 with a 124PD

It's shooting about 175 PF right now. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

I think I measured and the CK and hyper drive firing pins were the same length. Have you marked up the hammer and verified the hit?

Yup. I'm kinda hoping I just had a bad mainspring and that the new ones will fix it. The hyper drive was just added assurance

13 minutes ago, sarpau said:

What kind of endmill/cutter did you use for the slide cuts?

I prefer that vs a ball cut for a tri topped slide.

I think it looks good so far.

well done

1/8" carbide end mill

Did .020" deep on the side of the slide and down to the flat top for the deeper parts. 

3 hours ago, sarpau said:

Sorry, I meant the "Butler cut" type stirrup cuts.

I'm starting to look at different cutters to try and match SVI butler cut appearance and angles. 

I'm sure I'm overthinking it.

What are you referring to when you say Butler cut?  Not familiar with that.

2 hours ago, Broncman said:

I have an assortment of radius end Mills as well as the full ball end Mills. I try to stay away from a cut that leaves a square inside edge or root. This creates stress risers and an area more prone to cracking than an area with a radius.

Basic law in materials strength theory for extending metal life under impact and  pressure.;)

3 hours ago, Honkeymcgee said:

What are you referring to when you say Butler cut?  Not familiar with that.

I'm referring to the front/bottom of the slide, where it transitions from comp to slide to frame.

Most guns out there, they use a ball end mill and the cut is round, yours is a flat transition from comp to slide

I'm referring to the cut you made in the picture below:

On 12/27/2017 at 8:54 PM, Honkeymcgee said:

Also took some material off the comp and transitioned it into the the slide. 

20171226_194654-2268x3024.jpg

Sorry to cut in. But this is one of the best threads I've read all year.  The project is very informative (to me) and the gun is evolving into something quite beautiful.

Keep up the excellent work. Looking good, very good.

Edited by frgood

6 hours ago, sarpau said:

I'm referring to the front/bottom of the slide, where it transitions from comp to slide to frame.

Most guns out there, they use a ball end mill and the cut is round, yours is a flat transition from comp to slide

I'm referring to the cut you made in the picture below:

Ok I thought that might be what you were referring to. I used a 3/8" end mill with the slide in the jig at a 45.

I was actually going to leave a little step from the comp to the slide to avoid the small undercut in the reverse plug area but the machine I'm using does not have DROs so every now and then I take a cut a little more than I planned. 

My original plan was to get the comp with no cut at all on the bottom so I could make that cut whatever size it needed to be for a perfect transition but it wouldn't be worth it for them to make me just one comp and leave those cuts off when they have stock laying around waiting to be sold. 

Thanks.

I figured I was overthinking it. 

I know what you mean about cutting more than planned. Design changes on the fly!

I don't have the DRO installed on mine yet. Its siting beside the mill at the moment.

My first build was more of a challenge to see if I could actually make something that works rather than make it pretty.

Learned quite a bit.

After the first 500ish rounds, pretty much had the bugs worked out and has been running well all year.

Have about 4000 rounds through it now.

This is a picture of mine when it was in progress. 5a465bba79a58_2017-03-0500_49_18.thumb.jpg.0bf927cc1783c56e8f7dbd03427f3ee3.jpg

Very nice Sarpau! When I was working on my last slide, I had everything laid out, one side done, reset and in the jig for the other side. I keep the shop doors shut and phone turned off to concentrate on layout etc.

Was finishing up the last few cuts and wife came in, sat down and started talking.....got distracted and turned the handle the wrong way on a cut...I simply turned the machine off, turned off the light over the mill. She knew what happened. Three days later a new slide showed up! She no longer comes to chat when the door is closed.

Well got her all finished up today for the most part. Little fit and finish to do here and there as well as order a new mount for the Romeo 3. 

Still waiting on my new firing pin(USPS sucks as usual lol), so I can't go shoot the match tomorrow. 

20171230_180527-3024x2268.jpg

Edited by Honkeymcgee

On 12/22/2017 at 6:52 PM, Broncman said:

Angles are easy! Get on Amazon and for 39 bucks get a set of angle plates. They come in a set from 1 degree on up. Then take a universal indicator attached to the quil/spindle and you can indicate your vise in any angle you want. Just use the surface of the angle plate clamped in your vise to get the right angles on the vise. 

You can also use the angle plates to set the angle of your slide or jig in your mill vise.

Will take a pic tomorrow and show how I did it.

Would like to learn more about this if you have time to post pictures 

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out my 19lb mainspring that came with my fire control was actually a 17lb. 

That and the Dawson hyperdrive seemed took care of the primers strikes.

Shot my first match the other day with it and had a few hangups on the first stage. Ran fine after that but the slide was sluggish. 

Got a couple areas cleaned up that I think we're causing it and I'll be shooting another match this weekend hopefully. 

Got the Romeo 3 mount and a new slide racker in and installed today. Can't wait for the weekend!

20180102_183745.jpg

20180105_185800-2016x1512.jpg

Well I took her out for another match today and had much better results.  The pistol anyway, not myself :lol:

One thing I had forgotten to fix before the match was my slide stop catching even my mags with the followers cut so they wouldn't lock back.  Well it got me when I knew I had taken some makeup shots and knew I had exactly 6 shots left, well it turned to 5 when the slide locked back hahaha.  Jumped the gun on a few pieces of steel today as well.  Completely forgot to go to the range after putting the new mount on so I shot the first stage with my CK and then checked zero as we left to the next stage.  It was pretty close so I ran with that, but as you can see on the steel, its a little off to the right.  Was took anxious to shoot and forgot the important stuff haha.  You will see it in the videos.

Had one malfunction which I am not exactly sure what the cause was.  From what I can tell it was some kind of extraction issue.  Will have to see if this occurs again and either tune the extractor or replace it.

Here's the lockback that I mentioned, I believe I couldn't get it to feed because the slide stop had the follower pushed down so far it messed up the feed angle.

And here we have an unnecessary reload because I made too many makeups and thought I was going to run out at the last second.  My brain was not there today haha.

Awesome! Got a match coming up next weekend and I am really torn between my new Open and PCC . Have not shot either in a comp yet. 

Just got my new mags this week for my open pistol. 

What mags are you using?

Are you going to eliminate the mag catch on the slide stop?

Edited by Broncman