Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building My Own Open Gun

Honkeymcgee

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a little more work done and took it out for a test fire today. 

Comp is on and timed, tritop is done, and dust cover is cut back. 

Ran into some light primer strikes and feeding issues during the test run. 

Not sure what caused the feeding problems as all my dummy rounds were cycling fine. 

Smoothed up some areas that may have been problematic so hopefully that issue is fixed. 

Have not been able diagnose the firing pin issue yet. With the barrel out, holding the slide in place and watching the firing pin hole I can see that some trigger pulls result in a good strike of the firing pin while others I can't see the firing pin pop out at all.

I can't detect that the hammer is slowing down at all and with the firing pin spring out the firing pin falls freely so I am really at a los on this at the moment. 

Any way, here's a few pics and videos. 

20171221_230449-2268x3024.jpg

Edited by Honkeymcgee

Well I think I got it narrowed down a heavy duty firing pin spring that I ordered not thinking about it. 

Cut a few coils off and it improved the failure rate but still had some. 

I cut a few more off today and will check again tomorrow. 

Hangups I figured out today we're from the reverse plug contacting the comp on the way back into battery. Put a chamfer on the reverse plug so that should be taken care of as well. 

Will update after a range session tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Honkeymcgee said:

KKM Commander length. I believe it was 4.5" to the end of the threads. 

10-4, the more I looked the shorter I saw it.  So it's about a 4.25" gun.  Very good.

Did you start with commander length slide?

Edited by theWacoKid

31 minutes ago, Broncman said:

Glad you got it figured out! I used a ball end mill and clearances the bottom of my comp similar to how an STI DVC is. Basically a round Grove for the reverse plug. I also chamfered the plug as well.

The comp had that but I had to extend it farther and it was already thin where it came clearanced from Atlas so I turned down the part that is exposed a little bit in the lathe to clearance it.

9 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

Good deal.  So with the KKM commander I think you're at the 4.1" shorty size.  I like it.  Now get to hacking some material off that slide!

I have to figure out how I'm going to do my slide cuts because the mill I have been using doesn't have a swivel base that I can set an angle on easily

52 minutes ago, Honkeymcgee said:

I have to figure out how I'm going to do my slide cuts because the mill I have been using doesn't have a swivel base that I can set an angle on easily

Just unbolt the vise, set it at your angle, then clamp with hold downs.  Basically all I do for rotating around the z-axis.  For cuts angled about the x and y axis I mostly use tapered end mills.

I also see you have the slide jig.  For my rear swoop cut I just used that to hold the slide at 90 degrees and side milled it with a large diameter cutter.

Edited by theWacoKid

Angles are easy! Get on Amazon and for 39 bucks get a set of angle plates. They come in a set from 1 degree on up. Then take a universal indicator attached to the quil/spindle and you can indicate your vise in any angle you want. Just use the surface of the angle plate clamped in your vise to get the right angles on the vise. 

You can also use the angle plates to set the angle of your slide or jig in your mill vise.

Will take a pic tomorrow and show how I did it.

Edited by Broncman

Well the firing pin issue is not solved yet. 

Today I ordered a couple more mainsprings, a Dawson hyperdrive firing pin, and a new firing pin spring.  Will see if any of that helps. 

Here is a pic of what primers are looking like currently. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

20171223_082710-2268x3024.jpg