Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building My Own Open Gun

Honkeymcgee

Well I've been thinking about doing this for a good while and finally ordered the first tools yesterday.  Started looking once(before I shot a 2011 platform), got overwhelmed and back burnered the idea. Now that I am shooting a 2011 and understand how they work better I'm ready to tackle it. 

I'd like to start this thread for a couple reasons. One is to go over the ideas I have and seek any advice some of you more experienced guys may have. Second is to progress it as I go to maybe give some other guys that are thinking about it, an idea of what they would be getting into. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start with a list of parts/tools I am going with. 

As far as tools go I am ordering 90% from Brownells and just one or two parts from Matrix Precision. 

-Brownells Barrel Alignment Block

-Brownells Seat Cutter/Barrel Holder Tool(I didn't get the whole kit because it does seem like you really need to little lever or the bigger cutter in most cases)

-Brownells Locking Lug File

-Trigger Track Stone(Brownells brand I think)

-Ed Brown Sear Jig

-Needle File Set

-Slide Jig

From Matrix Precision I will be getting:

-Rail stoning jig

-Slide Measuring Tool

-A Few Various Stones(they we're much cheaper here than Brownells)

Edited by Honkeymcgee

For parts I should be getting everything in three orders. Phoenix Trinity, SVI, and Shooters Connection. 

From Phoenix Trinity:

-Grip, Safety, Frame, Slide Combo(this will be there first order.  Just have to pick a custom serial # and send it in)

From SVI: 

-SVI Triglide Ignition Kit

-SVI Strut

-SVI Trigger With Insert

-SVI Grip Screws

-SVI Optic Mount

-From Shooters Connection:

-Cheeley Titanium Comp

-Dawnson ICE Magwell

-Brazos Zigracker

-All other small parts will be a combination of EGW, CK, and ISMI for the most part. 

-Barrel will be KKM if I order online or possibly Schuemann at a killer deal from a local source. 

Edited by Honkeymcgee

I have been watching all the videos I can stand to watch on doing the same fit ups by different people or in slightly different ways, on the main things like barrel fitup and slide fit up. 

Plan is to get the slide,frame,grip,safety combo and start off using the measuring tool to check the width inside the slide. 

Measure the rails and take the appropriate amount off each side, slowly and measuring frequently.

I see a lot of people do the lapping method but I'd like to avoid it if possible. Just my personal preference. 

Next I'll make sure the grip fits up perfect to the frame before messing with anything else as I may still be waiting to clear funds up for the next parts order. 

It will be about a month before I get the order from Phoenix Trinity once it is placed so any insight beforehand would be greatly appreciated. 

I like to hear about other hobbyist builders like myself, it's exciting but also somewhat overwhelming especially starting with an open gun which is certainly more work.  You are correct by watching videos and reading articles especially if you are self taught as I was and be prepared for some road blocks ahead.  I hope your a patient person, because you need to take your time in All aspects of the build. If your not sure on something STOP rethink what your doing and rewatch a video, read again and seek advice.  Don't be afraid to ask the professionals via e-mail on their opinions, I was surprised at how fast they answered some of my questions, but don't expect a three page detailed " how to " either.  Also, these forums are a great source of info with lots of experienced people who love to share knowledge.  And, you will most likely buy more tools along the way, the right tools for the job is key ( including a milling machine ) for open gun slide work, etc., but you can buy slides already cut ( Brazos ) if your not ready for milling.  Good luck, have fun with the build and don't let frustration stop you.

Good luck with the build David.  It will be fun.

Probably the highest risk operations will be fitting the slide to frame and the barrel fit.  Be especially patient with fitting the barrel.  There's a lot going on with how the barrel interacts with the slide when fitting the upper lugs.  It's easy to keep filing away trying to get more lug engagement when the barrel may be springing at the front.  Having someone local to you that's done a few barrel fittings is extremely helpful.  Fitting the lower lugs is more straightforward, but requires patience to get a solid lock-up on the slide stop pin.  Laying out and drilling/tapping the holes for the scope mount also needs to be approached with care.  Make sure you center punch the locations and use a short bit or small end mill to get the hole started so it doesn't walk on you.

ICouple DIY suggestion on barrel fitting. The EGW gage will get you the measurement from the breech face to the first lug, but you still need to measure to the second lug face.

My last barrel needed the front lug set back a few thousandths to get engagement with both lugs. I did not sweat the third lug.

Get a peice of the metal strapping band used to strap things to pallets etc. 

With a little patience you can hand file or mill your own gage to fit your slide. You can make a gage for each lug. Then use this to fit your Barrel. 

Map out your slide and compare it to your barrel lugs before you cut the hood length.

Make sense? Otherwise you could end up with great hood to first lug fit and no engagement on the second lug vertical surfaces.

Edited by Broncman

Glad to see all the positive feedback. 

I did forget to mention I should have access to a mill for doing the slide cuts.

I do have ole Benny Hill here locally but he wants me to let him fit the barrel and slide more than give me advice haha. I'm sure if I get in a bind I can swing by for some help though.  Also have contact with another former STI Smith that is very well versed.  

That advice on the lugs is well noted. 

The videos I have been watching a lot of btw are from mosinvirus mainly on YouTube and then some others here and there. 

Mosinvirus, haha, I've watched all his videos and he is very talented hobbyist.  In one video he cut a frame for the CP barrel lug using a " dremel " tool and files and I was thinking no way in hell, he's going to ruin that frame, but he did it and a great fit too.  Definitely some talented folks out there.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while. 

Slide, frame, grip, and safeties finally came in. 

Took a good while doing it all with stones but the fit came out nice and tight.

The grip to the frame really didn't require any work but for good measure I hit all the edges with a stones to remove any burs. It does take a soft mallet to tap it all the way in currently but I think it will loosen up over time like the one on my current gun did. 

Did have to file a little inside the holes for the safety's. They were extremely tight which was the not the case at all with my first PT grip and Safety combo.

Edited by Honkeymcgee

Trigger bow and screws from SVI came in today so I took some time filing on the grip to get the trigger fitting nice and free. 

Apparently all the rest of my parts came in a day early but the post office never leave packages on my doorstep. Doh!

Pic of them pretty SVI screws. 

20171214_211921-2268x3024.jpg

Well I got quite a bit done since the last post and kinda forgot to take some pics along the way. 

I have for the barrel fit up, trigger group polished up and installed, safeties fit, chamber cut, extractor/ejector installed and tuned, and cut the grip to accept the SVI mag button. 

Here's a couple of pics and some video of the ejection. 

20171219_223446-2268x3024.jpg