Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walnut media grit large or fine?

IGOTGLOCKED

I like the larger media.  It leaves less residue on the cases and in my opinion it polishes the cases better but if you are into depriming before tumbling you will end up with it getting caught in the primer pocket.  I also like the larger corn cob media, whatever is on sale.  I did try the lizard litter since I could find it locally but that is too fine and I used it quickly to get rid of it.  

I still use petco-sourced lizard bedding (finely crushed walnuts) and I’m entirely happy with the stuff.

A couple of used dryer sheets tossed into ever load in the tumbler keep the dust from really even being noticeable.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

been there-done that.  I now use nothing but whole grain white rice treated with a couple of drops of Dillon Case Polish.  Brass comes out squeaky clean and there is no dust.  The rice seems to last forever.

I use a 50/50 combo of fine grain walnut and corn. I do not deprime to avoid media from entering the primer pocket. With a little care you can avoid the dredded "dust" and the cases come out shinny clean after about 1 hour of tumbling. I do not use any other additive to the media. The interior of the cases do not get cleaned as in wet tumbling but even after 10 reloadings I have not had one instance of trouble.

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I still use petco-sourced lizard bedding (finely crushed walnuts) and I’m entirely happy with the stuff.

A couple of used dryer sheets tossed into ever load in the tumbler keep the dust from really even being noticeable.

Thanks Memphis, never had any dust issues with anything except some WM corn cob...

Cheers!

13 hours ago, zzt said:

been there-done that.  I now use nothing but whole grain white rice treated with a couple of drops of Dillon Case Polish.  Brass comes out squeaky clean and there is no dust.  The rice seems to last forever.

Now that is interesting! About how many rounds do you get from a batch until you have to change it?

I found out about white rice from a poster on these forums.  He tried all the usual media and reported on how many cases it cleaned.  The rice won by a mile.  I am still using the first batch I put in, so I don't yet know how long it will last.  All I can say is it is black, but not breaking down.  It still cleans like when it was first put in, and it still generates no dust.  I've been using it for 6 months and run somewhere between 3000 and 4000 45 and 40 cases through it.  I never got anywhere near that with corncob or walnut.  The rice makes the case shinier than either coarse or fine walnut does, but not quite as shiny as brand new corn cob media.

Try some.  It's cheap.  I paid $8 for a big bag of it from Amazon (Nigiri brand).  I have about 2/3 left.

I tried rice as well. Didn’t cut it for my standards. Fresh walnut cleans much faster, but as zzt says,  brass doesn’t shine as well with rice compared to corn cob. I just like clean shiny brass though.

I cleaned about 15,000 rounds with my last batch of corn/walnut before I changed it this morning. Don't know how that compares to others? I still have my first cleaner (an FA) so I   think I'll try an experiment with it using rice just to see...

I like 'em shiny too Sarge. Shiny is clean and clean is smooth...

Cheers!

23 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

MM - Just think of all those poor lizards you are depriving of a bed.  LOL!!!!  :P :roflol:

Good idea with the dryer sheet though.  I'll have to remember that when I finally get a darn tumbler and media to clean brass in.  :-D 

7 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

MM - Just think of all those poor lizards you are depriving of a bed.  LOL!!!!  :P :roflol:

Good idea with the dryer sheet though.  I'll have to remember that when I finally get a darn tumbler and media to clean brass in.  :-D 

I've seen reloading set ups in what was the hall/coat closet, anything to start...

3 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

In other words...like my portable bench I bought and work off of.  LOL

reloading_table_with_press.jpg

Bingo! And you can clean on your front or back porch even if not covered in good weather. Perhaps even your attic?