Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Satisfaction Of A Well Built Reloading Bench!

IGOTGLOCKED

Prior to relocating I was multi-tasking on my shop bench downstairs also using it as my reloading bench. It was built pretty well by the previous owner of the home however I bolted it to the floor and walls as per the recommendation of "Memphis" and saw a positive reduction of my oal variance.

We since found some acreage on a hill beside a golf course (yes!) and built a house which allowed me to build my reloading & gun room in a section of the basement of the design I felt would work best for me as a result of the couple of years I have been reloading. My shop is now separated by a door but still adjoining my reloading & gun room. As many here know it seems I did inherit some "attention to the details" (ocd) genes ( right Sarge?) and was trained as an engineer in a previous life. Consequently my belief is overbuilding = no worries...

I took my time and it turned out quite well. I still have the floor & walls to finish however certainly the bench is as solid as a rock!  I built it directly to the existing framing with significant additional reinforcement and secured to the floor. I had a separate  hvac & dehumidifier installed in the basement to eliminate any temp & moisture concerns.

Finally I was at a point of completion to run my 650 and see the results. It is now running smoother than I've ever felt it run! And my coal variance (I do sort by head stamp) for the great majority of the run were within  .002. less than a handful were .003 variance and a bunch of them were spot on with each other. This is better than my previous oal by +/- .002. I believe Dillon says if oal is within a .016 variance it's okay.

I am quite pleased with these results and want to encourage those out there who are determined to reduce coal variance  that it can be done!

Cheers from IGG!

:cheers:

Prior to relocating I was multi-tasking on my shop bench downstairs also using it as my reloading bench. It was built pretty well by the previous owner of the home however I bolted it to the floor and walls as per the recommendation of "Memphis" and saw a positive reduction of my oal variance.

We since found some acreage on a hill beside a golf course (yes!) and built a house which allowed me to build my reloading & gun room in a section of the basement of the design I felt would work best for me as a result of the couple of years I have been reloading. My shop is now separated by a door but still adjoining my reloading & gun room. As many here know it seems I did inherit some "attention to the details" (ocd) genes ( right Sarge?) and was trained as an engineer in a previous life. Consequently my belief is overbuilding = no worries...

I took my time and it turned out quite well. I still have the floor & walls to finish however certainly the bench is as solid as a rock!  I built it directly to the existing framing with significant additional reinforcement and secured to the floor. I had a separate  hvac & dehumidifier installed in the basement to eliminate any temp & moisture concerns.

Finally I was at a point of completion to run my 650 and see the results. It is now running smoother than I've ever felt it run! And my coal variance (I do sort by head stamp) for the great majority of the run were within  .002. less than a handful were .003 variance and a bunch of them were spot on with each other. This is better than my previous oal by +/- .002. I believe Dillon says if oal is within a .016 variance it's okay.

I am quite pleased with these results and want to encourage those out there who are determined to reduce coal variance  that it can be done!

Cheers from IGG!
:cheers:

Dont leave us hanging buddy. Post them pictures!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, insicnarf said:

Dont leave us hanging buddy. Post them pictures!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried brother, it says the file is too large and I'm not sure how to reduce it. I'll keep working on it...

:(

Just now, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I tried brother, it says the file is too large and I'm not sure how to reduce it. I'll keep working on it...

:(

You can open it in paint and use the resize feature.  Or you can upload it to a photo sharing site, like imgur, then just paste the link in your reply.

19 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

You can open it in paint and use the resize feature.  Or you can upload it to a photo sharing site, like imgur, then just paste the link in your reply.

Thanks TJ1618!

I am NOT a carpenter, it is however solid as a freaking rock! Please let me know if able to open.

https://imgur.com/a/9V5qt

Cheers!

Tenn, what a great idea! Build the reloading room first, then finish the house later... Much too neat for me, I like stuff all over the place.

All from scrap

image37741.jpg

Edited by 9x45

32 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Tenn, what a great idea! Build the reloading room first, then finish the house later... Much too neat for me, I like stuff all over the place.

All from scrap

image37741.jpg

It's all about priorities brother! :roflol:

1 hour ago, TennJeep1618 said:

That worked.  You can also paste the direct link (right click on the image, then copy image address) into your reply and it will show up in the forum.  Like so:

IVLJbkt.jpg

Thanks again TJ, just tried it and it worked. Much appreciated!

On 10/9/2017 at 11:50 AM, TennJeep1618 said:

That worked.  You can also paste the direct link (right click on the image, then copy image address) into your reply and it will show up in the forum.  Like so:

IVLJbkt.jpg

Outfrickin' standing!  :) 

On 10/9/2017 at 12:03 PM, 9x45 said:

All from scrap

image37741.jpg

My....O...C...D.......

Uhhh...errrr.....cannnn....nooottt....loook...away.  LOL!  :roflol:

Muuuussssttttt oooorrrrrgannnnniiiizzzzeeeeeeee....

Edited by R1_Demon

51 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Thx, not pretty but it works!

IGG - I don't know about not pretty.  I think it looks pretty darn good.  I like the dark wood and it looks very well put together.  I don't want to say it looks "pretty", but I personally think it looks pretty darn good with the dark stained wood and such instead of the normal plywood you normally see.  That's one of the things that really caught my eye about it.  It really looks like a piece of furniture rather than just a utility type bench.  :)  Plus, I'm truly envious because I don't have a separate room or garage to be able to even have a darn bench!  So, I'm envious of all of you that get to have an actual bench and especially a spare room/garage to work in!  Gosh I need to frickin' move!!!!!  LOL

Anyway, I think you did a nice darn job with it.

7 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

My....O...C...D.......

Uhhh...errrr.....cannnn....nooottt....loook...away.  LOL!  :roflol:

Muuuussssttttt oooorrrrrgannnnniiiizzzzeeeeeeee....

Oh No, no, no. That's too much like a sparkling clean Glock with new springs, you can't trust it, at all. Has to have at least 6 matches worth of caps, clean the barrel and oil it, of course..

17 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Oh No, no, no. That's too much like a sparkling clean Glock with new springs, you can't trust it, at all. Has to have at least 6 matches worth of caps, clean the barrel and oil it, of course..

:roflol::surprise: