Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trubor - Best Firing Pin Spring?

RaylanGivens

I clean the extractor every time I shoot my STI Trubor Open gun...  A while ago I noticed that the sides of the firing pin spring were wearing, so I replaced it with a Wolfe FP spring that came with a recoil spring...  Didn't think much about it but I started having a small amount (maybe 1 out of 200) light strikes...  When I checked the Wolfe spring with the OEM STI spring, I noticed that the Wolfe FP spring was much longer that the OEM STI spring...  See attached picture.

I'm using a Dawson extended firing pin spring and have never had light strikes with them in my limited guns...  I check the primers after I finish reloading and they all look good.

Is there a preferred firing pin spring for STI Open guns?

Trubor FP Springs800.jpg

The Wolff springs are extra power.  The theory is it will help prevent a 70 series pistol dropped on the muzzle from firing.  I have a dozen or so that came with recoil springs that I will never use.

I prefer ISMI springs for the firing pin, and have gone to them for recoil as well as mag catch and plunger tube springs.  The are quite consistent.

Every body is different with different experience

Never a problem with wolff springs

Been using them for 43 years recoil, fp and mag release

Only time I change FP spring is when FP starts to show signs of drag on the  primer

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Every body is different with different experience

Never a problem with wolff springs

Been using them for 43 years recoil, fp and mag release

Only time I change FP spring is when FP starts to show signs of drag on the  primer

I never thought of that but it makes sense.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:57 AM, zzt said:

The Wolff springs are extra power.  The theory is it will help prevent a 70 series pistol dropped on the muzzle from firing.  I have a dozen or so that came with recoil springs that I will never use.

I prefer ISMI springs for the firing pin, and have gone to them for recoil as well as mag catch and plunger tube springs.  The are quite consistent.

Checked on the ISMI firing pin springs and they all seem to be heavy duty...  Seems like that would make it harder to push the firing pin and would lead to light strikes?

• 2 weeks later...