Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge Factory or Tuned??

drivenagain

Bought a CRP edge from Dawson Precision.   Very happy with it. I drilled and pinned the grip safety, did a trigger job, minor polishing, and tuned to my load.  As close as you can get to custom without actually buying custom.  Great gun for the $.

• 4 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 3:41 PM, ScottHC said:

STI quality problems make it worthwhile buying a pre-tuned gun.  You may save time, and you may save money.  

This. I have not seen a STI that would run right out of the box 

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my CK Arms .40 Limited tuned by Greg Peinie.  I got to shoot it this weekend in a club match, and can't say enough about the outcome.  It runs so well, on an entirely new level.  And keep in mind CK guns come from the factory with a much higher level of quality than STI.   I highly recommend getting the STI tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a number of 1911/2011's, including a DVC, an Akai, an Atlas, and a Brazos Edge.  They all run good and I like them all for their individual characteristics.  But the Brazos Edge is the best bang for the buck.  You wouldn't be disappointed if you got one.

I have a number of 1911/2011's, including a DVC, an Akai, an Atlas, and a Brazos Edge.  They all run good and I like them all for their individual characteristics.  But the Brazos Edge is the best bang for the buck.  You wouldn't be disappointed if you got one.
Which one would you choose out of the four if money didn't determine choice? Why?
How would you compare the Atlas to the Akai?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It would be a tough call.  I'd probably choose the Atlas, which is a single stack.  I may be biased because the single stack fits my hand better.  But I also like the fact that it has no fancy bells or whistles and is just built to be smooth, strong, and accurate.  I think there's more to go right and less to go wrong.  That being said, all of these guns have performed very well for me; maybe I've just been lucky because I do hear horror stories about custom guns.  The Akai has the bells and whistles that the Atlas doesn't.  So I worry a little more about something going wrong.  However, that hasn't been a problem so far, and it handles recoil very nicely.  The wait for the Akai was a lot longer than for the Atlas.  The DVC and Brazos were off the shelf ready of course.

• 1 month later...

I love the DVC line and shoot a DVC Open and DVC Limited however for 9mm for 3 fun I have a CRP Edge with a trigger job and safety pinned and could not be happier nor would I trade it for a DVC as much as I love them 

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, Steppenwolf said:

You can get a stock STI Edge and always have it "tuned." My stock Edge (.40) had a couple of failure to go completely into battery during the first 500 rounds using off-the-shelf ammo (MagTech, Fiocchi, Federal), but that could have been the magazine or just a "break-in" issue. Just tapping the rear of the slide seated the rounds. Other than that, no issues.

The custom guns are much more expensive. Atlas pistols have increased in price. You can find a stock STI Edge for $2000 less than a custom Limited gat. I went with stock because if I decided Limited major was not to my liking I could always sell the gun for minor loss. Jumping into a more expensive pistol and more expensive magazines (MBX, etc.) is something that you can always do later. Start at the base. Next step would be gunsmith tuning. Next step would be sell/trade for a custom pistol.

I've seen a lot of local people buy DVCs or custom guns and have some issues or they quickly soured on the guns because they did not go from C Class to Master immediately. I shoot better than several people with "custom guns."

FWIW I have the STI DVC and had some "tuning" done to it twice.  I ran it a day ago hard at the range and it seems my issues may be gone.  Good ammo is key and tuned magazines.