Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther PPQ Q5 Match - Loads?

saibot

On 5/15/2018 at 11:22 AM, Bobforshak said:

I just completed my hand loads for my Q5.  I tested a number of different powders, Titegroup, 231, unique, power pistol, and wsf.  I was going for the powder with the most consistent FPS.  I tested 135 grain plated flat nose and 147 grain plate round nose bullets with Winchester primers my length is 1.145.  I found that 231 was the most constant with 135 grain ammo.  With 147 grain bullets titegroup was the most consistent.  The most inconsistent powder was WSF by far.  I settled on the titegroup because the 147s felt like they had less recoil.  I'm shooting IDPA and need to make a 125 power factor.  With 2.9 grains of titegroup my FPS was 875 at 75 degrees and 900 at 95 degres.  I'm happy with the accuracy of the load although after reading this forum a may shorten the length a bit.  I did have one double feed after about 800 rounds, my guess is It was a fluke.

Maybe try 1.13 for the Walther.  I used to use my 2011 loads for the q5, which are 1.145 and I would have a few issues every so often.  Wether it was a double feed, or a ftf. But since i went 1.13, haven’t had issues. 

• 6 months later...
On 12/15/2018 at 6:16 PM, sanjiro said:

Thanks for the information. Just ordered my Q5 and this will help out on getting my loads setup with the 147 round nose bullets COL.

Choose your maximum OAL by conducting a plunk and spin test to find the longest you can load your bullets in your particular barrel.

Never choose a length because some guy on the internet, or even some reloading manual, said to do so. Not without testing things yourself, anyway.

(Load up a dummy round and see if it will drop into your gun’s chamber and spin without any drag. If if won’t, you’re engaging the rifling and accuracy or relability may suffer.)

21 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Choose your maximum OAL by conducting a plunk and spin test to find the longest you can load your bullets in your particular barrel.

Never choose a length because some guy on the internet, or even some reloading manual, said to do so. Not without testing things yourself, anyway.

(Load up a dummy round and see if it will drop into your gun’s chamber and spin without any drag. If if won’t, you’re engaging the rifling and accuracy or relability may suffer.)

Thanks for the info. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking at the data here I'm guessing my existing loads (for a 4" m&p) are going to be a bit too hot for the Q5.

3.6gr N320 with Xtreme 147 and 4.2gr N320 with ACME 124gr. Both make 135 PF in the M&P

I'll work up new loads and share the data here

Here's some loads I tested today

3.6gr N320 Xtreme 147gr 1.150" - 136PF
4.2gr N320 ACME 124gr 1.150" - 133PF
4.0gr N320 ACME 124gr 1.150" - 127PF

Have a sample pack of Brazos bullets coming which I'll test in the 4.1-4.2gr range where my ACME will be loaded too

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got out to test my rounds through my Q5. I was f*#king around with my crimp and I had slightly over crimped a few rounds in the batch(I'm a reloading noob). Not sure if that would account for the couple of 1100+ fps rounds. All in all it's a soft shooting round with great accuracy. 

124gn Campro CPRN

3.7gn Titegroup

1.1 OAL

Federal Primers

image.png.b1c0e62848f8ab0faef3e3f30d05625f.png

Edited by darks1d3