Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New PCC with feeding problem......

Just finished my new PCC and took it to the range. Right off the get-go I had a problem with a round sticking about one third of the way in as it was being chambered. A couple of times I was able to close the bolt on the round by tapping the side of the action with the heel of my hand, but it got no better.

Back home I removed the bolt and then removed the extractor. I thought perhaps that it (the extractor) might be too tight. I tried loading the gun with the extractor out and was able to chamber the first one but not the second. At that point I cut one coil off the extractor spring, reinstalled it, and headed for the range. 

With a loaded magazine I slammed the bolt home and fired the gun. The next round stuck, only deeper this time, and the bolt closed after tapping the side of the gun. This went on for a mag, or two, but got better. By the time I was almost out of ammo the new gun was working at about 95%.

Do I just need to shoot the hell out of it? Has anyone else had this same experience?

Thanks, Mike.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Chamber check your ammo in the barrel. PCC barrels have been known to be very short chambered...

Plunked, and rotated my ammo. Appears to be no problems there.

2 minutes ago, goldfish said:

What are the specs. of your PCC?  I had a similar issue and it was the trigger.

What do you mean by specs? The trigger I'm using is the Hiperfire 24-C. It works great.

It's got the Quarter Circle 10 upper/lower for Glock magazines. QC 10 bolt. Taccom barrel with shroud. Taccom 3-D mag well. Hiperfire 24-C trigger. Magpul grip and plunger tube. Ravage lightweight stock. Odin extended mag release. C-More railway optic. Raptor charge bar. TF mag extensions on the big sticks, and Dawson extensions on the small ones.

The buffer is a Blitzkrieg hydraulic, with a JP 308 spring.

Edited by MikieM
12 hours ago, MikieM said:

It's got the Quarter Circle 10 upper/lower for Glock magazines. QC 10 bolt. Taccom barrel with shroud. Taccom 3-D mag well. Hiperfire 24-C trigger. Magpul grip and plunger tube. Ravage lightweight stock. Odin extended mag release. C-More optic. 

The buffer is a Blitzkrieg hydraulic, with a JP 308 spring.

Do you have their ramped barrel or the non-ramped? If non-ramped, try putting some force on the back of the magazine (pushing forward).

I don't think QC is prone to magazine angle issues, but it's easy to test.

Also, are you getting enough crimp on your ammo? Until the barrel is broken in (smoothed out around the edge) your brass might be hanging up on it. I hit mine with some sand paper and my similar issues went away. Also, have you tried multiple mags and are the glock or off-brand? Might have an angle problem 

4 hours ago, nickbfishn said:

Also, are you getting enough crimp on your ammo? Until the barrel is broken in (smoothed out around the edge) your brass might be hanging up on it. I hit mine with some sand paper and my similar issues went away. Also, have you tried multiple mags and are the glock or off-brand? Might have an angle problem 

Crimp is down to .375 inches.

I only have four mags, two are 17 round, and two are 33. All Glocks, with extended base pads. Same problem in all.

I just changed out the mag release (went back to QC 10), no change. Took out the hydraulic buffer and .308 spring and put pack a standard set-up. No change.

I have a Taccom non-ramped barrel. It's supposed to work with all other bolts.  

Below are a couple of pics showing the problem. The mark on the round comes from the jam.

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

34 minutes ago, nickbfishn said:

For shits and grins I would try loading short. I started using UMC factory ammo albecausw it is the shortest I could find and so far through 300 rounds not 1 issue. 

Actually, I tried that the other day. I loaded some to 1.080 inches. No change.

I also tried some factory Fiocchi ammo. No change.

Hello: What does the chamfer look like on the barrel. Here is one that works and feeds 100% with factory around 1.080" and loaded to 1.160" OAL. Also a nice radius on the transition helps it feed also. Not a big radius just enough to take the sharp corner off. The one on the left is perfect. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1043-2.JPG

Edited by Aircooled6racer
1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: What does the chamfer look like on the barrel. Here is one that works and feeds 100% with factory around 1.080" and loaded to 1.160" OAL. Also a nice radius on the transition helps it feed also. Not a big radius just enough to take the sharp corner off. The one on the left is perfect. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1043-2.JPG

My barrel looks just like the one on the left.

29 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

How easily will a round slip up under the extractor (trying at the same angle as in the weapon) with the bolt out ???

I too thought the extractor was the problem in the first place. In our 2011 pistols the round has to cam under the extractor as it moves into the chamber. If the extractor is too tight it will fail to feed similar to the round in the photo. 

To test that notion I removed the extractor from the bolt group, all together, and tried again. The problem remained. To make sure the extractor was not at fault I cut a coil off the spring to weaken the tension. I actually think the bolt closes over the case rim, anyway.

All very frustrating.

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I think the transition from the chamfer to the chamber has a sharper corner there and is causing the problem. It is not feeding over that sharp corner. The only other thing I can think of is that the bolt is short stroking. Thanks, Eric

I kind of think it's the chamber entrance, too. 

The ammo I am loading should be correct as to case size, length, and crimp. I've checked, and double checked against factory ammo.

The parts should work. The upper and lower are new, unblemished QC 10 parts, as is the bolt group. 

At this point I think it's time to try another barrel. Come Monday, if Taccom is open on Columbus Day, I'm going to order a ramped barrel. My QC 10 bolt is cut back at the bottom for the ramp so no problem there.

I'm going to solve this dilemma even if I have to spend every bit of my grand kid's college money to do it. :D