Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Forming Tool For Sv-sti

T.N.T

Are we discussing metal-forming tools, or a mandrel with which to tune the inside dimensions of the mags?

I don't think the mandrel is commercially available, but I'm pretty sure that the leading mag tuners have rolled their own.

The stamping dies run something on the order of $40K+. Unless you're starting your own mag company, there's no money to be saved. Make what you need out of existing tubes.

Use a good grade os S.S., form a right & a left on the mandrell, cut each side on a mill, weld both sides, diamond brade iner & outer seams, set the lips, cut the botton lips for the base plate & squeeze them in a vise untill in spec's. Nothing to it but about $100,000.00 in parts & equipment.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, but I am not wanting to build complete mags. We live miles from anywhere and have been having problems resetting STI and SVI mag lips and tapers. We currently have our own modified block and hammer, but it is not altogether satisfactory. What do you suggest? :o

For the maglips, grind the serrations off a set of pliers and use that to adjust the lips. You may have to relieve some of the head of the pliers so you can adjust one side without bumping the other. After achieving the proper dimensions, polish the inside of the lips with a dremel and felt wheel.

For the overall size - I'm not so succesful..I use a vise with a rubber pad in it, but there HAS to be a better way.

Zach

I use a .5" x .5"x 6" piece of square bar stock that I cut a slot about 3/8" deep in the end of it. I use this to open or reduce the lip demensions of my Para mags. Works well for me. As for the body demensions, I don't mess with that. Have had no need to so far. TXAG