Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange request: 45ACP bear rounds?

Djp55

I'll preface this with "I know it's probably not the right tool for the job". My dad has bear on his property and was looking for something larger than his 9mm shield to help defend himself. He decided a 45 shield was the right move, even with me saying it probably isn't the best move. Fully aware that if engaging one could be avoided, would anyone have recommendations on load data for a round that can be as effective as possible against a bear?  From what I see, JHP is probably not the right move and velocity is king since there is so much fat/tissue. I know there are a small handful of rounds marketed for this purpose but looking for thoughts/advice. 

Thanks

I have a 21SF that I would use for a woods pistol.  Has a ported Storm Lake barrel.

If you are experienced at reloading look around for 460 Rowland loadings and maybe work up to the bottom end of the book loads using your dad's pistol.  That's basically what I did.

I'm using new Starline 45 Super brass, Longshot and 185 grains Barnes Tac-XP.   I stopped at 1295 FPS with about 688 ft/lbs.  About 357 mag territory.   The loading I settled on in my gun still has more room to go.

In my state any method of take on me has to be legal.  So I have to use lead-free and it has to be soft point or a hollow point.  Only thing that fit the bill at the time were the Barnes bullets.    

6 hours ago, Djp55 said:

JHP is probably not the right move and velocity is king since there is so much fat/tissue. 

No practical experience with shooting black bears with a Shield, but I know Elmer Keith

preferred a heavy bullet around 1100 - 1200 fps for big game.

Don't have to actually make a one-shot stop on the bear, just fire couple rounds over his head

and he'll probably run like mad - most bears are only 150 -200 pounds - but TOUGH   :) 

Given your location you must be talking about Black Bears.   45acp would not be my first choice but it will do.  You want hardball ammunition for penetration.  If you can find them 200 gr Hard Cast SWC  would be my first choice followed by 230 gr hardball (FMJ not plated).   If you have time, go for a hip shot to stop a charge, followed by lung or if real close and personal a head shot.  Contrary to what you may read the bear skull is not made of steel.  Turning the electricity off ends the fight pretty much instantly.  Not sure how big your Black Bears are where you live.  Up here they run 325lbs or so mostly.   I carry a 1911 up here loaded with 45-08 cartridges which is a wildcat that is enough for even the largest of bears.  

A short shotgun is a whole lot better with slugs but not nearly as convenient.  Blacks are pretty timid and will avoid you if at all possible.  Making lots of noise to let them know you are around works well.  If on the other hand the bear is old or just hungry Blacks are worse than Grizzlies and won't stop attacking until they are fed.    They do like to protect their children so getting between mom and the kids is not a winning strategy either.

Take Care

Bob

8 hours ago, Djp55 said:

Anyone have a recommendation on the actual projectile, particular brand or anything? Any powder workup?

Heavy and 1100 FPS - you'd have to experiment with various powders/bullets to see what works BEST in YOUR GUN, though   :) 

(I'm surprised the Mod's haven't closed this down - not supposed to be talking about shooting poor defenseless bears    ....    )