Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt action rifle

Bob Hostetter

That does not seem to make much sense to me. You can't get that much more velocity out of an Ackley improved case (maybe 100 fps at the MOST more likely 50) plus you have to fireform (ycch.) If a .260 would not take steel, I doubt a .260 Ackely would.

Terry was using bullets in the 140 grain range . I cant remember which one exactly but you can e-mail him at kmw308@aol.com and ask him . I believe he was having grief at the Rifles Only match and that his comment was more along the lines of that it wasnt taking down the steel as well as he would like .

If you feel the need for a flatter shooting .308 you can always use the 155 grain Matchkings . 3000 fps with a .45 BC and easy to lay your hands on components.

• 1 month later...

In the "PF Required to knock steel" thread, I computed the MOMENTUM (ie, PF) of typical 308 and 260 loads at 1000 yards, assuming 175 @ 2700 for 308 and 140 @ 2900 for 260.

1000 yards, 175SMK = 219.8 PF

1000 yards, 140VLD = 226.1 PF

So the 140gr 260 actually has more momentum at that distance than the 308.

ETA:

In 308, the factory Lapua 155gr (155gr Scenar with an advertised 0.505 BC) shoots just shy of 2900fps from my 24" barrel.

Here's a table I calculated using Exbal at my environmental conditions (Denver altitude) comparing some different calibers/loads:

http://demigod.org/~zak/tmp/ballistics.html

Numbers for elevation and wind drift are at 800 yards. Sort order is best to worst by wind.

-z