Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Handicap?

lgbmike

its only a disadvantage if you believe it is.

the double stack is easier to load though...

With some of the newer magwells that have hit the market, the SS is pretty easy to reload, especially with round nose bullets. On speedshoots, standards, and classifiers, I give up virtually nothing shooting a skinny gun.

I use a SS 45 in L-10 and feel just fine with it. My SV 40 is a backup gun for L-10. I agree with a previous poster about how "fun" it is to use a SS in L-10. But then again I have used a M-1 Garand for a 3 gun match......Never had that much fun at a 3 gun match.

I’ve heard the .45 ACP in Limited is a disadvantage as well, because of the limited mag capacity. I just re-started shooting USPSA using a Para 1445 LTD. I’m not sure if I’m at a disadvantage or not since being out of the game for so long.

Also, I don’t know if there’s a smith that’s prominent on Para’s, so for now it’s a box stock Para. I did add some Dawson mag pads on some mags to help. However, I don’t know of a Master class shooter (which I’m far from) that shoots a Para Hi Cap .45 ACP.

Dan0

its only a disadvantage if you believe it is.

the double stack is easier to load though...

With some of the newer magwells that have hit the market, the SS is pretty easy to reload, especially with round nose bullets. On speedshoots, standards, and classifiers, I give up virtually nothing shooting a skinny gun.

to add, on any legal uspsa stage, shooting the singlestack in limited isnt that bad either...just reload like you shoot L10 or production...most of the time i can shoot a stage at just the same speed shooting L10 as limited.

even on a 18 round course shooting limited, ill do a reload if there is alot of movement between targets...doesnt seeem to hurt me compared to the guys who shoot the same stage w/o the extra load.

suppose you only had one gun and it was a singlestack...i would practice my ass off with it and shoot either limited 10 or limited...as i said your only at a disadvantage if you believe the equipment makes the difference.

im not saying the single stack isthe limited gun, but doug koenig shot his at the nationals in Limited and did fairly well for a Master(anyone else sure if that is exactly right???? i guess it is, but it would seem like a IPSC world champ would be a GM...i guess he is in OPen)

Im dusting off the trusty single stack and am preparing to shoot some L10 with it...Lotsa fun! ;)

I just spent an entire year shooting a single stack. I can state for a fact that in the long haul making all of those reloads puts the single stack Limited shooter at a disadvantage in comparison to a Limited fat gun. Given shooters of equal ability, the single stack will not prevail because every time a a reload is performed the shooter's attention is redirected. The cost in terms of attention will add up in the form of match points one way or another. If that weren't true, shooters who prefer the ergonomics of a single stack would be shooting them in Limited.

I just spent an entire year shooting a single stack. I can state for a fact that in the long haul making all of those reloads puts the single stack Limited shooter at a disadvantage in comparison to a Limited fat gun. Given shooters of equal ability, the single stack will not prevail because every time a a reload is performed the shooter's attention is redirected. The cost in terms of attention will add up in the form of match points one way or another. If that weren't true, shooters who prefer the ergonomics of a single stack would be shooting them in Limited.

Yup... B)

If that weren't true, shooters who prefer the ergonomics of a single stack would be shooting them in Limited.

I don't know Ron.

It might be the thought process is that, "I have an STI, I might as well use it." Or..."I've been using it, I don't want to switch up."

We have a couple of local matches that are run along the lines of Limited 8. Guys can afford various guns...they show up with the top line from Ed Brown's, Wilson's and LB's. They could buy an STI just as easy. They don't. We just don't see many USPSA Limited guns showing up at those matches.

There is no right or wrong answer here...nor can anyone make a blanket statement about which platform is more popular, competitive or favorable.

It's up to the individual to choose what they like best. How it performs in their hands is up to them. ;)

i prefer a .45 to a .40; it just 'feels' better, to me. (could be merely that i'm more familiar with it or have been shooting that particular caliber for so long).

unlike many of you, i prefer to use my para for l-10; it fits my hand better than a single stack and, oddly enough, it's also my choice as a limited gun.

so, making l-10 single stack only? not necessarily a good thing for all of us. ;)

i've got a kimber, but it's always been a little finicky about what it'll reliably feed whereas the para is like a garbage can; it'll shoot anything. :D

I don't know Doug Koenig. I think I may have seen him shoot on TV. He is absolutely incredible to watch. When I watch any of the Master and GM shooters, my chin is on my knees with awe. I'm not sure of his gear, but wonder if he shoots a .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Does anyone know anything about his equipment and gear??

I’m still shooting the Para .45ACP. I’m only a “C” class shooter and when I started there was no .40 S&W around (A-12580). I stopped shooting for several years because of shift work and medical issues, and I’m just now getting started again. I’m very excited about shooting USPSA again. I only shot four club matches last year, but I’ve found some clubs closer than Tallahassee I can attend. I’m still looking to see the front sight LIFT from the rear notch. I see it return each time, but still can’t see it lift. I’ll continue to watch, and maybe as I have read on this forum, it will happen when I’m NOT trying to see it.

Dan0

Dan0,

The way to see that front sight lift is to make that the top (only?) priority of your shooting. Sometimes you jsut have to block out the target from the equation...completely. If you are worried about hitting the target...and seeing the holes...then you will have a hard time seeing the front sight lift. Forget the target...forget the holes...make the goal to see the front sight lift.

That is far more important than our little debate about the 40 vs. the 45, or the single-stack vs. the double stack.

Thanks Flex,

I don't see much of the target (I do actually see it and it's pretty much a blur, I just know where I'm shooting at) when I'm watching for the front sight to lift. I couldn't tell you if there are are holes in target, because I'm watching the front sight come back down into the rear notch (I do see that much), but seeing that dad gummed thing LIFT is the issue with me. You spoke with me about this months ago and I'm still trying. I guess it was Yoda that said, "there is no try."

Dan0

Edit: is there a drill that will help????

I have just recently returned to the USPSA after a long vacation to do my share in raising my children. I pulled out the trusty .45 single stack and proceeded to shoot in the L10 class. I only have two 10 round mags and the rest on my non velcro belt only carry 8. My holster is the oldschool Safariland 008. I have yet to re-setup my dillon 550 so I'm shooting the winchester white box 230 fmj factory ammo (whats the PF on this stuff?).

Ive shot maybe 6 local matches since I've returned to the sport, All 6 in L10. I've won the L10 class in 3 of them and finished 2nd in the remaining. I would have to say the the SS .45 is in fact competitive in the L10 class. I am however in the process of building a Para .40 so I can go play in the Limited class too.

I have just recently returned to the USPSA after a long vacation to do my share in raising my children. I pulled out the trusty .45 single stack and proceeded to shoot in the L10 class. I only have two 10 round mags and the rest on my non velcro belt only carry 8. My holster is the oldschool Safariland 008. I have yet to re-setup my dillon 550 so I'm shooting the winchester white box 230 fmj factory ammo (whats the PF on this stuff?).

Ive shot maybe 6 local matches since I've returned to the sport, All 6 in L10. I've won the L10 class in 3 of them and finished 2nd in the remaining. I would have to say the the SS .45 is in fact competitive in the L10 class. I am however in the process of building a Para .40 so I can go play in the Limited class too.

I read somewhere that WWB 45acp is in the 850FPS range. That makes it about 195 by my math. WAY to hot.

JOe

Rob will more than likely be shooting a single stack 45 at the L10 nats this year.  Is he going to be at a disadvantage?  I thought so in 2002, but he proceeded to educate me (us).

I was supprissed to see that Rob was NOT shooting a single stack. When I asked him about it, he said he was trying to get used to the new limited gun for the world shoot, but that he wished he was shooting a single stack.

FWIW, I have shot both Limited and L-10 with a single stack. Have made Master with a single stack. Have won my division, and second overall at area matches twice with a single stack. (Yes tooting my own horn a little) If the course design is to the level it should be, then there is no real difference.

Ron,

I'm building this .40 myself. I've always wanted to bulid my own blaster so when a friend told me he had an old Para frame that he'd sell really cheap, I grabbed it. I'll post a pic when it's completed.

When it's done, I'll then have the choice of shooting in L10 and in Limited and it never hurts to have another toy in the safe!