Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One or Two Belt Setup for 3gun and USPSA

mrvip27

Belts  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I run an ELS Belt for that reason. I like the ability to remove the stuff I don't need for a 3-Gun stage. No pistol, take off the holster. No rifle, take off the mag holder, etc. The ability to easily configure the belt for what I needed was the draw. For USPSA, it works great also. I didn't have unlimited money, so this works well for both games.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It’s definitely feasible without question.  However, depending on individual preferences and usage, it’s usually better to have a dedicated setup for each game if you don’t want to compromise on your equipment position.  I use the ELS setup for 3gun but despite being able to have multiple locations to swap out gear, I find that the position and spacing is just not ideal from 3gun to USPSA without moving the actual mounts around.  So it’s either: compromise on mag position and/or spacing, move the ELS mounts each time when switching games or get a dedicated setup for each game. I chose to use a dedicated setup for each game because moving the ELS mounts around each time got old.

3 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Im new to the competitive scene. I want to do USPSA and 3 gun.

Do you think its feasible to use one belt setup? Using ELS for example?

Or is it best to run say a USPSA only setup and a 3 gun only setup?

Use ELS first.

Buy a second belt setup after a few months when you know exactly the gear you want for USPSA and dedicate ELS to three gun.

I only use one belt and just change one thing between IPSC and 3gun.  However I also run a belly band style shotgun shell caddy system, so no shotgun shells on my belt.  When going from IPSC to 3gun I remove the rear-most pistol mag pouch and replace it with a 2xAR mag holder.

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Use ELS first.

Buy a second belt setup after a few months when you know exactly the gear you want for USPSA and dedicate ELS to three gun.

Definitely considering that option.

i just use two different belt rigs (both double layer velcro, eg, cr speed or double alpha).  different holster for uspsa (limited/open) than for 3 gun (retention/hood).  so the only thing i'm really doubling up on are two mag pouches on my 3 gun belt.  and of course an extra two-layer belt.

i will but it will be a week.  but nothing real special.  uspsa belt has open/limited holster (double alpha race master magnetic) at roughly 2:30 and 3 cr speed versa mag pouches between 9 and 12.  3 gun rig has retention holster (blade tech WRS) at roughly 2:30, 2 blade tech mag pouches between 9 & 10, and 2 invictus shell caddies (each hold 8) in between holster and mag pouches, and an ar-15 mag pouch behind the holster.  for 2 gun i remove the shell caddies and add another ar-15 mag pouch in front of the holster (i'm a lefty with long guns).

2 hours ago, davsco said:

i will but it will be a week.  but nothing real special.  uspsa belt has open/limited holster (double alpha race master magnetic) at roughly 2:30 and 3 cr speed versa mag pouches between 9 and 12.  3 gun rig has retention holster (blade tech WRS) at roughly 2:30, 2 blade tech mag pouches between 9 & 10, and 2 invictus shell caddies (each hold 8) in between holster and mag pouches, and an ar-15 mag pouch behind the holster.  for 2 gun i remove the shell caddies and add another ar-15 mag pouch in front of the holster (i'm a lefty with long guns).

Thanks! I appreciate it.

IMO, it will depend on what division you want to shoot that will determine if a cross discipline belt setup will work easily. I shoot Limited/Production/PCC for USPSA. My Production rig gets used for PCC and Practical Division for 3 gun. My Limited setup only has one use, due to the holster and mag pouch location. I shoot a Tanfoglio Limited Custom Xtreme for Limited and a Stock 2 for Production/3 gun. This allows me to cut down on required mag pouches as well since they have the same dimension.

USPSA Production rules forces you to place mag pouches no further forward than you hip bone, so it naturally leaves a lot of real estate for other attachments. Below is how my Production belt gets setup for 3 different divisions.

USPSA setup Production:

DAA Pro belt

BOSS Hanger/Blade-tech holster with thumbscrews

5x DAA Racer pistol mag pouches with Alpha Rail

PCC:

DAA Pro belt

2x Gearcraft CZ Scorpion mag pouches modded to fit DAA Alpha rail pouch attachment I just pop off the unused pistol pouches to make room for the Gearcraft

3 Gun Practical Division:

DAA Pro belt

BOSS Hanger/Blade-tech holster w/ thumbscrews

2x Invictus Practical 2.8 with Blade-tech tek-lok and TMMS

1x California Competition Works Shell Caddy (for different shells if required)

2x DAA Racer pistol mag pouches with Alpha Rail

1x DAA Racer AR mag pouch with Alpha Rail

1x G-code Scorpion rifle mag pouch with tek-lok (if the stage requires unloaded rifle at the start)

As you can see, I only have to remove 2 Alpha rail from my Production belt to make room for the 3 gun setup. It's also easy to reconfigure back to production because all the pistol pouches are right next to the existing mag pouches. Using my Limited rig for 3 gun would require a lot more shuffling mag pouches and holster around.

2 hours ago, tt350z said:

IMO, it will depend on what division you want to shoot that will determine if a cross discipline belt setup will work easily. I shoot Limited/Production/PCC for USPSA. My Production rig gets used for PCC and Practical Division for 3 gun. My Limited setup only has one use, due to the holster and mag pouch location. I shoot a Tanfoglio Limited Custom Xtreme for Limited and a Stock 2 for Production/3 gun. This allows me to cut down on required mag pouches as well since they have the same dimension.

USPSA Production rules forces you to place mag pouches no further forward than you hip bone, so it naturally leaves a lot of real estate for other attachments. Below is how my Production belt gets setup for 3 different divisions.

USPSA setup Production:

DAA Pro belt

BOSS Hanger/Blade-tech holster with thumbscrews

5x DAA Racer pistol mag pouches with Alpha Rail

PCC:

DAA Pro belt

2x Gearcraft CZ Scorpion mag pouches modded to fit DAA Alpha rail pouch attachment I just pop off the unused pistol pouches to make room for the Gearcraft

3 Gun Practical Division:

DAA Pro belt

BOSS Hanger/Blade-tech holster w/ thumbscrews

2x Invictus Practical 2.8 with Blade-tech tek-lok and TMMS

1x California Competition Works Shell Caddy (for different shells if required)

2x DAA Racer pistol mag pouches with Alpha Rail

1x DAA Racer AR mag pouch with Alpha Rail

1x G-code Scorpion rifle mag pouch with tek-lok (if the stage requires unloaded rifle at the start)

As you can see, I only have to remove 2 Alpha rail from my Production belt to make room for the 3 gun setup. It's also easy to reconfigure back to production because all the pistol pouches are right next to the existing mag pouches. Using my Limited rig for 3 gun would require a lot more shuffling mag pouches and holster around.

Thank you for that information. That was something I was expecting to hear. I was originally looking at the double alpha stuff, especially the alpha rail...but then it got all confusing because I need to decide what I want to shoot in division wise like you said. How do you like the alpha rails compared to tek lok? Do you have any issues with the bladetech and retention for 3 gun?

Also anyway to get a picture?

Edited by mrvip27

I've owned DAA stuff for awhile and they are my go to setup so using the Alpha rail was a no brainer since I already had the pouches for it. The Alpha rails take up very little space and that naturally works better for smaller things like mag pouches because I can get them closer together.

The tek-lok is awesome in it's own right. Easy to attach and detach from the belt, and a lot of pouches/holsters are made in that configuration. The invictus practical caddys wouldn't fit on the alpha rails since it's to wide, its mounting location are made for either blade-tech tek-lok/TMMS or Safarilands ELS.

They are each good at their perspective task. I wouldn't want to run mag pouches on the tek-lok for production since they'd take up much more room (I run a 32" belt) and the fact that I'd have to do modifications to the Racers to get them to fit. Nor would I want to modify for the alpha rails to fit the caddys. It's kind of like picatinny and mlok/keymod. I don't see picatinny scope mounts being obsolete anytime soon because of how widespread and how well it works. However for handguard accessory, most will agree that the rails suck to hold and mlok/keymod is the better method for attaching lights/grips. I dont see them as a replacement for each other but rather they compliment each other and do certain tasks better.

1 hour ago, tt350z said:

I've owned DAA stuff for awhile and they are my go to setup so using the Alpha rail was a no brainer since I already had the pouches for it. The Alpha rails take up very little space and that naturally works better for smaller things like mag pouches because I can get them closer together.

The tek-lok is awesome in it's own right. Easy to attach and detach from the belt, and a lot of pouches/holsters are made in that configuration. The invictus practical caddys wouldn't fit on the alpha rails since it's to wide, its mounting location are made for either blade-tech tek-lok/TMMS or Safarilands ELS.

They are each good at their perspective task. I wouldn't want to run mag pouches on the tek-lok for production since they'd take up much more room (I run a 32" belt) and the fact that I'd have to do modifications to the Racers to get them to fit. Nor would I want to modify for the alpha rails to fit the caddys. It's kind of like picatinny and mlok/keymod. I don't see picatinny scope mounts being obsolete anytime soon because of how widespread and how well it works. However for handguard accessory, most will agree that the rails suck to hold and mlok/keymod is the better method for attaching lights/grips. I dont see them as a replacement for each other but rather they compliment each other and do certain tasks better.

So would you suggest going the alpha route?

5 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

So would you suggest going the alpha route?

For me, that was the easiest and most economical route since I already had 2x 1.5” belt And 5x racer pouches. Going to an ELS setup would require a 1.75” belt and modifying the plates so it didn’t make sense for me. They also work great, so just on that merit I would still go with them.

Edited by tt350z

3 hours ago, tt350z said:

For me, that was the easiest and most economical route since I already had 2x 1.5” belt And 5x racer pouches. Going to an ELS setup would require a 1.75” belt and modifying the plates so it didn’t make sense for me. They also work great, so just on that merit I would still go with them.

Thank you for answering.

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, inspector1999 said:

I run an ELS Belt for that reason. I like the ability to remove the stuff I don't need for a 3-Gun stage. No pistol, take off the holster. No rifle, take off the mag holder, etc. The ability to easily configure the belt for what I needed was the draw. For USPSA, it works great also. I didn't have unlimited money, so this works well for both games.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Exactly!

Except I'm backwards.  Lefty pistol shooter and righty rifle.  ELS Belt also let me configure for PCC

• 2 weeks later...

ELS for multi gun and IPSC, its true that there is tendency not to get the best set up for your gear since the ELS receiver plate is fix to your belt. I attached all my ELS receiver plates to Bladetech Teclok which can allow you to make some minor adjustment before the a specific match. btw, the Teklock is not that expensive, around $12.00

10 hours ago, ffgats said:

ELS for multi gun and IPSC, its true that there is tendency not to get the best set up for your gear since the ELS receiver plate is fix to your belt. I attached all my ELS receiver plates to Bladetech Teclok which can allow you to make some minor adjustment before the a specific match. btw, the Teklock is not that expensive, around $12.00

Care to show a pic?