Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Daylight Bright 3G Scope

Hawk21

So I read all the reviews on the new trijicon accupower 1-8 not being daylight bright and purchased it anyway thinking it would be such a step up from my strike eagle in clarity I wouldn't mind losing a bright glowing reticle....Wrong!

What options are out there for a daylight bright mid level 1x? 

Trijicon accupoint - Triangle.  Fiber optic + tritium.  unbelievable brightness where you have to actually turn it down because some people say it is too bright.

Ive gone through 2x Leupold 1-6x with the red dot and the CMR2.  Had to get rid of them because they completely washed out even in overcast days.

+1 for the Trijicon. The fiber optic aspect of the reticle is mega bright. I have 2 of the TR-24s but I think the newer version, TR-25 is a 1-6x. I have not owned more expensive optics but I was very impressed and happy with the glass on the Trijicons.

Here’s a link to a great review of the tr-24 :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd also look at the Vortex Viper PST II 1-6x. Both that and the Steiner Px4i 1-4x are both like more affordable versions of the Razor 1-6. They all have the same clean reticle with a daylight bright dot, but the Razor has the best glass and the highest price ($1300), followed by the Viper ($750) and then the Steiner (which you can get with a mount now for about $450). All great options. I shoot the Steiner in 3gun (so does the guy doing the Trijicon review for what it's worth, he's a friend of mine) and it's awesome. If the viper had been out when I bought my Steiner I would have probably bought that. Great bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/30/2017 at 2:37 PM, chinny33 said:

Trijicon accupoint - Triangle.  Fiber optic + tritium.  unbelievable brightness where you have to actually turn it down because some people say it is too bright.

Ive gone through 2x Leupold 1-6x with the red dot and the CMR2.  Had to get rid of them because they completely washed out even in overcast days.

On the Leupold 1-6x, are you talking about the VX6 or Mark 6.  If the Mark 6, this would be the first time I've seen someone say it isn't daylight bight. I think the Mark 6 is very daylight bright as is the Burris 1-8 SFP (emphasis on second focal plane). If your budget allows, then swarovski 1-6, 1-8 and kahles are options as well. 

Huh, I really like my Trijicon 1-8, I’m actually running that and plan to offload my Razor 1-6.  I never felt the need to use the highest setting on my Razor, maybe it’s my eye but when those dots get bright I get a lot of bleed, and I don’t like the way it “starbursts” at the really bright settings.  With the Trijicon it may get overpowered a bit in super bright conditions, but that reticle is stall hard for me to lose, even if it’s not brightly lit compared to a target in bright sun.

I’ve been in limited the last couple years, and always run my Aimpoint at one of the lowest settings where the dot is visible to make it more “crisp,” so it could just be a preference thing.  I like the etched reticles of the Trijicon and the Vortex spitfire for this, they don’t bleed as much.  The Spitfire was much better for me on the long stuff than the Aimpont for this reason, and I like the little extra power of the 1-8 and feel the Trijicon glass and reticle are very “crisp.”

I’ve heard nothing but stellar reviews of Kahles & Swaro, if you can swing them.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:47 PM, Hawk21 said:

Is your experience with the "platinum" or standard versions? Bigggg price difference  between the two so I would expect clarity and eye box to be vastly different also.

Had two "standards" a 1-6 and 1-8, and one platinum 1-8. All had very bright illumination. Not much difference that I could tell in clarity between the 1-8s but the platinum had less forgiving eye-relief.

17 hours ago, bushmeat said:

Had two "standards" a 1-6 and 1-8, and one platinum 1-8. All had very bright illumination. Not much difference that I could tell in clarity between the 1-8s but the platinum had less forgiving eye-relief.

I have a standard 1-6x, but it's a gen 1 and absolutely not daylight bright.  Even on a lightly overcast day with the illumination maxed out, it just barely gives the reticle a reddish tint. I haven't used the illumination more than 2-3 times since I got it.  I've heard that the gen 2 Primary Arms scopes are brighter, but I haven't tried one out yet.

5 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

I have a standard 1-6x, but it's a gen 1 and absolutely not daylight bright.  Even on a lightly overcast day with the illumination maxed out, it just barely gives the reticle a reddish tint. I haven't used the illumination more than 2-3 times since I got it.  I've heard that the gen 2 Primary Arms scopes are brighter, but I haven't tried one out yet.

I'd say that illum isn't working. My Gen 1 1-6x was bright! Had a different issue with the scope.  Sent it back for repair. They couldn't fix it. Gave me store credit on a new scope! 

Contact Marshall at Primary Arms. Honestly, I was quite surprised how responsive they were to customer issues. They will try to make you happy.

7 hours ago, bushmeat said:

I'd say that illum isn't working. My Gen 1 1-6x was bright! Had a different issue with the scope.  Sent it back for repair. They couldn't fix it. Gave me store credit on a new scope! 

Contact Marshall at Primary Arms. Honestly, I was quite surprised how responsive they were to customer issues. They will try to make you happy.

I've heard quite a few people say that they felt the gen 1 1-6 wasn't daylight bright, but it's probably worth shooting an email to them anyways.  Thanks.

I’ve got a more in depth look at the scope here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Burris-XTR-ii-1-8x24/18-705242/

Thanks, I saw that and got confused because the reticle you showed didn't match the reticle on the Burris website. The reticle on the Burris website doesn't go all the way up to the top. See:

https://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles/ballistic-dot

Very confusing.

• 2 weeks later...