Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New strong mount for my old 550b

I've had a 550b for about 5 years but I had it mounted directly to my bench, no strong mount. I just got a 650 about 8 weeks ago and attached it to a strong mount. I like the strong moutn so well, I just got one for my 550b and just got it set up. 

y4m52dfxrZJvNcfWlZ-HJsznJP5tupfXnSvnVAs5

y4mSuQ-jIEt2Lrkz5JoBuB5cKedeXTtuFrHklsid

My question is: Is there anything I can get that will bring the empty cases up closer to the shell plate. I've seen pictures showing an empty case bin up even with the loaded cartridge bin, but I'm not sure these were DIllon items, maybe Inline Fabrication. Thats quite a reach from the bench to the shell plate/platform now that I have the press on a strong mount. Getting a case feeder for my 550b is not an option as most of my loading will be done on my 650.

Edited by GregInAtl

On 9/30/2017 at 4:26 PM, Currently said:

No.  It looks like that.  

Go go to the RL550 section .... not the square deal section.  

The part number I gave you is the correct one for the RL550

OK, I see it now. Wish I had thought of that earlier. I just ordered a strong mount and bullet tray about a week ago and just got it the day before yesterday. Guess, I'll have to place another order.

3 minutes ago, GregInAtl said:

OK, I see it now. Wish I had thought of that earlier. I just ordered a strong mount and bullet tray about a week ago and just got it the day before yesterday. Guess, I'll have to place another order.

I made almost the same exact choices you made ....

550/650 Strong mount for 650, too tall.

ordered 650 strong mount ... Yep, like that.

put the 550/650  strong mount on the 550 and decided to keep it but didn't like the shell feed height.  

Ordered the shell bin and like it much better.  

I wish there was some documentation where one buys an accessory, other accessories are "strongly recommended."

that at way we don't get hit with extra shipping charges.  

14 minutes ago, Currently said:

I made almost the same exact choices you made ....

550/650 Strong mount for 650, too tall.

ordered 650 strong mount ... Yep, like that.

put the 550/650  strong mount on the 550 and decided to keep it but didn't like the shell feed height.  

Ordered the shell bin and like it much better.  

I wish there was some documentation where one buys an accessory, other accessories are "strongly recommended."

that at way we don't get hit with extra shipping charges.  

I called DIllon and gave them my sob story, thinking they might waive the shipping charge since I just bought the strong mount and bullet tray from them 6 days ago........nada. IMO they should offer the strong mount, bullet tray and case tray as an optional package package. I don't know why anyone would want the strong mount and not the trays. It's almost a 9" reach with every case without the tray.

15 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

The Strong Mount may also put your 550 at a better height for less wear and tear on your right arm. Also would strongly suggest replacing the ball with a roller handle.

On 10/2/2017 at 8:56 AM, 191138sc said:

The Strong Mount may also put your 550 at a better height for less wear and tear on your right arm. Also would strongly suggest replacing the ball with a roller handle.

Yes, I like the strong mount. I used the 550b for about 4 years mounted directly to the table. Then I bought a 650 about 2 months ago along with a strong mount for it. I liked the strong mount so well, I got one for the 550 last week. I had the roller handle on the 550 but I took it off to use on the 650 and put the ball handle back on the 550. If I end up using the 550 very much, I will probably get another roller handle but I am using the 650 most of the time, so it gets the roller handle for now.