Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buy a S1050 or a mark7 for my 650?

Can't decide what to do. Get a new s1050 set up for one caliber or go ahead and get a mark7 for my current fully loaded 650? I only load .40 and 9mm and I don't change them very often. If I get the mark7 I already have everything else on the 650 but I hear that a S1050 is much smoother and more reliable especially once you go automated. I would have to wait another year to automate the s1050 but I could set it up for .40 and run 9 on the 650. Anyone with experience with both presses have some suggestions? Thanks

Can't help with input but I'm faced with the same decision! Gonna do something by Christmas this year. I'm leaning toward the 1050 to deal with crimped primers in 9mm. Sorting brass is not something I really do, aside from culling stepped casese.

Between primer seating depth adjustment and primer pocket swaging, I think the 1050 is the route to go. But then I plan to shoot  20,000 rounds next year and an automated press would be so much easier.

The 1050 is the better press. Between swaging on the press, the priming system and priming on the down stroke it's worth every penny if you're reloading that many rounds. Crimped primers aren't the only reason the swage is useful. Every now and then you may run into an issue of a ringed primer in your primer pocket. You will feel that BEFORE you try to jam a new primer in with the swage on the 1050. Same for a primer that magically gets pulled back into the primer pocket at decap. 

Swapping between calibers is a bit easier on the 650. However, if you're loading on a 1050 or better an automated 1050 you can load big batches and not waste time swapping over constantly. 

Ive tried the 1050 twice for 9mm.  It is great until it locks up due to squished primer or out of rpund primers.  There is a new primer slide instead of the rubber tubing thst may be better.  1050 is smoother feeling but 650 is trouble free.  I sold the 1050 and wwill either add mark7 650 or wait on revolution.

The only drawback to the S1050 I've noticed is the extra expense of caliber changes. I've owned both machines and have no desire to go back to the 650. Priming on the downstroke and infinite primer seating depth are priceless.  

22 hours ago, contendernut said:

Ive tried the 1050 twice for 9mm.  It is great until it locks up due to squished primer or out of rpund primers.  There is a new primer slide instead of the rubber tubing thst may be better.  1050 is smoother feeling but 650 is trouble free.  I sold the 1050 and wwill either add mark7 650 or wait on revolution.

I'm just the opposite picked up a used 1050 then over the following 8 months picked up 650's cause the deals were to good to pass and each time tried to warm up to using them instead of changing the 1050 over and just didn't enjoy using them and sold each off and use the 1050 and a 550

I would definitely go with S1050, you can always add some kind of drive later. 

Like any other machine, the 1050 can have minor issues, but I have two and they have been generally quite reliable.  Not 100%, mind you, but close enough so once you learn to handle the issues, they become friendly enough.  Just don't force them when they try to tell you something is not right.

Never had a 1050. I have a mark 7 on a 650. I was too invested in the 650 to change to a 1050/mark7. I have loading toolheads for 9, 40, 223, 300blk. Processing/converting toolheads for 223, 300blk. I can't imagine the cost to have caliber conversions on a 1050 For all that. I use a Swageit and it's ehhhh, it's satisfactory for LC brass, but anything else it's frustrating. You don't have to worry about swaging so I say just mark 7 your 650. It helps to have your press dialed in before adding then mark 7. I struggled a little bit with 223, but never had it dialed in running manually. I can run .40 at 1500rph all day and works flawless. Mark 7 has primer depth adjustment as well.
The swaging is the only downside to a 650. Pulling the handle sucks, ill take a 650/MK7 over a manual 1050.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm leaning towards just getting a s1050 for now and I might just get the ammobot. I have two friends that have auto presses. One has the 650 and mark7 and another has a s1050 and the ammobot. The s1050 and ammobot combo is much faster and seems to have less issues. 

Long time Lee Loadmaster user here. I had purchased a 650 and while it was a better machine, it wasn't so much better for me to justify the cost so I sold it and bought another Loadmaster.

I recently bought an S1050 and the difference between that and the 650 is friggin amazing! I added the Mr. bullet feeder and I am loading 1600 rounds an hour. I am literally out of components at the moment but am starting to stock back up and am probably going to order a 9mm conversion for it next week, it's set up for .40 right now. The only issue I have with the 1050 is that it will resize both 10mm and 357 sig and you never know that it was in the press until it gets around to the bullet seating station. Huge flare on the 10mm and a slight crinkle on the 357sig. The 357sig cases will take the .40 bullet and run fine in the gun. I need to do a better job of separating my brass.

If you like reloading and tinkering, do not get the 1050, if you want to load a years worth of rounds in a very short amount of time, get the 1050.

At one time I had 2 650's on my bench. I added a 1050, now I have 3 1050's. One has a Ponsess Warren drive, you may find that you don't need the auto drive.They are outstanding machines that you could never wear out. I would buy the 1050 and consider if you really need the drive. 

dcalvert

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 4:14 AM, dcalvert said:

I would buy the 1050 and consider if you really need the drive. 

dcalvert

I bought a 1050 and ran it briefly before adding a Mk7.  The combo is just great.  When it's set up right you can just push a button and select the speed and it takes off.  The biggest problem is keeping the primer magazine, bullet feeder and case feeder filled.

I would suggest getting the 1050 then a Mark 7 for it down the road. I have a friend who has a Mark 7'd xl650 and he says if he could do it over he would do the 1050. It is just a better press, and much better automated.

If you were going to spend the $$ on the mark 7 for the xl650, getting a 1050 and then a Mark 7 X is not that much of a jump cost-wise (if you were planning on selling the xl650 to fund part of it). Plus they will probably run another 10% sale or something along those lines over black friday for the Mark 7. 

***on a side note - I personally would skip the ammobot and go with a Mark 7 X. Comparing the 650 speed to the 1050 automated is not really a fair comparison of the auto drive companies themselves. The 650 is much slower because of the press design and limitations, mark 7 even states that on the 650 pro model, anything over 1400 RPH is for small pistol brass processing only, the base one has speeds of 900 and 1200 RPH only. The 1050 X will run as fast you will be able to reliably load 9mm/40 i.e. 2100 RPH***

Edited by MHitchcock

I was in the same situation you are in. I debated exactly the same- in the end I opted for the 1050. I am SOOOOOOOO glad I did. The 1050 is a great machine. I still have 2 650s on my bench that are collecting dust. I actually plan on selling them and getting another 1050 at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...

I have both presses automated, the 650 and 2 1050's.  I suggest you go 1050.  The 650 drive works great but the press is more finicky. 
Right now you can trade in your 650 for I think $600 credit towards a 1050 and autodrive through Mk7.  

you install either one yourself.  The 1050 takes about 30 minutes tops to have running.  The 650 will take a couple hours.  

Just how many rounds (per session, per year) are you guys reloading to justify this level of a machine?  I am curious as I am ramping up to 10K rounds a year on my 650 but that is a lot of reloading in the winter.  

Just how many rounds (per session, per year) are you guys reloading to justify this level of a machine?  I am curious as I am ramping up to 10K rounds a year on my 650 but that is a lot of reloading in the winter.  

I would guess I’m doing 10k. But the nice thing is not pulling the handle. Not spending the time reloading. If i want to bang out some rounds quickly I’ll set the machine on 1500rph, monitor it, refill brass, Bullets, primers, without the machine stopping, bang out 3000 rounds in a couple hours. Other times I’ll just set the machine on 900 or 1200. Set it stop after 100 primers and walk away do other stuff. Come back, refill primers, push start. Walk away. Repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk