Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Trainers for PCC in Southeast or Mid-west

I am switching to PCC and I am looking for a training Class/instructor for PCC.  I have gone to Ben's Classes, great help, so I know the value of learning from the best.  Location area is anywhere from Oklahoma to Florida and as far north as Tenn. I am open to group or individual training, I just want to do it right and develop the right habits and techniques from the get go.  I have found tactical training classes but not sure that is what I want to do for PCC USPSA???

Thank you for help with this, I believe in good training and I am finding it hard to figure out who I need to go to.

I'm not aware of anyone providing training specifically for PCC in USPSA yet.

However, I watch a lot of Maxamundi's PCC videos on YouTube to study movement, gun handling, etc as he won Area1, Area4, Optic Nationals, and a host of other events:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSu1aXNpFlKbxLs7Pk0U0qQ .  Also ClearAdvantageTV has some good videos on getting started and some other techniques. I believe he won Mississippi state: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBsKaKEyagjnjZNcnBsA_1Q

I'll watch some 3-gun rifle techniques for close shooting, but a lot out there is setup for 100+ yard shooting as well (like Jerry Miculek's Practical Rifle series). There are still some great tips there: http://www.miculek.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26

I think there is a huge opportunity for someone to start up training for PCC. However, the division is so new, I think everyone is waiting to see what techniques excel - Max Leograndis is definitely at the forefront.

Edited by Roons

I don't know if Josh with ClearAdvantageTV plans on becoming an instructor, but if he does he will be top notch.   I've shot a few matches with him and its interesting to see his analysis of a stage.  Very easy going and willing to share ideas with fellow shooters.

He does not limit himself to PCC.  Check out his videos on YouTube.

Hello: Come and shoot here in Georgia in our local matches. You will learn very quickly. We had a PCC only match here today that was tons of fun. Come on over and you will learn a lot quickly from all our friendly shooters here. They plan to have a PCC match every month starting in November at South River gun club. It is the Atlanta 3gun group who puts this on with Rob Romero as the match director. This was the first one and it is off to a great start. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I'll throw a name out for you ... Shannon Smith at USA.

www.ShannonSmithShooting.com

Very few instructors can match his credentials for performance or teaching experience.  

Shannon was teaching Pistol and Carbine  well before PCC was a thing in USPSA.

His performance with pistols has been proven and I can vouch that he knows his way around a carbine too.

In addition to that, he works out of one of the best training ranges in the country.

Reach out to him about what you want, he is a really nice guy.

Edited by L9X25

Also eagerly awaiting someone to offer a course in Texas.  Ben Stoeger's class was essential to get me going in the right direction for pistol, but there's a lot of issues in PCC that would really benefit from direct instruction from someone who really knows what they're doing - getting into and out of firing positions seems to be one of the big ones for me.

Yes, you can watch videos all day long, and shoot dozens of matches.  I've done both.  The problem is translating video to practice, and a typical 5 stage local club match gives you about 100 seconds of training.  Plus I have a bad feeling I'm just baking in bad habits.  

Having someone of Ben's caliber yelling at you over an intensive 2 day course when you're doing it wrong would be better than a hundred matches.  Lots of money being waved around here in PCC world for someone to step up and take...

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 1:34 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

I don't know if Josh with ClearAdvantageTV plans on becoming an instructor, but if he does he will be top notch.   I've shot a few matches with him and its interesting to see his analysis of a stage.  Very easy going and willing to share ideas with fellow shooters.

He does not limit himself to PCC.  Check out his videos on YouTube.

Well that's some undeserved flattery....I just do this thing as a hobby, but if anyone in TX wants to go out to the range with me to work on PCC, I'm down.

I'd be interested in what people think they need to work on with PCC that is specific to that discipline and that they can't get from something like a class from Ben.  

On 10/1/2017 at 10:14 AM, NervousEnergy said:

...but there's a lot of issues in PCC that would really benefit from direct instruction from someone who really knows what they're doing - getting into and out of firing positions seems to be one of the big ones for me.

Where in TX are you?

DFW, and I'm not the only one here that would take a class.

Ben probably COULD teach a PCC class, I just don't think he'd be down with it.  Getting quickly into firing positions from a sprint, shoulder transitions for tight corners, shooting on the move, stage planning when you can hit pretty much anything you can see... there's a lot of differences.  

You can honestly pick up most of that from videos and then be honest about practicing it, but there's a lot of value having someone there for a couple of days yelling at you to do it.  That's one of the big values of Ben's class - he's tireless and will push you for two solid DAYS, and your ass will move no matter how weary you are.  He's just that way.  

On 9/30/2017 at 7:16 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

We had a run and gun PCC/rifle match here today also.  Nothing past 25 yards but some tough shots that show some areas I need to practice.

Based on the turnout, its just a matter of time before someone steps up and offers to teach a class or  write a training book.  The demand is there.

So,  What if you have a really screwy problem..   For instance... 

I've shot a pistol weak hand and it's not a problem,  however if I shoulder the rifle in the opposite side, It's like seeing quad vision, its all screwy and  I still have perfect vision.   If I close my right eye "dominant"  I see the dot but it's blurry and out of focus, open right eye and dot leaves hah.

1 hour ago, jtrump said:

So,  What if you have a really screwy problem..   For instance... 

I've shot a pistol weak hand and it's not a problem,  however if I shoulder the rifle in the opposite side, It's like seeing quad vision, its all screwy and  I still have perfect vision.   If I close my right eye "dominant"  I see the dot but it's blurry and out of focus, open right eye and dot leaves hah.

Hello: If you are seeing a blurry dot with your non dominant eye with the dominant eye closed then--sorry to say you don't have perfect vision. Sounds like you have a astigmatism in your left eye vision. I have that and not perfect vision. One thing you can try is not closing your dominant eye all the way closed. Turn the dot down some and practice that. Then try keeping both eyes open. It may take a little time to train your eyes. Hope tho helps. Thanks, Eric

11 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If you are seeing a blurry dot with your non dominant eye with the dominant eye closed then--sorry to say you don't have perfect vision. Sounds like you have a astigmatism in your left eye vision. I have that and not perfect vision. One thing you can try is not closing your dominant eye all the way closed. Turn the dot down some and practice that. Then try keeping both eyes open. It may take a little time to train your eyes. Hope tho helps. Thanks, Eric

Hey Eric,   I literally had my eyes checked on Wednesday,  I'm not Bs'ing you haha.   My Left eye is much clearer that my right eye at 15 feet I can read the smallest line with easy with left eye, and right eye I struggle on the line above it.   I'm going to have to try to work with it in dry fire and see if I can figure out a way to do it.   What makes it trickey is the typical right eye dominant guy closes his left eye for long range precision shots "ELC AMMO",  so when I go to try and close my right eye by muscle memory I close my left and have to fight to open my left and close my right lol.  It's  a struggle.

Hello: It sounds like your eyes maybe cross dominating. I get this when I shoot skeet on station 1. I lightly squint my left eye to control this since I shoot right handed. It gets worse when I get tired. Practice will solve your problem since you have better eyes than me. Thanks, Eric