Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super Swage

I have had the Dillon super swage for 5 years and have swaged  a lot of brass. Mostly LC 556. Today I was going to use it to process some LC 556 and I cant get it to swage. I have no more adjustment. I have a swage( go, no go guage) and have used it in conjunction with the super swage.  Checking every so often. Cases are deprimed and cleaned with stainless steel media, like always. I called Dillon and they are sending me a new small swaging rod. Dillon acted surprised when I suggested that the rod had worn out. Anyone else run into this?  I took the super swage apart, cleaned and re lubed it. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue?

swage.jpg

swage1.jpg

I have not seen that but I have only had mine for 2 years and maybe have 5000 rounds through it.  I did buy it used so do not really know.  I can micro meter mine this afternoon and we can compare diameter.  Post a picture if you can. 

23 hours ago, cvincent said:

Geezus, no way in hell I'm swaging that much brass by hand one at a time. I'd buy processed brass before wearing out 12 rods.

I think I'm with you...my hands hurt just looking at that picture...

On 10/9/2017 at 4:24 PM, gigs said:

Yeah, they wear out.  I have quite a collection.

WlT3Hx7.jpg

If those aren't off a 1050 with an auto drive you have more patience than a Saint. I couldn't imagine swaging any of my brass off press much less wearing out that many rods...

• 2 years later...

Hi guys I was wondering if y'all could take a look at these pics and 

see if you think I should replace my swage rod. I'm using range brass that's been cleaned several times. I have an old rl1050 or maybe a RLK 1050 it's not black like the newer units are mine has a nickel plated color. I love this press it spits out pistol rounds like a MG42.but when I swapped over to 223/556 it started smearing and flat out destroying primers the primer attrition rate is outrageous. I have followed the instructions to the letter. But when I saw those pics of the guy that has 12 worn out. I said hell mine looks just like those. Any help would be helpful.

thanks 

Brandon 

Winfield AL

Thank you guys for the info y'all are awesome.

and thank y'all for responding so quickly. I tried to load more pics but it kept 

reading that they were to much data. Just for 1 pic but he best woman in the world helped me. She lets me wash an soak brass in her sink. Only when she's at school though.

8 hours ago, BTLT said:

Thank you guys for the info y'all are awesome.

and thank y'all for responding so quickly. I tried to load more pics but it kept 

reading that they were to much data. Just for 1 pic but he best woman in the world helped me. She lets me wash an soak brass in her sink. Only when she's at school though.

Best way to post pics here is on a PC if you still have one. I take pics with iphone then email them to myself, download on PC, then post from PC.

Thanks sarge  but we don't have a pic we just have our phones an I

pad. But I ordered a FanF  swage rod this morning I'm hoping this fixes my problem with my rl1050 destroying my very rare small rifle primers.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2020 at 12:30 PM, BTLT said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGiMfbCZx12CZpsq9

this is what my primers look like.but if I decap them and use my rcbs trimmer

station on the primer pockets it works perfectly. But doing 1500 rounds at a time it's very time consuming.and aggravating.

That's not right.  You can get one of these:  https://ballistictools.com/store/swage-gage-small-primer-pocket

Ensure that your primer pocket is deep enough to seat a primer.  Also helps to set your primer swage rod correctly.