Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springs/Followers for MBX?

aandabooks

Who makes better springs/followers for MBX mags?  I bought 2 140mm and 1 170mm for my Gold Custom.  I am getting some feed issues when shooting fast with double feeds and it feels like the springs could be stronger.  Followers look to be 3d printed.

Checked Grams website and they don't show anything available.  Also checked EAA for extended mags and they don't seem to list any options there.

13 hours ago, aandabooks said:

Who makes better springs/followers for MBX mags?  I bought 2 140mm and 1 170mm for my Gold Custom.  I am getting some feed issues when shooting fast with double feeds and it feels like the springs could be stronger.  Followers look to be 3d printed.

Checked Grams website and they don't show anything available.  Also checked EAA for extended mags and they don't seem to list any options there.

I don't have any experience with the mbx mags for tanfo but I do have one factory mag with an extended henning base pad using grams spring and follower and that works flawless and fits 23 reloadable 9mm rounds.

39 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Grams doesn't have anything available under the Tanfo tab.  Maybe just out of stock.

I am not sure why Grams doesn't have it listed on their website. I purchased the basepad and grams guts together.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/henning-eaa-tanfoglio-limited-open-basepad-base-pad/

51 minutes ago, Ck867 said:

I am not sure why Grams doesn't have it listed on their website. I purchased the basepad and grams guts together.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/henning-eaa-tanfoglio-limited-open-basepad-base-pad/

Bevin does not want to manufacture parts for MBX mags. He and I had pretty extensive discussions about the 140 and 170, when I was beta testing them for Adrian. 

As I've stated before, the tanfo MBX were made for Caspian open guns, and it just so happened they "kind of" worked in the GT. The were never manufactured specifically for a Tanfo. 

That being said, to get a MBX to run 100%, you need to use wooden dowels in a bench vice to create the indentations that the MBX lack. That is the reason for the feed issues and the nosedives.

I ordered 2 Henning basepads for a couple EAA 17rd mags that I have.  Those went together and get a reloadable 23 in them.  Did have to take a little material out of the magwell and blended.

Ordered 2 extra 140mm springs and followers.  Put those in the 140mm MBX mags.  The springs are longer than the MBX and the follower is wider.  In testing in my basement both mags hand cycled perfectly.  

i then noticed that the stock spring is the same length as the MBX 170mm.  Swapped the spring and stock follower into that mag.  Lost a round down to 27 but easily hand cycled.  I can shave height off the stock follower to try to get the round back.

I'll be at my range for live fire testing tomorrow and should have a live fire report.  Pretty excited by results so far.

Got out to test.  Both 140mm MBX ran great with the Henning internals.  Loaded to 22 and ran 3 mags through each.  One from each was a mag dump and both were 100%.

The stock 17rd with Henning extensions worked well except when I put 23 in one the follower bound at the bottom of mag.

The 170mm is still a work in progress.  Won't run with EAA internals more than a few rounds without the bullet binding by going straight into feed ramp.  Going to order the TF 170mm spring/follower.

On 9/27/2017 at 12:23 PM, SoCalShooter69 said:

Bevin does not want to manufacture parts for MBX mags. He and I had pretty extensive discussions about the 140 and 170, when I was beta testing them for Adrian. 

As I've stated before, the tanfo MBX were made for Caspian open guns, and it just so happened they "kind of" worked in the GT. The were never manufactured specifically for a Tanfo. 

That being said, to get a MBX to run 100%, you need to use wooden dowels in a bench vice to create the indentations that the MBX lack. That is the reason for the feed issues and the nosedives.

School me on the wood dowel / vice process.  I'm having the same double feed problem with the mbx 170mm mag in my tanfo gold team, 9mm major.

Thx.

Not yet.  Going to try some loads down to 1.125".  I'll get out on Friday to try.

Waiting for JJ Racaza to get more EAA 170mm mags in.  Haven't heard from him for over a week.

Picked up my 9mm Gold Team today I should be getting a loaner 170 mbx to try to tune next month, hopefully I can figure out a solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Aandabooks sold his gold team. I am in the gt experimental process myself. Best I'm getting so far is the Tanfoglio 170 mag with grams kit, and Mecgar mag with Taylor Freelance 140 pad + grams kit. There is word on the street there is something else special coming.... As far as the MBX they take tuning. There is a write up somewhere about squeezing them in a vise to get them to run. Good luck finding a tanfo 170. 

I was trying to get a couple 170s from JJ Racaza at his shop in Vegas.  They received some factory EAA in but didn't work out in testing.  Then they ordered Grams followers and went into testing.  I was calling them about once a week and never got to where they were ready to sell.

Hopefully I don’t give myself bad luck here, but I have used an MBX 170mm in my open Tanfo at 5 or 6 matches and several practice sessions and they run in both of my canyon creek open conversions.

I’m currently shooting 125 TC bullets at 1.165

Probably 2-3k fired through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kujo929 said:

Hopefully I don’t give myself bad luck here, but I have used an MBX 170mm in my open Tanfo at 5 or 6 matches and several practice sessions and they run in both of my canyon creek open conversions.

I’m currently shooting 125 TC bullets at 1.165

Probably 2-3k fired through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have they been squeezed?