Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DK Triggers?

JNW

I am interested in putting a DK competition trigger in my gun.  I have emailed them with questions several times in the last few weeks and have not gotten any response back.  Is this normal for them? Any issues?  If I can't get in touch with DK which other drop in triggers do you recommend?

Thanks,

Jeff

5 hours ago, JNW said:

I am interested in putting a DK competition trigger in my gun.  I have emailed them with questions several times in the last few weeks and have not gotten any response back.  Is this normal for them? Yes  Any issues?  Yes  If I can't get in touch with DK which other drop in triggers do you recommend?  I now don't really think any of the expensive trigger kits are worth it.  A new connector and some springs will get you most of the way there for just a few bucks.

Thanks,

Jeff

Southpaw,

I've read a bunch about Glock triggers and am overwhelmed.  Seems like everyone has their own collection of parts that they use on their guns.  I have a Gen 4 G34 with a - connector and the trigger is over 5 pounds.  I'd like a 3 to 3.5 pound trigger with a crisp break, decreased pretravel and overtravel compared to factory and a good reset.  How do I get there?

Thanks,

Jeff

41 minutes ago, JNW said:

Southpaw,

I've read a bunch about Glock triggers and am overwhelmed.  Seems like everyone has their own collection of parts that they use on their guns.  I have a Gen 4 G34 with a - connector and the trigger is over 5 pounds.  I'd like a 3 to 3.5 pound trigger with a crisp break, decreased pretravel and overtravel compared to factory and a good reset.  How do I get there?

Thanks,

Jeff

In my 34 Gen 4 I have a Zev connector, 4.5lb striker spring, reduced power firing pin safety spring, and an extra power trigger spring (the striker spring has the biggest affect on trigger weight, other two don't do all that much).  My trigger is 3.25lbs with these few parts.  It's more of a rolling break, certainly not a crisp break like a 1911, but I like it.  I believe Zev and Lone Wolf sell trigger mechanism housings with built in adjustable over travel stops for about $20; I've never tried one though.  To reduce pre-travel safely while maintaining proper function of all internal safeties you need more parts like one of the aftermarket kits as you'll need to modify the trigger bar to engage the firing pin safety later in the trigger pull.  But I don't think pre-travel matters that much as I don't fully release the trigger after each shot.  But I also don't ride the reset, which is why reset also doesn't matter.

I'm not saying the expensive trigger kits aren't better than my cheap ~$25 worth of parts.  I've tried some aftermarket triggers that felt quite nice, but I don't know if I actually shoot that much better with them during a match.  If you've got money to burn you could try the Vanek kit.  I hear lots of good things about it, but have never tried one myself.  Just don't expect it to come out as nice as a 1911 as no matter how much money you throw at it, it's still a Glock ;)

That's just my opinion; I know plenty of people are very happy with some of the expensive trigger kits.  Oh and I also think getting an aftermarket striker is a waste of money.  All that does is possibly allow you to use a 4lb striker spring without getting light strikes (yet I've still gotten light strikes with this setup).  You can use a 4.5lb striker spring with the OEM striker and won't get light strikes as long as you replace it every few thousand rounds.

I have been running a DK Trigger in my Glock 34 Gen 3 for the last 2 years and really like it. I also have a Glock 35 that I pieced worked on with springs and a 3.5lb connector. Both accomplished the same thing for me and that was a reduction in pull weight, which improved my group size at the range. The DK Trigger just adds the benefit of cleaning the slop and overtravel that you have in the factory Trigger. When shooting for speed I can't tell a difference. 

I've got a dk triggers in both my 34 and 35. Lighter trigger pull with reduction in pretravel and over travel. I can achieve similar trigger weight with a polishing and spring kit. Not sure I notice the pretravel over travel adjustments when I shoot fast. I just ordered a zev kit, mainly due to the wider trigger shoe.

Never used the DK trigger,     I have tried the trigger relocation method and hiding it with extra plastic filler,  "it can go burp" on you, don't really recommend doing that.  I've tried a zev kit and it was "adequate"  nothing spectacular, just slightly less of a trigger pull, about what you would get doing polishing/disco/springs yourself basically.   I've got two of Johhny Glock's triggers in my 17 and 34.   Pre-travel set to the very min, zero over travel with a solid wall,  2lb break.     I've felt much worse triggers in 2011's and 1911's.   From my limited experience it's the best glock trigger I've personally felt.   Plus you get it in a week, he builds it exactly how you want "IE: rolling break or aggressive"  and will face time you, call you on the spot/text you if you need any help at all.  Great Customer service.  

I'm not suppose to rant on the forums so I won't but I've heard DK makes good triggers I personally did not get the customer service I wanted, which is how I ended up with these awesome trigger groups. 

9 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

I went with zev because I wanted a different trigger shoe, flat or wide. Most of the flat trigger shoes I see are reserved for tactical guns. Nobody is doing one with adjustable pre travel and over travel.

Johhny will build your trigger whatever way you want..  It's like filling out the paperwork for a custom SVI build,  but it's just for the trigger.  Guarantee he can do it, give him a call.

19 hours ago, JNW said:

Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me.  

Not  sure what I'm going to do at this point.  My trigger is absolutely stock.  May just do the .25 trigger job and get some springs.  

Jeff

Good idea Jeff,    it's cheap and with some polish and a little tuning of the 3.5lb connector you can really get a good trigger out of it.

2 hours ago, jtrump said:

Good idea Jeff,    it's cheap and with some polish and a little tuning of the 3.5lb connector you can really get a good trigger out of it.

I hear people say tune the connector. How does one tune it?  

9 hours ago, Dieselvrr said:

say what? lol

Around the 18 minute mark, look where the connector sits,  there is another video that shows it specifically but I can't find it,  it's made by the same person if you choose to look for it.

Got my zev installed. Been playing with it but no rounds down range. Can definitely tell the difference between it and the DK in my other guns. The DK is lighter and more crisp. Worried about light primer strikes with the lighter striker spring so I’m going to order the zev extended lightened striker. Might try the mod Jonny glock has in his video above when he talks about taking some metal off the downward leg of striker. Like the wider trigger shoe though in the zev.

Edited by sheepdog566

9 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

Got my zev installed. Been playing with it but no rounds down range. Can definitely tell the difference between it and the DK in my other guns. The DK is lighter and more crisp. Worried about light primer strikes with the lighter striker spring so I’m going to order the zev extended lightened striker. Might try the mod Jonny glock has in his video above when he talks about taking some metal off the downward leg of striker. Like the wider trigger shoe though in the zev.

This is why I always recommend the full kit. For the price difference from the badic to custom kit you can not buy a stand alone striker for the same amount of money. Forget about "fast lock up times" with a lightened striker. That is just some sales pitch. What it comes down to is mass and velocity. The lighter springs can not sling that full weight striker efficienctly and maintain reliable ignition like it can with the lightweight ones. 

On 9/27/2017 at 2:23 PM, JNW said:

Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me.  

Not  sure what I'm going to do at this point.  My trigger is absolutely stock.  May just do the .25 trigger job and get some springs.  

Jeff

Not a problem. A .25c polish job and springs will definitely improve the trigger but it will not get you what my kit will get you. There is alot more done to my kits than some like to think and express. I have put a lot of time into figuring out the changes I have made. I didnt just get to use the TTI connector by accident lol. He likes my work and allows me to use it and that in itself speaks volumes. 

Dan,

I realize that polishing, new springs and a different disconnector won’t change everything as much as I’d like.  However, I’m not a big competition guy and just want to see how well I can make my Glock shoot without spending too much money.  Springs from Wolff are $15 with shipping and I’ll see how it feels.  I don’t even know if I can competently shoot a 2.5 pound trigger in a centerfire gun, so a full competition kit might not work for me.  I really do appreciate everyone’s input on this.  I’ll let you know how I progress.

Regards,

Jeff